(Poll) How important is the Multiplayer in Civ.4 too you?

How Important is the Multiplayer too you?

• Very Important

Votes: 52 23.4%
  • Important

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Not very Important

Votes: 53 23.9%
  • I Don't plan to Play Multiplayer at all

Votes: 88 39.6%

• Total voters

Phoenix_56721

Prince
Just wondering how important the multiplayer mode is too people on this forum. Since they have done a lot of work to improve the multiplayer this time around, unlike Civ.3 when the multiplayer was just a after thought.

Well even though i have been playing CIV games from the early beginings i have never gone online to play, one reason is becuse online games were inefficiant and my 3D addicted friends never really botherd to get into the civ games in much detail.

This time around i think the 3d has got their attention so they will surly get the game and thus there is a great deal of importance placed in online gaming for me this time around.

I'm not really interested that much, frankly. I've played a couple of multiplayer games of civ, but really, its just not the right kind of game for that. There are much better turn-based games for that. A multiplayer game has to be simpler and briefer than civ imo ... maybe a few people like it, but most people I think prefer faster shorter kinds of games for MP. A popular turn based game that I liked for MP was the Panzer General series. It was simple and fun and fast. But PG style games are alot less fun than civ for single player, and overall not as enduring or deserving of a permanent spot on the hard drive.

frekk you stole the words out of my mouth...civ....ehhhh...no...starcraft...you tell me when what room in battle net.lol.(older school but still fun as hell)

It doesn't really matter to me, only time I play MP is when I'm bored out of my mind of playing single player... which is hardly ever.

I only play big, epic games, and that's just not suitable for multiplayer. Could try one of the 'quick' modes, but that defeats the whole point of Civ for me - to create a world from scratch and rule it.

I am highly unlikely to play multiplayer unless I can find opponents of the same skill level who don't mind unpredictability in my schedule, although the short game options that I've heard about might make it practical. However, even if I never play MP, I am very glad that it's there because Firaxis will develop a richer, more balanced game by focusing on multiplayer than they would have had their play testing been only single player. It's too easy to adapt the game to the AI if you control both, but you can't do that if your focus during play testing and refinement is on MP.

I was introduce to Civ 1 by a friend and we sat in front of the PC all night making Joint decisions and building up the Greeks to a world power. I've been hooked ever since.

However, I never thought Multiplayer was a good idea for Civ. I've done that for Total Annihilation, but not for Civ.

I would enjoy a multiplayer, that is if I could save it and plan out times to play and save with the same people, like single player only with real people, you know who think before they do something stupid like declare war on a modern age superpower who turned one of the others into nothing while they are in the medivial age, or can admit when they are getting their butt kicked or might be willing to trade cities (you never know) or something like that.

well- kinda of interesting results- once i played multi player i quit single player all together. Playing against humans is a thousand times more enjoyable and more challenging- made single player obsolete and boring for me- if they spent alot of time on the multi player side of the game it was a wise decision - future gamers are more multi player oriented i suspect- and the "core" civ fan base is getting older- they will fall away except for a few old dinosaurs. Surprised not one multi player positive response on this thread...(it is flawed as hell- but better than Rome Total War series on multi (
balance)

Perfection - a personal evaluation-
not a quote by a person no one ever heard of -
Picasso- "an artist must also know when to stop" (not "take away")

Playing against humans is the definitive challenge. Civ4 being primary a multiplayer game sounds like I'll enjoy it a lot. :D Civ3 has proven me that playing MP with Civ is possible and enjoyable, and that it can gather people inside a friendly community... But my experience is limited to PBEM almost. Civ3 wasn't that good in MP, but Civ4 promises so much... If it fails, I won't play that game, but that is very unlikely now.

I voted "Don't plan to play", although I may. The problem being that I don't particularly mind about multiplayer in Civ IV either way for my own use, but I do mind aobut it because I know lots of people wants it, and I think that (in this case) they should have it, and have it well done.

I love playing multiplayer with other people in the same room/home (it's much better when you can combine drinking with others into the game). The games usually come down to humans v. AI, with each human waiting for the prime opportunity to stab the others in the back.

Anonymous internet multiplayer sucks, as anyone who is losing just quits.

wooga said:
Anonymous internet multiplayer sucks, as anyone who is losing just quits.

But that's why there are fansites like this one. A good place to find dedicated MP players who won't just quit. ;)

I only play single player, so MP isn't important to me.

frekk said:
I'd rather that they spent all that time on AI.
A bit extreme as you'll notice, but if it were down to me to choose between an excellent multiplayer feature (and not just online gaming !) and an excellent AI, I'd choose the former. Humans will always be better than AIs at this kind of games (at least for a long time ;) ), and they're funnier to play as well ; and there are places where to find humans to play with when you want to. I said it was a bit extreme. :mischief:

@ wooga : As a mod has already pointed out, there are places on the Internet where you can meet people for MP games and get friends with them. And sometimes some people meet in RL for a day or two. I know it first hand. :)

I tried civ3 MP, and found so-so. I stop mostly because there was one I could realy play with.

So if they improve the MP, and more people are willing to play it, I love to try it out.

Top Bottom