1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[POLL] How do veteran Civ 4 players rate Civ 6?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Gl0bal1st, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
?

As a Civ 4 veteran how would you rate Civ 6 out of the following?

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very Good

11.5%
  3. Good

15.4%
  4. Average

34.6%
  5. Bad

11.5%
  6. Very Bad

7.7%
  7. Terrible

26.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gl0bal1st

Gl0bal1st Chieftain

Civ 4 Fanatics,

I'm regretfully announcing that until my request has been fulfilled I will no longer be playing Civ 4 :(. That being said, I still have the Civ itch that needs to be scratched. I'm thinking it might be time to make the switch to Civ 6 but I want to know what Civ 4 veterans think.

How does Civ 6 compare to Civ 4?

2. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Civ 4 is a single-threaded 32-bit application. To have it running flawlessly on modern systems required re-coding it as a multi-threaded 64-bit application. Completely impossible for modders to do unless Firaxis release all the source code. Even then, the Gamebryo Engine that Civ4 uses wasn't created by Firaxis or even owned by them. It's licensed, so Firaxis legally cannot release the source code for that. In conclusion, only Firaxis can modernise Civ4, and only by licensing or creating a more modern engine – i.e. spend a lot of money which they would probably rather spend on Civ6 or Civ7. Never gonna happen.

As for Civ6... it's okay, definitely better than 5, but still headed in directions too far removed from the Civ we know and love with 4. And no matter how powerful or modern one's gaming PC is, it won't improve a terrible AI.

plasmacannon, trevor and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  3. Gl0bal1st

Gl0bal1st Chieftain

Nooo! Don't say that! Lemon Merchant has my hopes up at the moment.

I really hope my problems can be solved because I'd hate to say goodbye to this franchise. I refuse to play a new Civ game until it can at least be worthy of standing next to 4.

plasmacannon likes this.
  4. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Oh, I hadn't seen that thread, just your request, which didn't go into any detail. That's a much more specific issue than the complaints about MAFs and general slowness that usually crop here. Civ4 runs as well on Windows 10 as it did for any previous version. Sounds like a resolution issue to me. Start at 1024*768 and see if unmodded BTS will run with the graphics settings you want. Don't try increase the resolution until you've determined which graphics settings are problematic and which are not. Turning the the Anti-Aliasing off completely helps sometimes too.

5. Gl0bal1st

Gl0bal1st Chieftain

My problems were solved by downloading the GOG version for some weird reason.

Anyway, no need to waste money on Civ6 now. Huzzah!!

:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

Xyth likes this.
  6. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

They don't. :D

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Average at best. Might want to stop hiding rules and adding a few thousand extra clicks/game. Having some balance between VCs and unit progression would be nice too, though to be fair this was already an issue in Civ 4.

need my speed and plasmacannon like this.
  8. ThunderLizard2

ThunderLizard2 Chieftain

1 UPT killed the Civ franchise. The AI can't handle it.