Poll comparing civ4 vanilla with cIII + all patches/expansions

There is some basis for comparison? Surely you jest. Civ3 with expansions is so superior to Civ4 that I regret spending the money on purchasing Civ4, which is not loaded onto any of my computers.

Civ4 was not bad, but I did not love it. I have not gotten back to V to try the lastest patch. For that matter I still have not gotten to my lastest game purchase.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404673

posted this in the civ5 forums, it's been requested that I link it here and in the civ4 forums. cast your vote!

Depends which forum you post it in. If you post it here, expect Civ3 to win hands down. Post it in the the Civ4 forum, expect an easy Civ4 win. You almost have to try off-topic.

I play both and would give a slight nod to C3C. The scenarios are a lot of fun. However, please remember that very few Civ4 players play vanilla anymore. BTS is really the only way 95% of the Civ4 players play. In both games you should check out Rhye's mods.

I certainly think that Civ III is better. Less cluttered and intricate. Much more simple and basic. Give me Civ III any day.

Of course this is the reaction of the Civ 3 forums, I bet the same thing was said only reversed in the Civ 4 forums.

I really don't understand the need 4 and 5 payers have to try to rub our noses in it.

Go play your silly games (and owe your soul to the [steam] company store.)

C3C is my all time favourite game. I loved Civ and played Civ II but 3 is home.

I really don't understand the need 4 and 5 payers have to try to rub our noses in it.

Agreed on most points. If I'm having badwrongfun by playing Civ III, then I don't want to have goodrightfun.

C3C is one of my favorite games, but I'd still have to go with Starcraft as my all-time favorite.

They haven't said much over there as of yet. Then again, maybe they've had their say in the civ V forum.

yeah, i think that most of the civ4 forum members spend more time in the civ5 forum now complaining that iv is better, etc etc. I enjoyed civ4 for literally years and cIII I still enjoy, though that could be in large part b/c I spent so much time away from it that it's almost like I'm learning it all over again.

well, considering how many similarities there are between cIII and ciV I suspect that the cIV crowd will be quite excited. heck, the rest of us will probably be looking for something different by then, anyway, so we'll probably like the new one as well.

If they're smart they'll do more in the expansions to bring the cIV group back into the fold, then continue that with cVI.

well, considering how many similarities there are between cIII and ciV I suspect that the cIV crowd will be quite excited. heck, the rest of us will probably be looking for something different by then, anyway, so we'll probably like the new one as well.

If they're smart they'll do more in the expansions to bring the cIV group back into the fold, then continue that with cVI.

If VI is more similar to IV, that crowd will get excited. You're correct in your earlier fold, a lot of the people who shelled out $50 for CiV and hated it go into the CiV forums to tell people they hate it. I like IV and III but can't see, outside graphics, what makes V better than III. Considering all I've read, I'll stick with III and IV. Quite different games.

However, I think it'll take a LOT in the expansions to get the IV group back in the fold. There's a lot of hate there.

Darski's right, it is a matter of what you want. Graphics don't determine the game for me. I often like huge maps and CivIII can run those a lot faster. Also, I sense more of a "squeeze the customer" in CiV with charging for each tiny thing.

I have played AW in Civ 3 and Civ 5 and can safely say, that both games got only one thing in common. The stupid AI that runs all their units towards you.
This creates a fun game, but in Civ 5 everything is so dumbed down to cater for 1upt, it's not even funny.

Civ 3 is a true empire building game, Civ 5 is some arcade clone.

:clap::thumbsup::agree:

Top Bottom