1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll for return of Town Guard

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by lyciummusic, Mar 3, 2019.

?

Would you like to see Town Guard back?

1. Yes

84.2%
  2. No

15.8%
  1. lyciummusic

lyciummusic Chieftain

Greetings. Town Guard was a melee unit that you could make with swords, removed from RnR. I'd love to see it return.

CptBadger likes this.
  2. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

Wholeheartedly support this

3. lyciummusic

lyciummusic Chieftain

Historicaly, pike units were dominant in 1500s, still around until late 1700s as far as I know anyway. Should one even google "tercio", it would be crystal clear.

They'd be a cheap, placeholder unit, mostly against natives and a little bonus against cav.

CptBadger likes this.
  4. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Was the created with blades. (not swords)

CptBadger likes this.
  5. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

Adding a new unit will break savegames. We plan 2.7.x to be savegame compatible with RaR 2.7 meaning any such changes to units will have to wait until 2.8. This is a problem with most xml files (buildings etc) and not just units and it has to do with the vanilla savegame design.

I managed to fix this issue in Medieval Conquest. We plan to reuse this, but redesigning a key part of it to make it less prone to bugs when adding more data to savegames in the future. We also want to make the savegame file size small because joining a game will make the host send a savegame and small files means faster joining. However changing the savegame format will break savegames meaning this too will have to wait until 2.8.

As for the town guard specifically, I can't really see an issue in adding it. Usually the biggest problem is graphics, but that's not an issue in this case. I generally feel we lack "bad" units in general. We start with access to late game units, but it will take a while to be able to afford them in decent numbers. We need cheap units for early game, which are better than nothing, but too weak to really matter for late game.

6. FaarmAnimal

FaarmAnimal Chieftain

I voted yes.

Iirc the reason it was removed was because:

1) it was considered an ineffective unit against other military units, and
    2) There was already too many units.

Point 1 should be true, but the unit should still have value in the early game as the most basic defensive unit, and I don't agree with point 2.

Just make it weak and very cheap and all is good.

7. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Chieftain

graphics are not a problem - they exist and can be re-implemented. I can provide the files if required.

8. pauldst

pauldst Chieftain

Yes, please add it back in.

Town Guard sort of fulfills the function of an early, rough militia.
    Also, early on it is annoying to have 100 Blades that you can't use without horses. So, you have weapons that can be used by Cavalry and on ships, but no one can use them on land even in defense? The lack of a unit on land that uses Blades leaves a noticable hole in the game.

CptBadger likes this.
  9. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

Line Infantry needs guns and blades both.

10. pauldst

pauldst Chieftain

True, but early in a game, I'm not buying muskets for Line Infantry, I'm just buying enough to make militia.

CptBadger likes this.