1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] Generally, what do you prioritize when settling a new city?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bliss, Feb 13, 2020.

?

What is more crucial for you when settling a new city? (You can vote up to 3 options.)

1. To delimitate your borders + defensive positions

38 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Access to a new strategic resource

57 vote(s)
    66.3%
  3. Access to a new luxury resource

49 vote(s)
    57.0%
  4. Optimal housing and good tiles

35 vote(s)
    40.7%
  5. Campus adjacency

15 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. Balance of food and production

30 vote(s)
    34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bliss

Bliss Warlord

You can choose up to 3 options.

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Earlygame I settle as much as possible for the sake of getting my victory district of choice up in a couple of cities. Later I'll usually do it so I can have some support cities pumping out defensive units or builders while my main ones make t3 buildings

3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Number of trees and harvestable resources shall be the 0th factor. Everything else seems only an add-on.

If you have sth. like 5 trees nearby, you can just chop them up with the free builder to make a new settler, and also have a lot of additional hammers that help you build up military, monument or campus.

That is said, if you settler among trees, basically you spend a settler, you get a city, a new settler, and a lot of other productions.

This means you get those productions plus the city for free.

Karmah likes this.
  4. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Must be a really sad and barren map when you play. :(

Anyway, as to OP question, really it seems to be a combination of all of the above for me.

5. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

I think for me it also all of the above but I think the access to a strategic resource is the most important for me. I literally settle bat snow cities just for oil XD

Tech Osen likes this.
  6. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

Number of Chops should be another option. I'd settle a low housing, resource starved location if it meant free wonders and districts via chopping.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm not a big chopper, I look for base production and food. Sadly, I feel like the most important thing is number of cities. The quality isn't that important. As a personal preference I like cities big that can produce things quickly. Though I will settle cities for strategic resources.

8. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Perosnnaly, I don't play the chopping game... personal choice, and understanding very well what I'm missing out on... Will only use it later in game quite rarely.

but I do have a question: Aren't you sweeping the Builder cost under the rug in this example ? I know and understand it's still a win math wise, but... it's still a cost, the builder is not free !

iammaxhailme likes this.
  9. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

the choice missing a little is city placement VS map and space available VS enemy civs... once I've explored enough and forward settled enough to mark my territory, I then usually will try and fit as many cities in the space as possible... so maybe at least add 'forward settle' as a choice ?

10. Bliss

Bliss Warlord

@people asking for a chop option, don't you think it falls under the "good tiles" option?

I tried to address it with the borders option.

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Fair... and I chose that option in my vote too ;-)

but my intervention was more for the latter part on my comment, which was fill out the available space to fit in as many cities as possible... but yes, the first option DOES fit the 'forward settle' bill !

Bliss likes this.
  12. Hactar

Hactar Chieftain

I think they’re assuming you have Ancestral Hall, which does make the builder more or less free.

Karmah and tedhebert like this.
  13. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Often it is a case of forward settling to prevent another civ forward settling.

14. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

For the 2nd city getting it settle quickly is important, especially if I think settlers need to be stolen an I have to protected. I'm also a sucker for a high adjacency harbor.

15. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Prince

I focus on production tiles more often than not. Also strategic resources. And Petra location

16. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

I prioritize luxuries / tiles giving unusual yields (culture plantations/mines, faith plantations) especially early on, usually settling on them. Since I mostly play Cree, I don't care at all water / housing and food+production restrictions, all I need is few luxuries for mekewap and trees to insta chop CH/harbor.
    Unfortunately I start having problems with other civs if I forgot I don't get free tiles and easy growth, so I need some time to readapt to usual settling locations prioritising housings+hammers+food

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  17. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

First city, first ring of unimproved yields.

18. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I look for luxuries + forest tiles with base +2 Food/ +2 production.

I rarely find myself without stratregic resources, even with sparse settings, but if I'm lacking them then sure, I'll prioritise settling a city near it.

19. Junky89

Junky89 Chieftain

The important thing for me is, to get the engineers dream.
    1 dam in the middle, with 3 adjacent aqueducts and 3 adjacent industrial zones.
    Production is everything for me.
    Unfortunately that choice I'm not able to select in your survey.

20. Pure24

Pure24 Warlord

Just one question: is it the FIRST city or not?

I took it as it isn't the first city. So I picked the strategic & luxury resources and optimal housing and tile yields.

Thanks to Lumber Mills, production isn't a problem for late-game cities