Votes: 14 19.2%
  • It is somewhat of a good idea

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • It is a squarely a good idea

Votes: 30 41.1%

• Total voters

kurdi

Chieftain
What do you guys think about Firaxis increasing the cost of Praetorians from 40 to 45 hammers in the v152 patch.

kurdi said:
What do you guys think about Firaxis increasing the cost of Praetorians from 40 to 45 hammers in the v152 patch.

I play marathon, you cant even get an Archer for 45 hammers :)

It was previously a bit over-powered for the cost - there again in real history the Romans were a bit over-powered in that era.

Tried playing with Rome last night to see what the hype was all about, wiped four civs off the map before BC time period was over...with julius' traits, it's conducive to rapid expansion, and with prats your going to expand...rome is wayy to powerful (that is if you have iron:king: )

MeteorPunch said:
I think they should be 50-55.
Agreed. I finally tried the Romans out recently, and even with the increase in cost, they run rampant across the landscape. The 5 shields is not a big deal when you are talking about a unit that rarely loses against any of its contemporaries. It may take a bit longer to build up an initial force, but maintaining the force really doesn't change much, because you can only support so many units anyways.

Anything to tame the overpowered beast, yet give them room to still conquer and flex their muscles.

The Romans were a ***** in multiplayer before the patch. Now they are somewhat more appropriate, but they can still win wars.

I won my first games on Immortal and Emperor using the Prats last weekend. They are overpowered still, which is great unless they turn up as your nextdoor neighbor in 4000bc.

MetHimPikeHoses said:
I won my first games on Immortal and Emperor using the Prats last weekend. They are overpowered still, which is great unless they turn up as your nextdoor neighbor in 4000bc.

Its seems appropriate to quote someone else here (apologies but I cant remember who)..

"Deny Caeser access to iron , and he behaves like a perfect gentleman"

or tame him with archers and chariots before he gets ironworking.

I'm all for UU balancing. IMO, all UU's should cost more than their normal game counterparts and provide much more quality per unit. The way its designed now, all UU's cost the same and are only slightly better (and in some instances worse) than the unit you would have built in its place.

Later UU's like SEALs need large attack power boosts though as their contribution to the game is minimal compared to the praet even at 45 shields.

I don't think the extra production cost really matters. You can still usually churn a Praetorian out every turn after researching metal casting, and building forges in your cities. Spot on if you're planning an early rush!

Sgt Grimes said:
I don't think the extra production cost really matters. You can still usually churn a Praetorian out every turn after researching metal casting, and building forges in your cities. Spot on if you're planning an early rush!

Forges only help with the production of buildings, don't they?

An increase from 40 to 45 isn't really that much considering the devastating power of the unit. I've played as rome since the patch and didn't notice the cost increase at all.

Zhahz said:
Forges only help with the production of buildings, don't they?

A forge is equally useful for producing buildings, and units Zhahz.

It gives the city a 25% increase in hammer production, can turn one citizen into an engineer, and gives a +1 happiness bonus if the city is connected to gold, silver, and gems. The only downside being, that it also generates a -1 health in the city.

Top Bottom