Poll: AI Balance of Power. Discuss and Vote on the current state of balance

What are the most imbalancing aspects of VP when it comes to the AIs handling of it? Choose up to 3.

• Runaways

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Underdogs(Civs consistently playing poorly)

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Diplomatic relations

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • War

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Events

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • World Congress

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Exploitation by the player

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Resource availability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • City States

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Policies

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Tech

• Imbalanced Civilizations

• Unreasonable expansion

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
In hopes of clearing up the current state of VP, I've decided to start a new poll on specific mechanics that players may notice imbalance in. If you believe that there's something I've missed that doesn't currently have large agreement(such as cultural victories and religion), please post it below and I'll add it to the poll.

This is mostly just a test to narrow down a list of things to further discuss.

Numerous times I've witnessed the AI just not even trying to do anything about the runaways.

In one game, Russia was the runaway. I had a diplomat in Maya's capital and would receive notifications "Pacal is plotting against Catherine" - okay cool, good sign. However, I sent a couple dozen Impis over to Russia and declared war. Suddenly the Mayans and Russians have a defensive pact?! Massive facepalm moment.

Maybe you can add "unreasonable expansion" - they built too many cities that basically slow them down, not helping at all.
Ah that's a good one! Can't believe I forgot to add it. There are so many Tradition civs that just don't stop expanding in the early game.

Rome is consistently runaway if not paid attention to.
Their UA is too strong on AI hand. Once they swallowed 3 or 4 city, they are almost unstoppable.

I've only played five games with the mod so I'm not an experienced CBP player. The most unbalanced mechanic I've found is religious passive pressure. I've had games where my religion surprisingly has spread the whole map without even tried to spread manually, wiping out almost every other religion, and I've had games where in order to keep my religion in my own cities needed the use of all my faith (>150 fpt) in inquisitors (with no intervention of any hotile GP or missionary)... (OR maybe I need some advice, that could be too).

I've only played five games with the mod so I'm not an experienced CBP player. The most unbalanced mechanic I've found is religious passive pressure. I've had games where my religion surprisingly has spread the whole map without even tried to spread manually, wiping out almost every other religion, and I've had games where in order to keep my religion in my own cities needed the use of all my faith (>150 fpt) in inquisitors (with no intervention of any hotile GP or missionary)... (OR maybe I need some advice, that could be too).
Could be a lot of factors that affected it. What civ were you? Did you take Piety policy branch? Did the other civs on your continent found a religion?

Numerous times I've witnessed the AI just not even trying to do anything about the runaways.

In one game, Russia was the runaway. I had a diplomat in Maya's capital and would receive notifications "Pacal is plotting against Catherine" - okay cool, good sign. However, I sent a couple dozen Impis over to Russia and declared war. Suddenly the Mayans and Russians have a defensive pact?! Massive facepalm moment.

Sometimes the best play is to buddy up to the big toughie, especially since the Maya were probably going for a science victory.

Sometimes the best play is to buddy up to the big toughie, especially since the Maya were probably going for a science victory.

I'm starting to think it's never a good idea to buddy up to Runaway Prospect #1. But I agree the main exception would be if they seem to be going for a SV, and you can determine they don't have an edge for a DV or CV.

And I'm glad the problem of early CVs was noted as a consensus issue!

I think the AI might be too friendly with science leaders, human or AI. I've noticed that if I get a tech lead and I'm still on good terms with everyone I very often can finish the game without conflict. Also might be tied to not wanting war someone you have trade routes with. Its certainly not wrong to ally the leader if you have a plausible win condition, but it seems to me they don't always have a path to victory yet still try it.

Something is definitely wrong with russia scoring.
She always has very high score early in my game, but is easily defeated by other AI later.
Maybe something to do with her UA. Russia leading the score is not a big threat.

She always has very high score early in my game, but is easily defeated by other AI later.
Maybe something to do with her UA. Russia leading the score is not a big threat.
In my experience she has a tendency to acquire ~20 cities for herself, usually via conquering her neighbor. Therefore she ends up with a massive army.

Nothing wrong, she is doing well when her bonuses are in play (science for border expansion is a big deal in Ancient Era), declining when the bonuses go away. Makes perfect sense, hopefully Catherine can rise again once her UB comes into play

Top Bottom