Votes: 24 31.2%
  • PAU

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Polystralia

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Slavic Fed

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters
Impossible to say. Not just out of some 'wait until the game' or 'depends on the situation' nonsense, but because we basically know nothing about Covert Operations, so we don't know where to put her. Otherwise Polystralia. Trade routes seem to do a lot more know, so more of them is fantastic.

Criteria: Maximize chance of winning on higher levels on standard maps (whatever they are)
It would be helpful if respondents had a listing of what each sponsor offers in the way of bonuses right here, to serve as a reminder of why this one is better than that one.
I picked PanAsian because it is hard to beat faster production over the laong haul. (Or even in the short term.)

Well PAC doesn't get better production unless it is building wonders.
Its real benefit is faster improved tiles

Well most improved resources give you more production in BE. Based on streams I have seen paddocks and plantations give more production.

The following answer applies to all the "best X" polls:

There is, or at the very least I hope there is no "best" anything. That would be poor game design, and I believe the devs are very well aware of that.

Polystralia is growing on me with the knowledge that Trading with Stations can grant Free Units every time a Trade Route Cycle completes. Properly managed, the +1 Trade Route Per Qualified City could mean that Stations will be building my Army for me while I focus on Growth/Infrastructure buildings.

The following answer applies to all the "best X" polls:

There is, or at the very least I hope there is no "best" anything. That would be poor game design, and I believe the devs are very well aware of that.

When the abilities are truly unique, it's impossible to avoid. In Civ V, Babylon & Korea have consistently been in a near tie for best ever since G&K added the DOF requirement for RAs. They are even more so now with the additional nerf to RAs in BNW. This is if you define best as quickest to victory in the average case, Spain's UA is too hit or miss for any of the general categories and is given the "wildcard" category, Poland & Inca do come close to Babylon & Korea though.

Franco-Iberia on the face of it looks like fastest to victory due to a free tech per 10 virtues in combo with more of the science bonuses in virtues than in buildings.

PAU looks second, that "10% food in growing cities when healthy" is +10% growth rate, not +10% raw food. (If it was 10% raw food it would be a lot bigger and probably #1)

Both of these appear miles ahead of the other 6 civs.

By contrast, where they are shared like Civ III or Civ IV, it was entire categories that were seen as most desirable. (And in case of Civ IV, the two categories that ran neck in neck was NOT one of the combos allowed.)

At a glance, it appears like the results so far is actually which one gives you the most world wonders on a mid to low level. Egypt did well on that pre-release Civ V poll, but at high difficulty levels its UA goes away and the same is likely to happen for that portion of Panasian's UA. (The good news though is Panasia also has a worker rate bonus, but until we know what the raw times are to improve anything it's difficult to get the exact number of turns saved.)

ARC just appears bad in the hands of the human. (A UA in which if you use it then it would make the AI mad at you from tech stealing? It will probably be better in the hands of the AI who gets mad at you when you tell them to stop stealing and expect to be forgiven when their spies are caught. )

Polystralia has very strong potential in my opinion.

So far 3 are particularly hard to evaluate:
Franco Iberia: We don't really know how much free techs it will give and whether are not 3 techs would be that good
Polystralia: How good are the stations tiers and how many routes do we have
ARC: We know nothing of Espionnage strengths

If Firaxis released a Let's Play video featuring espionage, then I might have more interest in ARC.

Franco-Iberia on the face of it looks like fastest to victory due to a free tech per 10 virtues in combo with more of the science bonuses in virtues than in buildings.
Just curious about this, since I haven't dug into the details too terribly much. Just how often is a player likely to get a Virtue? Ten turns? Twenty turns? Thirty turns? If it were say 20 turns per, then getting a free tech at Turns 200, 400, 600 etc. may not be as advantageous as some of the other bonuses that take effect _immediately_ and stay in effect throughout the game.

Yeah and it only comes out to about... 8 possible free techs in total?

the civs do seem more even then in civ 5. and that is in my opinon a better game design choise.

polystralia and brazilia do look strong. as does the slavic federation.
i do find it harder to find the best civs and virtues and Tech patterns in civBE then in civ 5. in civ 5 it was a lot easier to spot the unbalanced stuff.

currently i am leaning towards might and industry combo With random sponsor, artists, see Strategic resourses, worker.

Franco-Iberia is strong because you can choose always the most expensive techs. You should plan for this in your game.

I think ARC is undervalued here. Sure is would struggle in the early game, but faster spying effectively translates into more stolen techs mid game, which would make ARC the only faction to have a (kinda random) science bonus. Seeing the enemy cities might at the same time be more strategically valuable than Brasilias +10% might. To bad i never play very agressively.

ARC and Slavic Federation are the most interesting to me because of how they interact with the biggest changes to gameplay. We've only seen a few of the missions and Satellites, but they both look like they will be major influences on the game almost from the start. Espionage hasn't been as big an early game factor since Civ II Diplomats were running around, and the Orbital Layer is brand new.

If I had to go out on a limb and say which will be the civ that brings calls for the most nerfs, I'd say Slavic Federation. Early tech lead and effective -20% cost to Military, Research, and Economic "Worker" units. All in a new addition to the game (which suggests it will be the least well understood and so balanced to the lowest level of exploitative ability).

Ok, so the limb might not be very long ;)

Top Bottom