Poll-- Does the patch work for you?

Was installing the patch good for you?

• Yes, I have better performance

Votes: 125 41.0%
  • Yes, no change in performance but I have the new features now

Votes: 123 40.3%
  • No, worse performance

Votes: 45 14.8%
  • No, I couldn't run the game at all and had to reinstall!

Votes: 12 3.9%

• Total voters

Wodan

Deity
I know there's a discussion thread, but frankly it's impossible to get a feel for whether it's a good idea to upgrade. Thus, a poll. ;)

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
(Three times, because the message must be at least 10 characterss long ;) )

Psyringe said:
Hmm, somehow, in a thread that's labeled "Poll", I'd expect a poll ... or is it just me? ;)

Edit: Never mind, it's there now. :)

I was typing the poll when you posted Psyringe. :D For some reason the system starts the thread before you're done. I guess it was easier to program that way. Anyway.

Wodan

well, overall the patch seems stable, the problem I have is that my videos have now become 'stuttering'-which they weren't before the patch. Anyone else seeing this and, if so, how have they combatted it?

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Before the patch the only problem I had was the audio stuttering during wonder movies, after the patch its the audio and video stuttering. I haven't really noticed any performance improvements but it was fairly good on large maps and below anyway.

Edit
I just fixed it by turning anti-anilising off, and I did try that before installing the patch so the patch must have fixed the problem with the audio and created another with the video(with AA on). If you lower the resolution and keep AA on that works too but I'd rather have a higher resolution.

Try adjusting the new bink settings in the ini file, Aussie.
Works fine for me - I got that dumb "Your hardware might be corrupt" message on patching (UK version - may not happen with the game's updater, not sure) but no problems after ignoring it - I got no change in performance (maybe a slight speed increase, not sure) but then it was running fine for me beforehand.

Well, I couldn't run the game before, and I can't run it now.

rgds/EoE

I got an error message:

error 1706. no valid source could be found for product sid meiers's civilization 4 . The windows installer cannot continue.

What happened?

it ran before, but it doesnt now. at all. guess i should have listened when they said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

I got the european DVD version of the game and the patch gave me the 1706 error (no valid source).

However, clicking past that error, the patch installs fine and, so far (touch wood), its been fine.

I didnt have problems beforehand, just wanted the patch for the new features etc.

Edit for typo

Aussie_Lurker said:
well, overall the patch seems stable, the problem I have is that my videos have now become 'stuttering'-which they weren't before the patch. Anyone else seeing this and, if so, how have they combatted it?

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I noticed that too.

It's funny - from reading the 1.09 patch announcement threads and the content of the feedback threads, one would imagine the patch isn't an improvement. It's only when one actually sees a poll where even the happy people might consider a quick "yes" vote that we actually see a truer reflection on things.

No errors installing on the European version. When trying to start the game, it complained about my DirectX installation and asked me to check that. Instead of doing that, I restarted the computer.

Now, the game performs about the same as before, but instead of crashing to desktop normally, it crashes to desktop, turns it to 800x600 resolution and 16 colours and forces me to restart the computer to get it back right...

"Annoyed" doesn't cover it...

=DOCTOR= said:
It's funny - from reading the 1.09 patch announcement threads and the content of the feedback threads, one would imagine the patch isn't an improvement. It's only when one actually sees a poll where even the happy people might consider a quick "yes" vote that we actually see a truer reflection on things.

Whiners have always been a very vocal minority.

Given the ratio of thread views to actual poll votes, it seems a lot of people are very happy to have a few brave souls do the guinea pig patch install thing :D.

(and for the record, I'm holding off as long is practicable too - which might be 1-2 days at most...)

Thread Views are not equal to the ammount of people who've looked at the thread. They are obviously greater, as one person can give a thread multiple views, simply by checking in on the thread every time somebody posts.

{Like I do! :D}

Yep, that's why I did the poll. There were several discussion threads, but it was impossible (or nearly so) to get any kind of a real feel for the results.

Well, after seeing the numbers, (something like 90% have had better results) I'm going to tempt fate (yes, I'm one of the "if it ain't broke" people as it's working mostly fine for me right now). I'll come back and vote (yep I haven't voted on my own poll yet :rolleyes: )

Wodan

Top Bottom