Poll: How many are HOF/Buffy/XOTM incompatible after the Steam update?

Can you play HOF/Buffy/XOTMs now in these versions?

• Yes, I can play in all three versions

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • I can't play in vanilla, my vanilla steam is hosed

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I can't play in vanilla, my vanilla steam and disk are hosed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't play in warlords, my warlords steam is hosed

• I can't play in warlords, my warlords steam and disk are hosed

• I can't play in BTS, my BTS steam is hosed

• I can't play in BTS, my BTS steam and disk are hosed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

da_Vinci

Gypsy Prince
I thought it might be worth it to assess the damage.

It is a multiple choice poll, pick one yes to all or pick up to one no answer for each version.

For each version (vanilla, warlords, BTS) I see two ways to be trashed: You only have steam, and that is busted, OR you have Steam and disk versions, and both are busted (if disk is not, then you still can play that way, so you are not trashed).

For this poll, if you never play a version (vanilla or warlords most likely), then don't reply that you are busted for that version, as I am looking for a count of active players who can't play now.

Let's see how big a problem we have here.

dV

(looks like I can't substitute in the poll answers)

Moderator Action: Thanks for making the change.

I'm glad I don't have Steam.

Moderator Action: This thread is asking whether you have been affected by the STEAM update. It is not an opinion poll on whether you like STEAM, or not. Please do not start the STEAM bashing and defending as infractions will result. Please keep it civil and focus on the issue.

As far as I know, there will be no need to update the Mac HoF/Buffy mods. The Mac versions are unaffected by this issue.

Moderator Action: Two additional spam posts re. Steam have been recycled. . Please note the warning above.

Interesting non-results so far.

Maybe this is all moot, and no one has the issue. That would be great.

Or ... maybe no one is going BTS (Beyond the Sticky). The sticky list is now long enough that I have to scroll down to see the first non-sticky thread. :lol:

dV

I have been using steam for all version since getting a new box which came with windows 8. Have disks for vanilla and warlords, but would not want to go through the effort of trying to load on the new box and going through all the patching. Only Steam for BTS.
Have essentially stopped playing Civ 4 for now.

Please give this a try.

STEAM has heard us and has provided a beta to revert BtS to the pre-patch version. :clap:

edit - thanks to GKey for posting about it. :thumbsup:

Please give this a try.

STEAM has heard us and has provided a beta to revert BtS to the pre-patch version. :clap:

edit - thanks to GKey for posting about it. :thumbsup:
This is great news, since my rollback procedure did not seem to be universally successful for all who attempted it.

Leif, have they done this for all three versions (vanilla, warlords and BTS)? Or just BTS? BTS only might solve the pitboss direct ip issue (I doubt much pitboss is vanilla or warlords), but might leave some XOTM players in the lurch.

If it includes all three versions and it works, then this poll is now (thankfully) moot.

Provided people can get steam auto updates permanently turned off ... otherwise there might be a lot of repeated beta downloads ...

dV

Why would the beta keep downloading? Are you expecting them to keep creating new Civ4 betas?

Why would the beta keep downloading? Are you expecting them to keep creating new Civ4 betas?
I was thinking that the beta might get updated to the steamworks update if auto-updates are not off. Then the beta would have to be re-downloaded to fix, rinse and repeat, etc, etc.

If the beta is immune to steam updates, then it won't be a problem.

dV

I think the beta is immune to updates as long as you have it selected in the beta version window. On my copy of STEAM, next to Civ4, it lists the beta as the version selected. Hope it stays that way. :)

Top Bottom