1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Can we intergrate Engiseer's events?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by ElliotS, Jul 17, 2017.

?

Should we intergrate Engiseer's events?

Poll closed Today at 10:50 AM.
  1. Yes, as long as they're not OP.

45 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. Yes, I don't use events but if they are I might.

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. No, I use default events and don't want these.

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Abstain: I don't use events and won't if these are added.

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. ElliotS

ElliotS Chieftain

@Enginseer has made an awesome events mod, but for some reason the game invariably becomes 100% silent when made into a modpack with it. Given that the majority of people enjoy playing with events (At least according to the metrics thread I made a while ago, to the order of 20 on to 5 off, on page 2.) that leaves a lot of people without access to this mod which enhances gameplay a lot.

I think it would make sense to integrate the events not just so that modpack users can use them, but also because the majority of users don't know about his mod and the events included by default are lackluster. (By design, I know.)

Obviously if there are any of controversial power those would be left to his modmod, but I think that the experience for most users would be improved if these were made default, and it's not like events can't just be turned off regardless.

Obviously this is dependent on Enginseer and G's permission, but given what I know of them it seems likely if there's a lot of support.

2. bigcat88

bigcat88 Chieftain

They need some balance, but they are great. They are very great. If they will be integrated after some little changes in balance -> this will be a huge step forward for Vox Populi.
    And what is very good -> @Enginseer are here and he can support events.

3. Funak

Funak Chieftain

Why? They are doing completely fine as a separate mod?

Gokudo01 likes this.
  4. Enginseer

Enginseer Serf of the Community Patch

They were actually intended to make coding much easier for users who used it and didn't prefer Lua, while providing your average game a lil civ 4 feel and randomness to your plays.

I'm not against the idea, but I rather have it be separate in the VP installer.

It's called Community Events. Permission is already granted on my part.

5. ElliotS

ElliotS Chieftain

1- They don't work in modpacks due to come wierd conflict with one of the mods extending them. I love them, but I play about 95% of my games with a modpack and can't use them. Others are in a similar boat.
    2- There are a lot of user who play the mod but rarely visit the forums. They're extremely unlikely to know about this modmod. Their experience would be improved by adding these.

6. Txurce

Txurce Chieftain

I found them interesting but occurring too frequently in addition to the existing Events system. This is why I voted Yes as long as they're not OP -- include Overly Ubiquitous here -- and would also rather have them be separate in the VP installer.

7. Enginseer

I agree which is why me nationalizing the events and having a few extra added in will increase the diversity.

Erikose likes this.
  8. Txurce

Txurce Chieftain

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.

9. DarkZero

DarkZero Chieftain

The current event system in vox populi is horrible and in my opinion should come disabled by default, it gets really old really fast to have your farms and mines collapsing every turn on different cities across the map, for this event system to be worth enabling it needs more variety AND less frequency.
    Should this modmod offer both I see no reason not to improve upon the current very bare bone system, and a system most people even play whit because its enabled by default .

10. Enginseer

More variety and less frequency have a direct relationship between each other. Not two variables that contradicts each other like an inverse relationship.

11. ashendashin

ashendashin Chieftain

Or as its own module. Call it Community Events Expansion to give a sense that it adds more to the sample events. I think both the samples and your own events should get a full balance pass sometime though.

I said most of G's are ok, but I remembered now how some of his tend to have obvious choices on which is best (50% chance for some turns worth of fishing boat food vs an early harbor?). I used to think that all the unhappiness events weren't all that bad, but I had two games where I got the revolution one which led to 5 whole turns of resistance and barbs spawning everywhere. I can deal with barbs but anything that gives resistance to all cities is bad enough without being 5 goddamn turns. May as well make me lose thousands of all my yields at that point. I also remembered how horrible the ice age is. How is it that an ice age only affects one civ? It'd be cool and fun if it made sense but I can't accept that what should be a world spanning event would cripple one civ only.
    Community Events still has some stragglers from the little I've played with them. A free Prophet right after founding is obviously in need of fixing.

I think the best balance to strike with events is that a game will generally have similar length to a no events game, but with new fun choices. The fact that you can have one game with nothing but horrible choices that makes things worse and worse and another where it's nothing but an upwards spiral with the occasional barely noticeable yield hit is a problem that should be addressed, in my opinion.

12. Enginseer

Ice Age works on all civilizations as far as I know and rarely happens at all with my modmod because it's a Player Event which the modmod already clutters them with preventing the Ice Age from ever happening if even so happening.

13. ashendashin

ashendashin Chieftain

Wait really? I didn't even think world spanning events were a thing! I assumed everything affected only one civ at a time.

14. Enginseer

You'll be surprised how code-friendly the Event System is to a basic user.

They can even make an event that activates a global revolution in every civilization and cities. Only exception is that city-states are entirely immune to city-states. Can't force it through Lua. So while the world is in a 10 turn revolution, the city-states are just there enjoying their life.

Txurce and ashendashin like this.
  15. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Chieftain

By "Enginseer events", do you mean every events of the "(7) Community events", or only thoses made by Enginseer ?
    Because if I am quite happy with most events, I don't like the free great people given by the unique civs events. But anyway, current "standard events" are boring, and not really interestings, so I'm fully in favor of integrating to them the new events. (And balance-wise, some standard events are worst than most enginseer events, so I don't see that much problems)
    Note : I am currently making a game with Enginseer events, and I will soon post a review of them, since I have few other questions/suggestions.

16. Jakman217

Jakman217 Chieftain

I would also love to see some more events and balance to the events. Maybe it would stop me from feeling like the game is just kicking me while I'm down.
    Is there a correlation between (un)happiness and good/bad events, cause I can't begin to remember the number of games where I went from a manageable unhappiness into a full death spiral.

17. lunker

lunker Chieftain

If we had events more interesting than just getting yields or having tiles pillaged I might be interested in trying them again, so long as they are balanced.

18. ElliotS

ElliotS Chieftain

I'm sure once integrated we'd have an easier time balancing them too. Having dozens of beta testers is a good way to get input on all the events quickly.

19. DarkZero

DarkZero Chieftain

You're mistaken, by less frequency I mean the amount of times events trigger in general and not the frequency the same event triggers, don't see how having more events makes events happen less often.

20. Enginseer

Because my modmod has a hidden decrease in frequency. By default, the CPP would just give you a city event somewhere around 10 turns(30 if player event). The modmod increase this to 15 turns(45 if player event) a while ago.