1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll - Average number of cities in your civilization?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Francel, Mar 28, 2021.

?

On average, how many cities do you manage (settle/occupy) over the course of a game?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2021.
  1. 1-5

7 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. 6-10

49 vote(s)
    32.2%
  3. 11-15

54 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. 16-20

27 vote(s)
    17.8%
  5. More than 20

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

Just for fun question.

You can eliminate outlier games if you want. Simply pick the number that you feel best reflects how you tend to play the game (not what you think is best, but what you actually tend to do).

Please do not count razed cities.

(I am not a psychometrician, but attempted to frame the question in as non-biased a manner as possible. Intervals of five seemed to capture the most info without soliciting so much detail as to limit interpretation. I hope the upper limit of 20 is reasonable?)

konokoni likes this.
  2. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

I chose 16-20 but it's more like 14-18 on average, none of them being captured cities. It's that high mostly because I love rerolling until I get a prime map for forward settling a massive swath of land, and then backfilling the land with as many cities as I can cram in without missing out on good national park spots, and also colonizing any small untouched islands around industrial era just to have some units to keep moving around at that stage of the game, and to get more free space to build any wonders that've been neglected up to then.

Abaxial and Francel like this.
  3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

6/10.. simply because i mostly play with Quick-Turns on Small or Standard Archipelago maps against 2/5+ Civs and matched amounts of CS + randomly selected NFP-Modes.
    Anything else is either a strange grind or somewhat boring conditions caused by various factors like OP situations (yeah -- Agendas, i'm talking about you too!).
    I rarely turn any Victory types off also. Full blast.. until around mid-way (175/330) time where the Victory goal(s) become much more obvious except for fast or easier Domination attempts.

Your mileage may differ. :scan:

4. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

i chose 10-15 but I almost exclusively play huge maps...

konokoni and Francel like this.
  5. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

I don’t often enjoy dealing with more than 10 cities tbh (I play on small maps with 8 AI).
    More than 10 just starts to feel tedious for me to manage.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

I voted 6-10 (with a strong tendency to 10+, if the map and my opponents allow it).
    This is the number of cities I found myself.

The numbers of cities I manage over the entire course of the game is a completely different beast and depends on how many cities were founded by the AI (map size usually standard, map scripts vary).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Eh ... I chose 16-20 and normally play small maps. :shifty:

hhhhhh, PiR, tedhebert and 1 other person like this.
  8. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I play huge maps pretty much all the time, so I chose "more than 20".

It does get quite repetitive in the last few turns, to be honest. It's like the last ten percent of a marathon.

PiR, tedhebert and Francel like this.
  9. Sixty_Three

Sixty_Three Chieftain

I voted for 1-5 cities. That’s based on a standard-sized continents map, which is my default world setting.

I’m aware that the quickest way of winning the game is to found/capture more cities. As an aside, I find the analysis shared on this forum as to how to win most optimally is quite fascinating! Some of it I have tried to employ. But as an absorbing time-wasting exercise, it doesn’t matter if games don’t end by turn 200...

whyidie, 8housesofelixir and PiR like this.
  10. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Same here - I regard Tall as 8-12, really surprised at the number of people who have tiny empires. I get it's easier to manage each one but don't you struggle to get anything done??

PiR likes this.
  11. Mount Suribachi

Mount Suribachi Prince

Probably 8-10. I play on small with 6 civs and 10 city states, on maps like Seven Seas, Tilted Axis and Primordial and usually have no problem finding the space to settle that many cities.

12. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I picked 6-10, usually on huge maps but with high sea levels. I don't like conquering neighbors by default, the game snowballs too much that way. I prefer building a few cities in the best way possible and let them grow large.

Caprikel and Francel like this.
  13. kryat

kryat King

11-15, typically on large-huge maps. Almost none conquered. About 30% end up being far flung colonies chasing down new luxes or oil. All I can is thank Firaxis for introducing the build queue for the last 50 turns of the game and spamming projects.

CoconutTank likes this.
  14. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

At my usual finish date I have between 16-20, with 7-11 at turn 100/ Anyway, highly depends on civ I play

15. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

tall 6~10... since this game doesn't have infinite projects it becomes too much of a headache to deal with too many cities.

16. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yeah, now if only the fixed/improved it so you could add inter-dependant buildings in it, like Campus-Library-University-Research lab, or repairing all buildings in a district, life would be infinitely much easier.

17. Unmitigated Gaul

Unmitigated Gaul Chieftain

Depends on the map but usually found 8 or so cities through the classic era and then 3 or so colonies later in the game, depending where I can find good land.

As your empire grows and you move up the tech tree, scaling settler and district costs really discourage me from settling much after turn 120 or so. By the time those settlers are built, moved and have a city with a district up, it either took a lot more investment than it was worth or the game is pretty much over anyways.

18. topsecret

topsecret Believer Supporter

As many as I can get.

Buktu likes this.
  19. Equilin

Equilin King

up to 40, which usually means half the map.

20. Socrates-

Socrates- Warlord

6-10, mainly because of map size (small).
    Most of the time I settle around 7/8 cities, only adding a max of 2 or 3 in the later stage to get access to certain resources.