1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Favorite Civilization game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jtb1127, Mar 12, 2011.

?

What is your favorite civilization game?

1. Civilization I

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  2. Civilization II

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Colonization (1998)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Colonization (2008)

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Civilization III

12 vote(s)
    7.9%
  6. Civilization IV

72 vote(s)
    47.7%
  7. Civilization V

52 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Civilization II (haven't played 3 or 5 yet, and Civ4:BTS got annoying after 30 hours).

2. cccv

cccv King

From a strictly nostalgia standpoint, II. It's the one I started with and the one I spent the most time with. All of this during those special years when video games mean something to you. I grew up with it. I lived in it. I wanted to marry the Egyptian diplomat.

But looking back on it, it was actually pretty horrible. Battleships in one-tile ponds. Not being able to make friends with anyone without them spamming cities in every single frickin hole inside your empire. The end-game dogpile that was, no matter what people say, way worse than V's occasional dogpiles could ever dream of being. Ugh, I could never go back to that.

V is not without flaws that need not be rehashed in this thread. IV has plenty of flaws too. Oh no he di'in!!! =o Oh yes, I did. And at this point it's hard for me to call either of those games superior.

If I'm going with the game that was my favorite for the longest period of time I'd say II, even though I think it's awful now, which makes it hard for me to say that.

3. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

What, you have no argument so you want quotes?

4. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Without quotes, you really have no way to prove your theory. I don't really see why I should have an argument here.
    The reason I want quotes is that I have not found any... If you please, I would really like to know what you consider "my opinion is the correct one so go away.". Part of the problem might just be ethnic (or the like) differences. Finns are known for their style of speech sounding aggressive to other ethnicities. I am truly sorry if my ethnicity caused someone to understand my posts differently from what I meant them to be.

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

At the moment, I prefer Civ5 to Civ4. Otherwise I would be playing Civ4. But that's largely because it's fresher. I don't really know which of them is my favourite, but I guess I'd be more inclined to go for Civ4.

6. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Wait, so you haven't ever played Civ V before... Do you just come in here to defend Steam or something? :crazyeye:

7. Teperi Blaze

Teperi Blaze Warlord

I voted Civ3 because of the SG-games. And the GOTM stuff, it was great fun.

The game itself was just ok, but playing on Deity with friends was fantastic. Pulling rabbits out of hats was normal then. :)

For a solid second place I say BTS, because the gameplay is better, but...the "boring" part started here. At least for me.

And a little vote for Civ1, which started it all and I played that one too much. :)

8. Bob_

Bob_ Warlord

Huh? Sorry Sir, I'm not "hoping" anything. But it came to my attention that there acually ARE people who like this game and since it was improved with the latest patching it just seems rational to me that there now are some more people who like this game.

9. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Well then why are you saying "hopefully, it has canged a bit in favour of civ 5" then?

If that is not someone hoping that people have changed their opinions on the game, then I don't know what is.

10. PotatoOverdose

PotatoOverdose Prince

Why isn't Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri on the list? Id vote for SMAC followed by Civ IV BTS.

11. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

the question is: What is your favorite civilization game?

My favorite is for sure civ 2. Played for years and I have lots of good memories.

That doesnt mean that civ 2 is better than civ 3,4 or 5. The mechanics and graphics are way better now, but civ 2 together with FF7, FFtactics and HMM3 are my favorite games of all time.

12. Countmonte8242

Countmonte8242 Warlord

Test of Time was an expansion pack for Civ 2.

I voted for Civ 2 and all expansions, because from start to finish those were the most fun Civ games I've had. I liked the added complexity of 4 and its right behind 2, but there are too many things that made the modern era no fun in it. Civ 2 didn't have that problem.

13. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Thanks, I didn't remember that. All I remember was that there was a very fun fantasy version included with it with four map layers (under, normal, water and air) and that there was a version where you continued to play for a bit even after you have arrived on Alpha Centuari.

14. spider1

spider1 Prince

Right now Civ V is my favorite, and that's how I voted. Civ IV BTS is a wonderful game, and I spent far to much of my life on it, but I've moved on.

Come to think of it, I've spent far to much of my life on all the Civ games. When the original came out so many moons ago, I found my "gaming home". :)

15. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

Love how you totally wrecked the poor guy's thread with your 'quotes or not!' debate.

Anyway, I voted Civ5, because I adore the stupid game. I'm not going to trade my 5 for the old 4, even if they haven't even bothered finishing 5 yet.