[GS] Poll: Canal Art in Cities

What is your opinion on the canal art in cities?

• Looks great the way it is.

• Needs to be more ancient looking in the earlier eras.

• The art should only display in cities when a canal district/wonder is built next to the city.

• Both B and C

Results are only viewable after voting.

usadefcon1

Prince
This is something that has been bothering me for a while and I was wondering what the community opinion was.

I was fine with the implied canal that we had before. It should only display through the city if it's connecting to an adjacent canal district.

I appreciate that the canal is designed to make the boats actually fit and move in them. It looks absolutely gorgeous.... in the later eras.

The ancient ones are a bit jarring, but nothing too terrible. It's not like you settle that many canal cities anyway.

If it helps, just imagine your city is located between two land masses (think of Constantinople) rather than two bodies of water. It will make it feel a lot more appropriate in any era.

I appreciate that the canal is designed to make the boats actually fit and move in them. It looks absolutely gorgeous.... in the later eras.

The ancient ones are a bit jarring, but nothing too terrible. It's not like you settle that many canal cities anyway.

If it helps, just imagine your city is located between two land masses (think of Constantinople) rather than two bodies of water. It will make it feel a lot more appropriate in any era.

FYI, they're currently showing up on any coastal city.

FYI, they're currently showing up on any coastal city.

Ah incidentally I only intently looked at the ones that were between bodies of water. :crazyeye:

K switch that to "imagine your coastal cities are located between two land masses that have a really short river in them" :lol:

K switch that to "imagine your coastal cities are located between two land masses that have a really short river in them" :lol:

Easier were rivers not significantly smaller :p

I like the fact coastal city looks... well... like a coastal city. However it’s true the apperance could change with era and/or city size. As it stands it looks a little weird in the newly settled cities at the beginning of the game when city consist of couple of little proto-buildings and massive dock looking comparatively modern to the rest of the city...

I think they should remove the canal art for coastal cities unless it the city is on a one-tile isthmus. While I like the art, I think cities would look better with more city and less canal unless necessary. If only cities that actually had a canal et the art, it makes them a lot easier to spot as well (not like that'd be terribly difficult anyways, but still).

Also, in the earlier eras, the canals look like drydocks if they aren't connecting anything. Drydocks in the ancient era? It's a bit daft.

It's one of GS new features for which I'm waiting to know if they can be modded (in this case "modded out") before buying the expansion.

Tough one, B & C both would work for me......but I'd lean more heavily towards B.

I just think it should be smaller, but this doesn't bother me much.

I think these canals most definitely need a rework at least. I don’t know if they bother me to the point I want to go punch someone, but they have many things wrong with them. They seem really odd looking to me!

I don’t like that the canal art dimishes the glory of the Palace. In any other city it doesn’t bother me at all, but in the capital I want the Palace prominently centered and surrounded by buildings, not shoved to a side to make room.

But at least they are consistent in the design direction to make the map clear at a glance, and modders could probably make canals disappear in cities without connecting canal districts.

Top Bottom