1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Polish gameplay article - some new info

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JtW, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

For misclick they can make it that you can switch until you have pressed "next turn" and only then it becomes locked. I don't think I switch techs but perhaps with eurekas it will be more interesting to do it.

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I think the issue is will you get the Eureka before you want the tech?
    If I want Writing for campuses, I might not wait to delay it until I meet another civ

If I'm land locked, that 43% I put into Fishing, that I won't finish until 1830 AD, that research could have been used to help me get horsemen or markets earlier.

The fact is a half researched tech is science that isn't doing anything for you (like keeping cash under your mattress instead of investing it.
    If you aren't going to get the Eureka soon, 1/2 researching is a bad idea.

3. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

Also, by the middle ages fishing can be done in 1-2 turns without the eureka, so why bother getting it? Writing, I think, is the most problematic because it is needed for further research. Even then rushing naval techs might help you meeting another civ. Also, You will have a little more time to get it with no enemies at the door.

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom

Remember that we have not yet seen the tech trees. I mean, obviously Writing will be a tech that leads to certian big trees but you're making an assumption th at Writing will be more important than fishing.

5. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

My assumption is based on that it was said that it is required for a campus, which is needed for other research buildings. If you want to boost research you will need writing. There might be some ways around it, but no campuses will be bad for your science.

6. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Writing is always an early tech plus with Eureka moments seems like something that gets breezed through

7. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

Meeting another civ (the condition for writing eureka) is easy unless you start on an island.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

There's no need to disable tech switching as long as a Eureka boost applies only to the tech in question with no overflow (which should be a no-brainer). If the obsessive-compulsives want to switch techs every time they get to 50% to make sure they never waste any of the boost... well, let 'em.

9. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

I don't know why so many people are thinking there's going to be overflow. Even if Eurekas work by giving you a lump sum of beakers rather than by actually reducing the cost of the relevant tech, it seems clear that those beakers would only apply to the relevant tech and to no others. Why would they go to all the trouble of establishing a Eureka for every tech for the specific purpose of making tech advancements be more dependent on your situation, and then be careless enough to let Eurekas be applied haphazardly to techs they have nothing to do with?

Say your empire is currently landlocked, and you're researching Writing. You're only a turn or two away from completing it, and suddenly your Scout comes across your first new civilization. The Eureka gives you Writing instantly, so you bring up the menu of techs available to research and choose Sailing. Remember, you're landlocked. You have no coastal cities, but you were so close to getting Writing anyway that all that overflow means you're almost halfway to completing Sailing now. Meeting the other civ gave you almost a full Eureka toward Sailing.

No. This would be ridiculous. It would defeat the purpose of the Eureka system so thoroughly that I would be shocked if they have actually been so slipshod as to apply the system in this way. I have to assume that the research boost you get from a Eureka can only be applied to the tech that the Eureka is for, and whatever amount of research you got beyond what was needed to finish the tech will be discarded. I can't see the Eureka system working otherwise.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It would make no sense for eurekas to give overflow science. That defeats the whole purpose. I do think that eurekas will probably apply to a tech even if you have not researched it yet. The game could just remember to give you the discount as soon as you start researching it. But if eurekas apply to future techs, I am concerned that would make techs too easy to get since players could focus on the right actions to get eurekas first and just rack up the discounts before even starting to research the tech in question. So perhaps, the game will only apply the eureka if you are currently researching that tech. This would force the player to pay attention to what they are doing and what they are researching. It would also solve the above problem by preventing players form easily getting discounts for future techs. It would also fit with the name better "eureka". Basically, you are currently researching something and you do something that makes your scientists go "eureka! we figured it out". And obviously, eurekas cannot apply retroactively after you have finished researching a tech. That would make no sense.

11. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

I can see where those who play in the Game of the Month will, once the Eurekae are figured out, try and micromanage their techs to gain as much as they can out of the bonus. If there is no overflow ( i agree that there shouldn't be) that will encourage micromanagement.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

12. IkM

IkM King

Same here! That sounds great!

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

By the way, Pete Murray of Firaxis, just confirmed to me via Twitter that eurekas do apply to techs that you have not started researching yet.

14. Haig

Haig Deity

When Eureka takes place, a light bulb appears on screen and you can hear a Windows 95 start up -sound

15. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Makes sense. It would be too fiddly otherwise.

16. SilverKnight06

SilverKnight06 Chieftain

Doesn't "friendly villages" basically equal to city-states?

17. ftl

ftl Warlord

I can imagine two ways for the boosts to work - either it gets you 50% of the way there, or it reduces the remaining cost by 50%.

So, say I've researched half or writing. I get the boost. Am I now completely done with researching writing (I was halfway there, the boost gave me the other half) or am I 75% done (I was halfway there, the boost cut the remaining time in half, so now I'm three fourths of the way there).

From a gameplay point of view, the second approach would discourage even starting on a tech until you've got a boost for it, there wouldn't be a point to half-researching a tech.

18. rastak

rastak Emperor

Very true. I think simply reducing the total cost by 50% makes the most sense. If you are below 50 already, you instantly learn it.

19. chaosprophet

chaosprophet Warlord

As of now, it does 50% of the research, and not of what is left. The gameplay video show that clearly with Writing and Military Tradation a bit over 50% completely instantly after the eureka even without the need of the turn to end. Although it may change 5 months from now on release.

20. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

The problem is not here. In Civ5 overflow from tech exists and it allowed avoiding micromanagement, so I assume it exists in Civ6. In this case the question is not whether we have overflow or not - we have, the question is - how overflow works with eurekas.