POLL: Egyptian Mythology Name

What is a good name for Egyptian Mythology in game?

• Egyptian Myth

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Egyptian Pantheon

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Amun-Mut-Chons

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Amun-Ra

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Don't care, not a big deal

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Amra

the Lion
I'm getting ready to post a new version of my modpack with 5 new religions including Egyptian Mythology. I am having a tough time deciding on an in-game name for the religion, however, and thought I would post a poll on it.

Place your vote and if there is another option that I am totally overlooking then please let me know. Thanks.

[EDIT] Note that "Amun-Ra" is actually a deity's name.

Amun-Ra, its sounds quite official, and its more convienient than Egypt Mythos or Amun-Ra's lengthened cousin.

Whatever you do, don't call it "myth". Adding it to the game means it will probably be a practiced religion troughout the game, so calling it that seems silly.

There's a similar problem with "Egyptian Polytheism" and suchlike, since it won't neccesarily be Egyptians that found it. So unless somebody who knows a lot about ancient history can come up with a better suggestion, I'd go with "Amun Re/Ra".

you do realize "Amun Ra" was the sun god.

you do realize "Amun Ra" was the sun god.
Yeah, I should have noted that. That's part of my dilemma. Should I name the religion after one god? Why not all the others? :crazyeye:

It would sound good for religion name, though.

Definitely Amun Ra! He was their main god anyway.. and Amun-Mut-Chons sounds funny. The other two aren't authentic Egyptian sounding enough (if that makes sense).

Not always! there was this one pharoah who declared Ahkenaten the greatest god. He changed his name and built a city just for him

Maybe use the term 'Cult of Amun Ra'. Gives it more of a religious sound.

You might want to consider Heliolatry (= sun god worshipping). Can you tell us what the other 4 are going to be?

On second thought Heliolatry should be the tech which founds a religion, like Polytheism, Monotheism and Meditation.

You might want to consider Heliolatry (= sun god worshipping). Can you tell us what the other 4 are going to be?

On second thought Heliolatry should be the tech which founds a religion, like Polytheism, Monotheism and Meditation.
The other 4 are Hellenism (Greek Mythology), Zoroastrianism, Mesoamericanism, & Asatru (Norse Mythology). I was going to name Norse Mythology, "Norse Paganism" but a few people have pointed out the "Asatru" name and for sake of brevity, I think I will be going with that.

The funny part of all this is that it was actually easier to create custom movies, sounds, buildings, missionaries & Inquisitors for 5 new religions than it is to come up with the names. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I was expecting the Shinto mod being incorporated. Naming religions is quite difficult. I am voting for Amun-Ra for lack of a better alternative.

I like Amun-Ra as it is shorter and can more easily fit in the field. I noticed when working on my own mod that having Roman Mythology just blended into other Religion names. It looked very sloppy. So I renamed it to Romanism.

or in a punny kind of way you could name it "Nile-ism"

but seriously, Amun and Ra were two different gods that were combined into one fairly early. Osiris was the first and father of their gods so hes as good a namesake as Amun-Ra. I would recommend taking a little artistic license with this and doing something like "The Eye of Ra" just for the game's flavor. If you provide a pedia entry that says "Eye of Ra is represents worship of the historical Egyptian pantheon" that would be just fine.

I hope this isn't too much of a necro, but if you're still taking suggestions, I'd probably use "Ennead", the name of the pantheon of nine chief gods worshipped at Iunu, or Heliopolis as it is usually known. Iunu was the ancient religious capital of Lower Egypt during the Old Kingdom. Each cult center had it's own preferred gods, and religious tastes changed significantly over the three and a half millennia before Egyptian paganism completely died, so it's pretty hard to summarize their beliefs into a single system. The religious complex of Iunu was both ancient and long-lived, being important enough after the fall of the New Kingdom for the Greeks to give it the name Heliopolis and create the word ennead to denote its pantheon. Early on Iunu's mythos absorbed the fertility cult of Osiris, and its creator god Atum was merged with Re and Amun, creating the myth most familiar to modern folks.

An alternative would be the Egyptian word Pesdjet, which just means pantheon

Amunism (supposedly this is the 'real' name)

Top Bottom