1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll:How often do you bribe civs before congresses?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Akbarthegreat, Jan 27, 2012.

?

How often do you bribe civs before congresses?

1. Always

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Most of the time

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Sometimes/Rarely

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Never (Defy Resolution)

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

Title.
    And please post your reasons for doing so.

2. DylanAraki

DylanAraki Chieftain

Never. I've never had a super crucial congress and I always seem to have trouble with money and usually have none to spare.

3. Barbuesque

Barbuesque Chieftain

1) I tried 10-15 times at the 2 lowest amounts and never got a positive answer
    2) No guarantee a city I want will pop up, especially as I usually have all the cities I can afford, at least until the last expansion phase if I go for domination

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yeah, never. There's no way to judge who would vote for you, what cities will be disputed, and what's needed to influence it. The few times I tried had no effect, so it always feels like an offer to waste your money.

5. Synapce

Synapce Chieftain

I do sometimes but only when I have a small amount of cash and giving 50% away won't hurt.

6. great.taurus

great.taurus Chieftain

Almost never. If there's a city I want, but can't take, I'll do some bribery if it looks like a close vote. This very rarely happens.

7. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

hmm, I'm surprised. I've been playin as Germany and bribing works for me. it works better with poorer countries, and countries that are pleased with you. I've managed to bribe the Dutch, the Portugesse, and the Americans on separate occaisons. Here's a warning: do not attempt to bribe your vassals. haha. I did in a game (brain fart, they usually vote your way anyway) and my vassals (Mali) were so offended by the bribe attempt they voted against me in every vote!

8. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

even if you dont want to take a city, having an extra vote can really help you keep from getting on of your cities taken (or, avoiding war if you plan on defying the congress).

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Is there actually a point in bribing pleased civs? Most of the time those vote for me anyway.

10. Akbarthegreat

Never vote for annoyed civs is another thing I've learnt.

11. morff

morff Chieftain

I don't usually bribe them, because it usually doesn't work (for me). Why? I'm usually friendly with most of the civs, except few (religious hatred) - and you need like at least few hunderts to bribe them, which is another problem, i consider it waste of money... especially because i don't need the crappy cities they offering me :]

12. Akbarthegreat

Quite different from me, I usually suck at diplomacy. Regarding congresses, I quickly get MM to obsolete them.

13. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Always, but they always reject too :rolleyes:
    What obsoletes congresses? Mass Media? I think I'm going to avoid that tech from now on, as I regard congresses as one of the best parts of RFC. I love the random city swapping, and you can reject it when people ask for your cities.