1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Do You Want More Persona Packs?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicmyst, Jul 18, 2020.

?

Do you want more persona packs after NFP?

1. Yes

37.1%
  2. No

42.4%
  3. Not sure

20.6%
  1. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'd dramatically prefer new civs to new leaders for existing civs, and I'd dramatically prefer new leaders for existing civs to new versions of existing leaders. Persona packs seem to me like a really poor allocation of art and development resources. I also think opening the leader selection screen and seeing a handful of name/description combinations mixed in with a much longer list of unique names is going to bother me in a somewhat irrational aesthetic sense.

2. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

Agreed. I understand creating new leader models is a lot of work so I would be ok with persona packs for existing leaders but I really thought they would have an entire new set of abilities. Changing one thing and calling it "new" is disappointing.

MisterBoomBoom and tedhebert like this.
  3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Catherine does have new abilities.
    As for Teddy they are just splitting his military/diplomacy bonuses for the Rough Rider version and cultural/environmental bonuses for existing Bull Moose Teddy.

Hawke9 likes this.
  4. Red Adept

Red Adept Warlord

There are so many options for additional leaders and they scale dependent on the amount of work required (excluding the art assets).

1) New Leader/New Civ - a lot of work, new Civ abilities, new UU, new UI, new leader goals, new LUA and/or UI...
    2) Same Civ, new Leader - Just work on the leader itself.
    3) Same Civ, Same Leader, new hat - Work on the leader and save on art assets by reusing animation and just need to modify the skin.

Obviously, most of us would love as many choices as possible to make games more varied. I voted for more hats, but there's a caveat.

The hats have to make sense. Consider George Washington (American leader). Do you portray him as "father of the country", a diplomatic president whose focus is in diplomacy and infrastructure, or a president that's a great military leader that (like Simon Bolivar) is about kicking other countries off his continent?

Ultimately it's less work intensive and cost effective to just slap a new hat on someone, leaving you to better use the resources elsewhere. But you have to not appear lazy when doing it.

5. criZp

criZp Emperor

I wonder what old Teddy gets. That +1 appeal to tiles in cities with national parks is extremely uninteresting. Whatever else they add to him better be decent.

6. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

No

No no no, no

let me rephrase that :

NO !!!

kaspergm likes this.
  7. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm going to assume maybe he has another way to get naturalists rather than faith. What it would be I don't know. Maybe he can also unlock naturalists or use builders to plants woods earlier than the Conservation civic.

8. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'm not super-excited for more persona packs, but if they were done well I might not be opposed to more.

Only if he loses 300 pounds and two feet of height, shaves his beard, paints his eyes, and starts dressing like a proper Sumerian. :mischief:

SolInvictus, Kimiimaro and sonicmyst like this.
  9. trev1972

trev1972 Warlord

Not really, i know work on the AI isnt going to happen, but not sure its a good allocation of resources to do persona packs.

New map scripts, and making religious victory less repetitive would get my vote.

Having said that, i did think secret societies etc look interesting, and will probably get NFP when paid.

10. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I'm about in the same boat. The problem is the concept barely works for Teddy and Catherine, and I don't think many other leaders already in the game could sustain a second persona. And I would prefer if this mechanic weren't limited to European countries and colonies.

If this could actually work for other civs, and it would be limited to examples like perhaps Hojo or Mvemba, civs that likely won't get a second leader but are interesting enough to justify more content, then I could buy into it. But if all we get is British Gandhi and Regal Frederick...I think I will pass.

Alexander's Hetaroi and Zaarin like this.
  11. Zaarin

This makes me realize I'd love Hojo in a completely anachronistic but totally glorious kimono...

PhoenicianGold likes this.
  12. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I'm glad you share my vision. :)

Zaarin likes this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

I just realized now I kind of want to see Conqueror Saladin in armor ready to fight back the Crusaders. But not so sure of the ability...
    +100% production and +2 movement for the first 10 turns after declaring a Holy War. You may unlock the ability to Declare a Holy War at Defensive Tactics. :shifty:

Kmart_Elvis and PhoenicianGold like this.
  14. Zaarin

Golly, I sure wanted another +X movement for first Y turns after declaring war with Z casus belli ability. :p

15. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Just give us new leaders for the civs with new attributes. Personas seem to me to be splitting hairs and a bit on the lazy side.

tedhebert likes this.
  16. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Eventually this gets taken to its logical extreme with the mirror universe Civ 6 leaders. Religious Seondoek, Warmonger Wilfred, Pacifist Alexander....

17. Zaarin

This would make a lot of sense actually; she was a devout Buddhist.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  18. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Fair, my thought was mirror opposite abilities. But since it was a terrible idea in the first place...

Zaarin likes this.
  19. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

Yes, but my point was that just changing the leader ability only isn't very exciting. They could have done more to shake up the way France plays with each leader. For example, different unique units or improvements depending on which Catherine is leading France.

New Catherine keeping the Chateau and original Catherine getting a unique Diplomatic Quarter building would be cool. The DQ is being added to the base game, correct? So not DLC dependent?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  20. Arithmion

Arithmion Warlord

Change the current iteration's name to Gilgabro officially and I'm in.

Zaarin likes this.