Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Some type of gun control should be enforced

Votes: 48 45.3%
  • Hey the Constitution says I can have a gun, so no gun control

Votes: 20 18.9%

• Total voters

CIVPhilzilla

Reagan Republican
Just curious about people's views on gun control.

This discussion always ends up depressing me.

Civilians have no business with some weapons; ie heavy machine guns, cannons, cannons, artillery, etc. Current control, however, is ******ed in saying that a gun is more dangerous because of how it looks.

I'm opposed to gun control for semi-automatic or slower weapons, but I support military only restrictions for full-auto weapons and explosives.

Its depends on whether I am a controller or a controllee.

Anything beyond handguns and hunting rifles is unneccessary and should be banned from civilian use.

No one needs a machine gun unless they want to kill alot of people quickly...

Some restrictions on the sale of weapons -- specifically three-day waiting periods and criminal background checks -- seem reasonable to me, which puts me in the camp of the gun controllers.

But if it came down to it I'd rather have guns legal with no waiting periods or background checks than banned.

My position all depends on the situation. In America I believe that gun control should be limited to heavy weapons (such as assualt rifles etc). However in places such as Europe I believe in strict anti-gun laws. Also I am against the selling of arms to all oppresive regimes (friendly and unfriendly), but I don't think that is what you had in mind as gun control.

I went into a shop in a small town in the states and it had guns that the army would use.

Why do people need to own these? I mean they looked cool and all, but...
I wouldn'd feel safe in a town that had one of those shops. My natural instinct would probably be to buy a gun to protect myself from those crazy people who i thought had guns.

Its a catch 22. People get armed because they are afraid of other people who are armed.

"Some type of gun control should be enforced" is my vote.
That is something that fits good in the society where I live. I do however understand, recognize and respect that others feel differently, since they live in a different society with a different mentality.

I'm against gun control. Criminals can probably get guns either they are legal or not. Besides, outlawing guns would probably create a very unpleasant black market.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
Self defense, plain and simple.

When i walk down a street i know that nobody has a gun, not unless they are in some sort of gang or organisation that isn't going to affect me.

If i walk down a street in americia, and someones gives me hassle, its in the back of my head that this person probably has a gun.

I used to live beside fellas who were 18 to 20 and they had a sub machine gun. These lads all thought they were gangtas and they were clowns for the best part.
I went to a party and some dickhead brought a loaded gun into the house and started showing it off.
He sat it on the kitchen counter and says, 'watch that its loaded'.

Everyone was drunk....

I thought theres something very wrong with this picture.

I am for very strict gun controls. When I think about it, we have very strict gun controls. If your rifle isn't clean and shiny, you get your butt kicked. That somehow makes a gun less attractive.

i think there should be gun control. I agree with the waiting period and i think we should make no exceptions. i also don't think you should be allowed to buy automatic weapons. I also don't understand how you can use them for defense when most people store their gun in a locked box in the attic, unless the burglar called them 30 minutes before hand they'd never stand a chance to get to it

If there were a way to make sure that NO ONE had guns, it should be done. But there's not, and so the question gets tricky. First of all, NO civilian should be able to have anything besides a handgun or rifle, because there's no excuse for it. (Better yet, people should just have muskets. ;))

And of course making guns illegal won't turn a place into a gunless paradise. The people that really want guns--who are probably the ones most dangerous with them--would still be able to get them illegally. And all the law-abiding citizens would be defenseless.

At least that's what I used to say, and so I used to think that complete gun control is a bad idea. But then I thought, wait a minute... If a guy comes into your house with a gun, are you going to actually be doing you and your family a favor by going to him, shouting, "You there!" and challenging him to a duel? No, at least not unless you're a perfect marksman. First of all, anyone who breaks into your house is most likely crazy or drugged (or both), and you won't know what to expect. The best thing to do is have a reliable security system (or a couple howling dogs) (not to mention calling the police, of course), not a gun. If I'm not mistaken, people with guns to protect their families lead to the deaths of their family members more often than protect them. Or at least lead to so many accidents that it's not worthwhile.

So my point is, maybe complete gun control (all firearms illegal) isn't such a bad idea. Except for maybe if you get some sort of hunter's permit, in which case you can use a rifle to go hunting.

Originally posted by cgannon64
Anything beyond handguns and hunting rifles is unneccessary and should be banned from civilian use.

No one needs a machine gun unless they want to kill alot of people quickly...

(points at cgannon64)
What he said.

Ideally I would want the banishment of guns (for private ownership anyway), but that is completely unpragmatic.

Thus I voted for the second option. In Canada, guns are a privilage, not a right and should be treated accordingly.

Top Bottom