Poll: Merging Nordic/Scandinavian civs (Denmark, Sweden and Norway) into one Nordic civ in CIV 7?

Should Nordic civs remain as separated civs like Denmark, Sweden and Norway or merged into one?

• Remain separated civs ("Denmark", "Sweden" and "Norway")

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Merge into one Nordic civ "Norse" includes Finland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Merge into one Nordic civ "Norse" excludes Finland

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Lord of War N02

Grand Master of the East
Back to CIV 3 and 4, there was a single unified Nordic civ with named Viking which consists of all Nordic countries as in the city list, the cities includes it from all Nordic countries.

Starting from CIV 5, Nordic civ is separated into Denmark and Sweden and in CIV 6, it has Norway and Sweden instead.

Having all Nordic civs merged into one unified civ like in CIV 3 and 4 will allow more open slots to put other civs in. This could be happened in CIV 7.

Note: Nordic countries includes Finland but I also put in the poll that whether the single Nordic civ should includes Finland too or not as the Finns are Uralic but it has historical ties with the Nordic countries and cultures.

No, they're different things. Because of pop culture, people want their Viking civ. Sweden represents the Renaissance era Protestant superpower. What we don't need is a third Scandinavian civ, as interesting as a Margaret-led Denmark might be.

Anyway Dutch and English are pretty much Germanic Protestant Renaissance powers also.
Well it depends on who rules them at the time. :mischief:

No, they're different things. Because of pop culture, people want their Viking civ. Sweden represents the Renaissance era Protestant superpower. What we don't need is a third Scandinavian civ, as interesting as a Margaret-led Denmark might be.
I'd also like to add on that Sweden today has became more well known due to pop culture in itself: IKEA, ABBA, PewDiePie just to name a few.

Anyway going back to a Nordic civ almost kind of feels like a regression. If we do that then why not combine Russia and Poland into a "Slavic" civ to make room for even more? :shifty:

Anyway Dutch and English are pretty much Germanic Protestant Renaissance powers also.
The Dutch were more a victim of the 17th century religious wars than a player in them; they were pretty much at the mercy of their more powerful neighbors. They probably would have fallen back into the hands of the Hapsburgs were it not for the protection of England and France (who sided with the Protestants for political reasons). Also England's Reformation was a very moderate thing, the so-called Third Way, and it never showed much interest in protecting Protestants on the Continent. There's a reason Gustavus Adolphus was referred to as the Lion of the North.

It's an interesting time period. I hope we get Sigismund II Augustus for Poland in Civ7.

Well it depends on who rules them at the time. :mischief:
"Mary I leads England in Sid Meier's Civilization VII!" "Margaret of Parma leaders the Netherlands in Sid Meier's Civilization VII!" :mischief:

Honestly, I think two Nordic nations in a single game is disprooortionally much compared to their historical population and importance, especially as I am still waitining on more than one faction from Indian subcontinent which usually contained like 25% of humanity divided on dozens of cultures, languages and emoires. So I don't care which one I get, I just want it to be ine faction and more slots given to Really Big historical civilizations.

It would be also nice if we got more than three global Muslim civilizations, then I could think of a second Nordic civ which all taken together barely had impact on anything between Vikings and twentieth century.

I also wouldn't drow myself out of sorrow if for example we had Finland as the only representative and no "Vikings" in one game...

Sweden with two leaders Erik Segersäll and Gustavus Adolphus. No need for two civs no need to be named Norse.
To clarify, I'm not dying for a Viking civ. I'm just saying you know we'll have one because pop culture demands it so I just kind of accept it as inevitable. I do, however, consider an Early Modern Sweden pretty essential.

I mean theoretically the only thing I can really see happening if they merge together is something like this:
Margaret I leads Scandinavia in Civ VII
Tundra bonuses because why not?
Berserker or Viking Longship UU
IKEA Unique Building
:shifty:

Makes India and Civ 6 Germany look tame. :lol:

I mean theoretically the only thing I can really see happening if they merge together is something like this:
Margaret I leads Scandinavia in Civ VII
Tundra bonuses because why not?
Berserker or Viking Longship UU
IKEA Unique Building
:shifty:

This is just giving me flashbacks to @Krajzen's joke "Western" civilization...

This is just giving me flashbacks to @Krajzen's joke "Western" civilization...
Probably took it a little too far.
More realistically it could have the Open Air Museum as the unique infrastructure and Nobel Prizes as the ability. Still not the most ideal situation.

I know this is a joke. So sorry but this is for anybody seeing this without proper context.

INDIA on CIV6= >2300 years of history, basically 1/6 of worlds population, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Islam, Sikhism, a whole branch of Indoeuropean languages and the whole Dravidian family.

NORWAY+SWEDEN on CIV6= <1300 years of history, less than 1/234 of worlds population, Norse and Christian, a sub-branch of Indoeuropean languages.

Certainly the generalization is still worse for India than for the guys from the Kalmar Union.

I know this is a joke. So sorry but this is for anybody seeing this without proper context.

INDIA on CIV6= >2300 years of history, basically 1/6 of worlds population, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Islam, Sikhism, a whole branch of Indoeuropean languages and the whole Dravidian family.

NORWAY+SWEDEN on CIV6= <1300 years of history, less than 1/234 of worlds population, Norse and Christian, a sub-branch of Indoeuropean languages.

Certainly the generalization is still worse for India than for the guys from the Kalmar Union.
It depends on how you want to interpret it.

All the uniques for India (Dharma, Stepwell, and Varu) fit well with Chandragupta as a leader based off of the timeframe, at least as far as I'm aware. That's at least what I was basing my statement off of.

Aesthetically I’m personally a proponent of a Viking civ. I can’t justify it beyond that, it just feels right to me.

Gonna have to agree here. Plus, a well-designed Viking civ has a fun little niche in the game, playing like an aquatic form of the horse raider nomad civs.

Aesthetically I’m personally a proponent of a Viking civ. I can’t justify it beyond that, it just feels right to me.

Gonna have to agree here. Plus, a well-designed Viking civ has a fun little niche in the game, playing like an aquatic form of the horse raider nomad civs.

Yeah I don't think anybody is really questioning whether a Viking civ needs to be in the game or not, well except @Zaarin maybe.:rolleyes:

Any Norse blob would probably be a Viking Civ which is why if we want a non-Viking representation for Scandinavia, like Sweden, they need to remain separate. Unless they introduce Finland as a new civ. :shifty:

Yeah I don't think anybody is really questioning whether a Viking civ needs to be in the game or not, well except @Zaarin maybe.:rolleyes:
I mean, @Krajzen and @BuchiTaton were questioning its legitimacy a lot harder than I did; I just think it's a low priority. :p For precisely the reasons they mentioned: do we really need two Scandinavian civs when we can't get more than one civ on the Indian Subcontinent, can't get more than one civ in North America, and can't even get a Central Asian civ? And if we only get one Scandinavian civ, it obviously should be Early Modern Sweden. But pop culture likes its Vikings so we will have a Viking civ.

I think if Civ7 brings in wars for reasons other than conquest as some have speculated, it will actually be a boost to how interesting a Viking civ can be. The Vikings did some small scale conquest (Normandy, the Danelaw, the Kingdom of the Isles, Dublin), but really they should be more about raiding and trade. The best reason to bring back the Vikings, though, is that both Civ5 Denmark and Civ6 Norway had fantastic music. :mischief:

I mean, @Krajzen and @BuchiTaton were questioning its legitimacy a lot harder than I did; I just think it's a low priority. :p For precisely the reasons they mentioned: do we really need two Scandinavian civs when we can't get more than one civ on the Indian Subcontinent, can't get more than one civ in North America, and can't even get a Central Asian civ? And if we only get one Scandinavian civ, it obviously should be Early Modern Sweden. But pop culture likes its Vikings so we will have a Viking civ.
Well I consider Scythia as a Central Asian civ, the first in the series, but that's a different topic. I agree on the others. That being said I think we're past the point of asking for one civ from Scandinavia after the past two iterations of the game had Early Modern Sweden in the game and a civ based off of the Vikings (Denmark and Norway).

I think that Sweden plus a Viking civ will still continue into future games. The real question is when will Kalmar Union Denmark show up?

Well I consider Scythia as a Central Asian civ, the first in the series, but that's a different topic.
I agree, but I wasn't thinking of a steppe civ (of which Scythia is not the first as we've also had Huns and Mongolia). I was thinking of a settled Silk Road civ.

I think that Sweden plus a Viking civ will still continue into future games. The real question is when will Kalmar Union Denmark show up?
I actually think Kalmar Denmark could fit what I suggested above. Make Margaret I the leader, give her a leader bonus emphasizing trade, have the civ bonus emphasize pillaging, and toss in a Longship UU. It's Kalmar Denmark with shades of Viking Denmark.

Top Bottom