Poll: is the "leaked" list of leaders real?

Is the list of leaders real?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture of Eleanor, supposedly, "leaked" by Cool Gamer on the YT stream...

https://imgur.com/kRsFtE5

He also "leaked" this slightly different list of leaders, which I'm less convinced by than the picture:

Why would they pick Kupe, a mythological person, as the leader of the Maori?
Also, ugh on Canada, I have to wait for Maya, Babylon, Ethiopia, etc...in order to get a post Colonial English speaking nation? :rolleyes:

And Victoria and Qin Shi were in civ4 :p
Oh! And Saladin of course. ...and Cyrus and Peter.

Wait, when did he add "in Civ V". D:
*sigh*

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you look at the list of leaders in Civ VI for Civs that were also in Civ V, it's pretty rare that they have reused the same leader for both games. They have used a few that were in Civ III or IV, sure, but very rarely one from Civ V.

Saladin, Cyrus, Victoria, Qin Shi Huang and Peter were not in Civ V. Their Civs were, represented by other leaders.

Gandhi is always in Civ whenever India is, so he doesn't really count. Same goes for Montezuma, Genghis and Shaka. Alexander was in Civ V, but he represented a different Civ.

When they have the choice of picking the same leader in Civ VI to the one they chose in Civ V, they have always gone for an alternative EXCEPT where the leader is really iconic to the Civ franchise (always appears with their Civ) or there wasn't a good alternative. So I would be surprised to see Suleiman and Pachacuti again before Civ VII. I might be less surprised with Dido as she's leading a different Civ according to the leak.

*sigh*

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you look at the list of leaders in Civ VI for Civs that were also in Civ V, it's pretty rare that they have reused the same leader for both games. They have used a few that were in Civ III or IV, sure, but very rarely one from Civ V.

Saladin, Cyrus, Victoria, Qin Shi Huang and Peter were not in Civ V. Their Civs were, represented by other leaders.

Gandhi is always in Civ whenever India is, so he doesn't really count. Same goes for Montezuma, Genghis and Shaka. Alexander was in Civ V, but he represented a different Civ.

When they have the choice of picking the same leader in Civ VI to the one they chose in Civ V, they have always gone for an alternative EXCEPT where the leader is really iconic to the Civ franchise (always appears with their Civ) or there wasn't a good alternative.
Sowwyyy but you kinda expanded on that earlier post without me seeing it.^^"

Sowwyyy but you kinda expanded on that earlier post without me seeing it.^^"
My apologies. I edit my posts a lot because I often don't finish thinking through things until I've just posted them. Gotta be quick on these forums ;)

*sigh*

When they have the choice of picking the same leader in Civ VI to the one they chose in Civ V, they have always gone for an alternative EXCEPT where the leader is really iconic to the Civ franchise (always appears with their Civ) or there wasn't a good alternative. So I would be surprised to see Suleiman and Pachacuti again before Civ VII. I might be less surprised with Dido as she's leading a different Civ according to the leak.
Monty wasn't in civ V and VI, actually. Monty in civi is Moctezuma II and in civ V Moctezuma I.

Monty wasn't in civ V and VI, actually. Monty in civi is Moctezuma II and in civ V Moctezuma I.
Oh, I see! I thought they were all the same Monty :lol:

So in that case it's just Gandhi, Shaka, Alexander and Genghis...

You're right, Mansa Musa was from a previous title. Point is though that I find unlikely they would bring back so many leaders when they've been going out of their way seemingly to pick different ones this time, where alternatives exist.

Apart from Alexander, Genghis, Shaka and Montezuma I can't think of any other Civ VI leaders that were in Civ V. So three out of eight is still a lot. And okay, Mansa Musa was from Civ IV but that's still the last time Mali were in the game.

eta: And Gandhi. But he doesn't really count, he basically IS the Civilization franchise :p

The second list is a lot more balanced in terms of world representation when compared to the first one. The first list is just horrible. Leaders such as Atahualpa and Rolexana are not interesting and do not make a lot of sense from a historical context.

The second list is a lot more balanced in terms of world representation when compared to the first one. The first list is just horrible. Leaders such as Atahualpa and Rolexana are not interesting and do not make a lot of sense from a historical context.

And I don't think Firaxis would do this with the Turkish players, who were angry enough with the Ottomans coming so late. Imagine how much they would be happy when the Ottomans' leader shows up to be a Slavic woman who (although influential) never ruled the Empire!

I think Roxelana is an interesting historical woman, but I struggle with her fitness to lead the Ottomans. I would have enjoyed an alternative to Suleiman, as the Ottomans (and broader, the Turks) have an extensive history which would allow for variety, but that seemed the wrong way to go.

Not that Firaxis always makes the best choices.

So at this point we have 2 competing leaks:

Civs and leaders in common:
Mali - Mansa Musa
Alt for England and/or France - Eleanor

Civs in common with different leaders:
Maori - Tāwhiao or Kupe
Ottomans -Roxelana or Suleiman
Hungary - Arpad or Matthias Corvinus
Inca - Atahualpa or Pachacuti

Civs in first leak only:
Colombia - Simon Bolivar
Burma - Anawrahta
Noongar - Midgegooroo

Civs in second leak only:
Sweden - Kristina
Phoenicia - Dido
Canada - Laurier

And of course some follow up material from both leakers, including "Time and Tide" as the name for the Expansion from leaker #1. We will probably know the expansion name in about an hour and a half, although i doubt we will have official details on any of the Civs that are included at that time.

I'm rather sure the name is Gathering Storm and not Time and Tide. After all, the placeholder graphic on the civilization webpage was called "civilizationVI-gs_logo_L1.png"

Mali - Mansa Musa

Maori - Tāwhiao or Kupe

Civs in first leak only:
Colombia - Simon Bolivar
Burma - Anawrahta
Noongar - Midgegooroo

Sweden - Kristina
Phoenicia - Dido
Canada - Laurier

And of course some follow up material from both leakers, including "Time and Tide" as the name for the Expansion from leaker #1. We will probably know the expansion name in about an hour and a half, although i doubt we will have official details on any of the Civs that are included at that time.

Suddenly my "to be able to track down who was providing leaks, they'd have to take measures such as give each translator only half of the real names" has gone from "but it wold never be economical for them to do that for something as financially inconsequential as the early release of civ leaders" to "seriously, did they maybe actually do something like that?"

I'm rather sure the name is Gathering Storm and not Time and Tide. After all, the placeholder graphic on the civilization webpage was called "civilizationVI-gs_logo_L1.png"
I saw the GS in the link to the upcoming logo - but didn't have any evidence showing Gathering Storm was in any of the content of Leaker #2 which is why i didn't mention it specifically.

Suddenly my "to be able to track down who was providing leaks, they'd have to take measures such as give each translator only half of the real names" has gone from "but it wold never be economical for them to do that for something as financially inconsequential as the early release of civ leaders" to "seriously, did they maybe actually do something like that?"

I don't think that happened. To me, there are 3 options:

1. The "Hungarian translator" leaked list is just a hoax

2. The "Hungarian translator" was for the Hungarian leader's voice acting, since apparently the game isn't actually in Hungarian yet. If that is true, it is far more likely that they created the entire list of leaders and text to be translated and sent it out to the people doing the translation (which might have been just one company). If so the entire list should be accurate.

3. The "Hungarian translator" leaked list is partially accurate because he only had a partial list, and he had false flag data. That would mean that Firaxis spent the money to hire 2 translators for the new Hungarian version of the game that now includes Hungary as a viable Civ instead of just relying on their NDA. To me, that seems far fetched based on my experiences with corporate America (and I work in a far more security conscious industry than game design).

the first list is a hoax, the second one very likely isn't. End of story.

Mali - Mansa Musa

Maori - Tāwhiao or Kupe

Civs in first leak only:
Colombia - Simon Bolivar
Burma - Anawrahta
Noongar - Midgegooroo

Sweden - Kristina
Phoenicia - Dido
Canada - Laurier
Give me Colombia over Canada from the first leak and I'd be happy and believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom