Political factions

Should political factions be reintroduced in the Demo game?

• Yes, political factions should be returned.

Votes: 42 61.8%
  • No, political factions should not be returned.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Armed_Maniac

Soldati
As of what i heard, they were once allowed but caused trouble in a game long ago. I don't know much about the issue, so you can feel free to post what you know and your oppinion, but i wanted to see the others opinion on this...

I'm not a big fan of real life political parties. This game is truly international (I'm from UK), and having the "republicans" and "democrats" doesn't really relate to me.

Also, I wouldn't want everything to get too serious - this is an escape from real life for me and having real-life political factions in the game could cause slanging matches in much the same way as if real-life religious factions developed...

I'm fully happy with made up parties (al la citizen groups) though.

I reject this proposal because the party-system seems to me like it might get people to become less engaged in the decision-process. They think: I'm in a party and they'll stand up for what I want. I don't need to get this involved on this issue because of that. That's a bad thing for a DG, IMHO.
Furthermore I agree with ChrisMDP. When I'm voting IRL I'm not necesserily voting for the party I like best but for the Party I dislike least! :D It shouldn't be like that here... Right??

Yes, but with a sunset clause.

-- Ravensfire

Yey for sunset clauses.

I voted yes for this because, whether we ban them or not, there will still be at least voting blocks.

There are parties anyway, at least thats how I see the citizen's groups. My the parties legal just break any power they might have before they get any.

Stilgar08 said:
I reject this proposal because the party-system seems to me like it might get people to become less engaged in the decision-process. They think: I'm in a party and they'll stand up for what I want. I don't need to get this involved on this issue because of that. That's a bad thing for a DG, IMHO.
Furthermore I agree with ChrisMDP. When I'm voting IRL I'm not necesserily voting for the party I like best but for the Party I dislike least! :D It shouldn't be like that here... Right??

Okay well first of all I'd say every arguments were good... And calisurfer, i do not know, since i am pretty new myself.

And i hardly think that political parties will take US flavors, I was just giving those as exemples... Political partys represent ideals, while citizen groups represent a goal...

An exemple of a citizen group is the MOO, who wants the monopoly of cows (pointless if you ask me, but if they insist...), while the communist party would pressure for the adoption of certain civics... such as Nationhood and Decentralization.

Anyways, i just think i would add more possibilities for organisayions, though i do reconize the drawbacks.

Armed_Maniac said:
while the communist party would pressure for the adoption of certain civics... such as Nationhood and Decentralization.

You FORGOT State Property? :eek:
-the Wolf

Alphawolf said:
You FORGOT State Property? :eek:
-the Wolf

No, i did not... I was merely giving exemples, and state proprety is a mean to solve a problem, not an end in itself, so i didn't really feel obligated to put it... Besides, not too sure how civics work, but i think you can only have 1 economy civic... and i though that Decentralization was higher on the list.

Edit: Though this is hardly the point of this thread...

ChrisMDP said:
Yeah, well, I thought it'd be fun :D

lol, it wasn't to insult you, but I'd just prefer more serious groups... :lol:

And it isn't totally pointless (cows give food, food is good), but it can actually hurt the civ (since cows are your top priority).

I'd just like to create a Nationalist party... but hey, they gotta be allowed before that done... and this poll ends the 14th so this could be used to help 'undo' the old rule that bans political partys... muwahahaha, the NPUS is mine! :king:

There still is alot of time on this, and everyone's opinion is welcomed. A vote has an effect, and so does an argument, so why not make both! :)

yes to political parties, if you want people to vote for you and you are running against a major party member then
a. make a stronger point to get more votes or
b. ask people to put partisan politics aside

I REALLY REALLY REALLY and absolutely REALLY hated the political correctness of past demogames. There are always voting blocs, and banning them in order to satisfy an established veteran elite that already had covered all bases by mapping tendencies, allegiances and friendships, they got a leg up on newbees, that was already thrown into the fray by the established blocs in the shadows.

So a resounding yes to political parties, and a permanent end to the hidden cronyism of the so-called veterans perpetuating such a non-formalized power structure via their feigned indignation of the aspect of political parties.

RoboPig said:
yes to political parties, if you want people to vote for you and you are running against a major party member then
a. make a stronger point to get more votes or
b. ask people to put partisan politics aside

That's exactly what I HATE about the idea of parties... :p

That's not how I want it to work...

they got a leg up on newbees, that was already thrown into the fray by the established blocs in the shadows.

So a resounding yes to political parties, and a permanent end to the hidden cronyism of the so-called veterans perpetuating such a non-formalized power structure via their feigned indignation of the aspect of political parties.

Why not making a "new-citizens"group then where the interests of newbies get represented, where newb's (like me) can apply and discuss upcoming decisions, but without any kind of "partisan politics" OR "voting-suggestion" :D ... This might help canalizing and encourages newbs to state "stupid" questions everybody has...

Stilgar08 said:
That's exactly what I HATE about the idea of parties... :p

That's not how I want it to work...

Why not making a "new-citizens"group then where the interests of newbies get represented, where newb's (like me) can apply and discuss upcoming decisions, but without any kind of "partisan politics" OR "voting-suggestion" :D ... This might help canalizing and encourages newbs to state "stupid" questions everybody has...

Then join the Coalition of citizens... i also think there was a Union of Newbs...

Besides, political parties can be exactly like a citizen group, exept that it has more goals than 1, and it had a kind of 'hierchy', which might not do much really, exept possibly change a few things that the organisation is for, or how they approach a certain aspect of the game...

Armed_Maniac said:
Then join the Coalition of citizens... i also think there was a Union of Newbs...

Besides, political parties can be exactly like a citizen group, exept that it has more goals than 1, and it had a kind of 'hierchy', which might not do much really, exept possibly change a few things that the organisation is for, or how they approach a certain aspect of the game...

You are right i do think political parties can be exactly like a citizen group.

See, political parties are organizations that try to get there veiws and ideas into government. A citizens group is a organization that makes a part of civ demo game better in ther own ways. So i can see citizen groups as political parties and they should be like that. For example if there is a reiligious citizen group that is tring to get, lets say Hinduism as the civs state reliogon but there is another religious group that wants confucianism they would have to get one of there own as the religous advisor instead of the other one, just like a political party.

What im tring to say is that i see citizen groups as political parties.

Top Bottom