Political Sig question...

scoutsout

Minstrel Boy
I have a question about political sigs. When I first started seeing these it didn't bug me... but lately I've been seeing more things like "<candidate x> sucks" in sigs. My question:

Are there limits to political messages in Sigs? Should there be some?

Personally, one of the things I really like about the Civ community is the chance to make friends in other countries... and I expect some of their politics would be quite different from my own. And you know what?!? That's fine with me.

...but when I'm discussing a game, or tactics, or answering somebody's question in S&T, I really don't want care to see a bunch of stuff trashing this candidate or the other. There's a forum for politics. Leave it there. IMO, when one ventures to the CivIII forums, leave the politics out. Best to focus on the common ground, which is enjoyment of the game.

Then they would have to do what I did to this post. They shouldn't be banned or anything, just be required to do this. (Or warn them for trolling)

I'd have to agree with you Scout.

The few times I venture into OT, I specifically avoid any threads that pertain to religion and/or politics. Those two things you will have a tough time changing anyone's mind about, and usually just turns into a yelling match, here and in RL.

I will admit, I haven't seen any "Candidate A sucks", but I have seen many political messages. Personally, I would think a "vote for A" would be fine, but I think Tomoyo is right that blatant insults to a parties candidate should be viewed as trolling.

The only reason it's there is to incite someone, right?

Too much work (for too little forum utility value) for the mods, and you can always turn sig-viewing off... until the US election (which seems to be taking forever) is off... ;)

I agree with you curt

one a side note ..VOTE FOR ...ME! :p

shadowdude said:
Curt is right, its really quite funny, especially when you factor in the fact that nobody would change their vote because of somebody's sig.
Nobody? Are you sure about that, snugglebunny?

shadowdude said:
Curt is right, its really quite funny, especially when you factor in the fact that nobody would change their vote because of somebody's sig.

no but it might lead to a PM saying why do you support _____, and i don't understand his stance on helth care could you provide a good link?

Political sigs are a good, quick way of knowing that poster's stance on the election without actually reading their post. Score one for laziness!

Silverflame said:
Political sigs are a good, quick way of knowing that poster's stance on the election without actually reading their post. Score one for laziness!

Then I guess the next question is:
Why do I care about anyone's political stance?

This is Civfanatics.com, not politicalzealots.com.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a big proponent of laziness! :)

Well...for those that are concerned that Political Sigs might influence my vote, you must understand that I plan to write in a candidate to whom I have remained loyal for years.

While other candidates spend their time doging questions and giving vauge centrist answers, Bill gets right to the heart if the issues. In his own words:

OOP ACK THPPPT!!!

ybbor said:
no but it might lead to a PM saying why do you support _____, and i don't understand his stance on helth care could you provide a good link?
Possibly, but very unlikely. There use to be a large number of swing voters who were undecided, but in this election It is very clear that most people are already decided for one candidate or the other.

Now who's this snugglebunny...

shadowdude said:
Now who's this snugglebunny...
Oh there you go again, silly, publicly denying your wild passionate love and affection for me.

WildFire said:
Signatures are usually more interesting then the posts.

I'll agree with that.

Some of the better ones-
M is for Money. Money is the root of all evil in the world. Money causes your parents to fight. You should put your parent's money in an envelope and mail it to...
Don't be afraid to try something, amatures built the Ark, professionals built the titanic.
Friends will always bail you out of jail. Best Friends will be sitting beside you saying "that was ****ing awesome"
:goodjob:

And SesnOfWthr, if you're trying to avoid topics like that in OT you'd be hard put to find anything ;)

Going back on topic. I don't think that things like "xxx Sucks" should be allowed, its inflamitory and may potentially lead to fights, however I'm all for "Vote for xxx"

And SesnOfWthr, if you're trying to avoid topics like that in OT you'd be hard put to find anything

Absolutely right, which is why you'll rarely see me participate in that forum.

However, I do occasionally post in the silly threads (what's you favorite food?), and I kind of like seeing how people's minds work in the morality ones (Would you save one person now, or ten people later?).

Top Bottom