1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll - Civfan's PC as of now: one single core CPU vs. multi-core (2, 4, more) CPUs?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Mar 10, 2010.

?

What is the CPU setup your PC has now (March 2010)?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2010.
  1. My PC a single-core CPU

30 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. My PC has multi-core CPU

116 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. Don't need any PC - I play civ in my head

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. Don't need civ... (nor a PC)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Hi, Folks!

Today we learned that PC requirements for Civ5 might be
    dual-core CPUs as minimum...

For me, it means I might need a total new PC...

I am interested how is this with the community...
    Therefore is the poll...

2. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

Well I never expected Civ5 to be able to run on a single core cpu... I mean it's ancient stuff!
    Actually... it will probably run... but it could be a slow motion.
    It will be interesting and important to see which kind of dual core cpu it will end to require... I mean there's a wide variety of dual core cpus in terms of power.

Fortunately just a few months ago I built a new PC and I'm on 4 cores now.

3. Seventh Child

Seventh Child Chieftain

I've got a single core but I think it's fine to have dual core minimum. Most mid end dual cores are pretty cheap now and most new computers from manufacturers are dual core now.

4. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

I would not call a P4 single core "ancient".
    My PC runs like a charm with a 2.8 GHz single core CPU and 2 GB RAM.
    Civ4 runs excellent with my 256 GB graphics card, as all my office programs do.
    I admit, that for all modern games and Ubuntu I bought a PS3 one year ago. :mischief:

But even for the love of Civ I cannot buy a new PC ONLY for Civ5. :sad:

5. NinjaCool

NinjaCool Warlord

I upgraded my PC about half a year ago so that means I'm set for Civ5 :viking:
    (Core i7 920 3.2Ghz (4 cores with HT), 6GB RAM, 4770 512MB)

However my old laptop will have a problem :( as it has a single core Pentium M 1.7Ghz CPU but it does have a Geforce 6600 256MB gfx card and 2GB RAM.

6. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Unfortunately, people with single core CPU's are probably a vast minority by now. I know it stinks, but I can understand why they chose to do this.

Have a Core2 Quad myself.

7. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Hey, my dual-core is beginning to feel old.

8. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

My computer is from 2004. Maybe I will buy a new computer around 2015 and play Civ 5 by then. Until then, I will stick to older games and Civ 4 BtS

9. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

My comp is from 2005 (guess why... ;))

It runs a P4 Prescott 3Ghz proc...

For the reason it was in 2005, will it be the same reason this year? ;)

10. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I have a 2,333GHz dual core and it is showing signs of age with max details in some games, but I can live with it so I don't really plan to get a new CPU this year.
    I guess I'll upgrade my CPU when the price for a 3 GHz Quad drops below 150€ which might still take a while.

11. Gresharas

Gresharas Rabbit of Caerbannog

I do have a Core Duo, a couple of years old, and even if it actually runs smootly most if not any game I did need to get my hands on, most of my mono-cored friends have no issue as well. In fact, sometimes they run them better.

I feel it was about time. Dual Core were quite wasteful as for now, on the subject of gaming - say, if not for windows being this cumbersome. I had expected this for some time, IF it is really multi-core oriented programming it might run very differently. Probably it will not. Amen to that :)

12. König Markus

König Markus Warlord

I don't have dual core PC and I won't buy a new one for Civ 5.

Even my brother who has gotten a new one recently, continues to play Civ 3.

Civ 3 rules. :cool:

13. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

I've got a single-core...Intel Pentium 4...3.4 GHz. That and my 4 GB RAM and 512 MB ATI Raedon HD 4550 should do nicely...although only time will tell...

14. Tamed

Tamed Warlord

Dual Core minimum is nothing unexpected. It's been standard on a computer since 2004. If you don't even have a computer built in the last 6 years, buying new games obviously isn't your top priority.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

built my computer last fall. Running quad core. And I love it. My old computer couldn't even run civ4 above standard sized maps. Now I can run huge maps with no problem.

16. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Hey, the market DID change. PC sales now are left with a little share of about 10% of sales. Why? Because more and more people decide to play on consoles.

The last time I had to upgrade my hardware to play recent games (last year) I decided to buy a PS3 instead. Why? Because I was fed up with upgrading my pc hardware every two years for the latest games, and with the PS3 I also received BluRay and the ability of playing on the couch of in my living room for a nice price. And I really enjoy that there are no incompatibility or DRM hassles anymore.

My single core PC (2,8 GHz, 2 GB, 256 MB graphics) is still strong enough to handle ALL office programs, and Civ4 still runs smooth as silk. For playing the latest 3D games I now have a PS3, and I will not buy an new PC extra for Civ5.

From the feedback I receive I know that MANY Civ fans grew older and do not play so many other games beside Civ anymore. Or are younger and play Civ on the older PC of the brother or dad. There really is a considerable group of fans who still play Civ4 on older computers. Especially in countries where hardware is more expensive.

At best Firaxis makes eye candy optional. It is really nice that DX11 is supported and that the terrain now is alive. But many players do not need an animated terrain to love Civ. I certainly would prefer a game that optionally runs with a static terrain on my computer instead of a game that does not run at all. So I hope Firaxis will find ways to make the candy optional again.

17. J-man

J-man Deity

Could you post a reference please?

Your computers last 11 years :confused:

18. Pakhawaj

Pakhawaj Chieftain

I've bought a couple of new games since that date (Civ IV and Europa Universalis III), does that mean I'll be able to run Civ V?
    I have absolutely no clue what a "core" is, I've only recently heard of the phrase.

19. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

That would lower the requirements on the GPU side but not on the CPU one.

20. TylerD

TylerD Chieftain