Politeness Counts

Vindicator7

Chieftain
I started a game as the Chinese, emperor level, standard terra map. I fell behind quickly and was dead last out of 8 civs. I also was beaten to all the early religions so I didn't have a state religion. Slowly 3 religions spread into some of my cities. I noticed that the top two civs both had Judaism. They were not close to me and I had open borders with both of them, so they were already +2 favorable towards me. I decided to take Judaism as my state religion. I immediately got a another +2. So the top two civs liked me a lot.

At first I just did it because I thought they would be less likely to attack me, but then I "asked" for some techs for free and they just gave them to me. To qualify this, they were not any modern techs for the era, the new techs I was researching were in the low thousands in beakers and the techs I asked for were around 200-400, but still, I got 3 free techs that would of cost me around 1,000-1,500 coin. I haven't tried to get any more pricey techs yet.

you can do almost anything on prince and below difficulty, certainly in custom games where you check a few boxes you like

Yeah, I'm sure you can get even more on the lower levels. This strategy didn't even occur to me until now and this is the 5th game I have played.

Also, using this strategy, I went from the 8th ranked civ out of 8 to the 4th ranked civ.

Its also because you were the underdog (asking the top 2 to help their friend up from 4th to 8th doesn't hurt their chances of winning, and probably helps it...makes you marginally useful as an ally)

Top Bottom