1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Is there a need for an "official" fix to the tech pace problem?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Keith Larson, Nov 18, 2005.

?

Is There a Need for an Official Patch to the Tech Pace Problem?

1. I like the current tech pace and don’t want it to change.

27 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. I think the current tech pace is too fast, but am content to let the Mod Community fix it.

28 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. I think the current tech pace is too fast and believe this should be addresses by a patch.

92 vote(s)
    62.6%
  1. Nuh Uh

Nuh Uh Warlord

I'm play testing 3 month turns starting at 4000 bc, with all of the bonus resources and techs moded to suit the history of the Civs and their time-lined entrance to the game :crazyeye:. Wine is available upon the entrance of Pottery, for example. Very interesting :scan:. So far so good and fun, Sorcette :D.

2. EdCase

EdCase Defender of the Faithless

Sounds intriguing..but I think most people would want to play more than one game in their lifespan;)

3. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

I think they should fix the science advancement problem for all eras, not just the later ones. At least the epic game should be fixed, because, at present, it is nothing but slowed-down normal game, which is not the point of playing an epic game, really.

Put science development at 120-140% for normal game and somewhere over 200% for epic...

4. Nuh Uh

Nuh Uh Warlord

It moves a lot faster than you might think, unless of course you are a Gamespy groupie. And as with all of the games, you decide the victory conditions. Its a test, winkie, not a Mod (yet).

5. BearMan

BearMan One More Turn...

On the other hand, I wouldn't care if they increased the research time either ;)

6. faithkills

faithkills Chieftain

It definitely makes the end game boring. It should be addressed in the patch 1) because it's easy and 2) since so many people want it it will be much better to have it in the game that depend on mods which make it more of a hassle for MP.

7. Xerxes_Pi

Xerxes_Pi Chieftain

I end up in a forced Space Race to win. It goes by too fast. I agree.

I disable the 2050 AD victory since it is too quick.

Soon to disable Space Victory, but may well try the new Mod tweak to research next. I hope the AI "understands" it.

8. someone447

someone447 Chieftain

I would love for there to be really short turns, time span wise. Something like 10 years are the beginning of the game, down to 1-6 months at the end.

9. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Only 18% of voters so far think that the pace is fine and a whopping 64% think that it should be addressed by Firaxis ... good poll!

10. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Can I just say one thing? If they (or someone) slows down the tech pace, they have to slow down the progression of time as well! I do not want to be using cavalry and riflemen in 2000AD.

11. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I think if they slow down tech, that SS component cost need to be rasied too, in order to not get Civ3-like sitation when all components of one type are finished before components of other type are researched. So it gets just question of tech race.

From that point of view, current tech speed is balanced. You can't finish all compenents of one type and get nothing to build until tech for some other component is researched.