1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: National Parks' Glowing Green Outlines

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aesthetician, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Do you want the glowing green park outlines removed?

1. No, I want my nature contained in sci-fi force-fields.

28 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. I only care about REAL issues like AI, you aesthetically obsessed freak.

21 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Please Pan yes! Let the system designed to celebrate nature look... natural!

22 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Other: "the loaded format of these answers offends me"

22 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I don't drink, but a "Bad Guy" balloon over enemy units would still be helpful. :lol:

Jkchart, Kjimmet and WillowBrook like this.
  2. StamVI

StamVI Chieftain

I only care about REAL issues like AI without calling you aesthetically obsessed freak. :)

3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'm sure there's a more aesthetically pleasing way to show national parks on the map. The fence is not visible enough, IMO, but I have no objection to changing the green line in some way. But it would be quite low on my wishlist (if I actually wrote out a wishlist) of improvements I'd like. Deciduous trees and national parks in other orientations besides vertical triangles would definitely be higher.

kaspergm and Zaarin like this.
  4. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

So much yes

5. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

For me it is not a big deal if there is a green boundary in it. Many graphics in this game are already ridiculous. Units as big as buildings, hills that are hard to distinguish, and if I am going to nitpick, the sun that rises in the west and sets in the east, and that reversed note in Great Musician graphic in GP panel.

WillowBrook likes this.
  6. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

I actually like the outline, it helps me see where the parks are at a glance. At least it's green, which fits the nature theme, and not bright pink or orange or something like that. But I am a utility and usability over aesthetics kind of guy, and I get that not everyone is.

Ideally there would be a toggle option so that everyone is happy, it's just a question of whether Firaxis want to spend development time on that.

7. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

95% sure this tiny greenish line is pre-declared within some ArtDef mode & other required 3D assets.
    I haven't looked deeper into the GFX components.. but, some skilled modder could certainly fiddle with that stuff & "fix it" for you. The trick would be WHAT needs to be done aside from any official Firaxis response or lackthereof.

Elhoim likes this.
  8. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

I'd love us to be allowed to build them horizontally and on different cities' territory (or to be able to swap 4 tiles away tiles)
    Don't really care about the glowing green borders.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

While I agree with your post, the restrictions remind me of government red tape to get a national park declared in the first place.

Elhoim, Zaarin and WillowBrook like this.
  10. Aesthetician

Aesthetician Chieftain

You are too kind, sir. Should you wish to call me a freak in this regard, I would not be offended: the answer's tones were formulated in good fun. :D

Aside from the "other" option, which has garnered a lot of support, suggesting that my intended humor may not have translated well for 1-in-5 of us, there is a split of support for "yes" and "no". I suppose a logical deduction is that a toggle option would have the broadest appeal. That or get rid of the lines but make the parks more clearly distinguishable.

I feel like the green hex lines should not be required for visibility. If they are, than that is a failure in the art design. (I generally love the art design). I understand some folks want options for in your face symbology, heck, some people play in strategic view to take this to its zenith. But visual system overlays should not be required to understand the game world, and it seems that is the case here as some folks did not even realize there was a fence graphic.

If you have ever built a national park incorporating some (but not all) of the tiles of a three tile natural wonder, like Lyseford for example, the way the one-plane green hex lines cut through the middle of it looks atrocious. It is one thing to see these green lines on flatland, but there are places where they look really ugly and undermine the geometry of the world.

@Zyxpsilon That sounds like language I do not understand, but something I would very grateful for! That, or if is something changeable in the xml, hand-holding from one of the experts here on how to change it.

Zaarin likes this.
  11. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

Excellent post, you convinced me to vote for you. Please post more as long as it's not about AI or which type of city is best.

For the whole game or just a moment to look at the map? That would be an interesting challenge to play the whole time without hints.

12. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

One if the add-on from Concise UI allows to get rid of the city banners and units icons.
    I think it's concise UI - MAP OPTIONS

Josephias likes this.
  13. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Sukritact's "Screenshot Mode" in his SimpleUI mod also offers such full-screen sweeping trick. A console command must be used to remove the City/Borders overlay though.

Josephias likes this.
  14. Patine

Patine Warlord

There's a huge national park in Botswana, one of the biggest in the world, which has no fences, but only marker signs. Botswana, like Uganda and the People's Republic of China, have the death penalty for poaching endangered species in their borders, however.

15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

So you're just playing in the First Age. ;)

Or the awful Great Musician MIDIs. :cry:

16. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

It has to be represented somehow. Obviously a fence doesn't make sense because you know ... nature. What other alternative is there, really?

17. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Also, people should remember that the fence and watch tower was not originally there. When game was released, the green line was the ONLY way to tell a natural park was there. The fence and tower was only added once people complained about it.

As for what else they could do ... well, ideally, apart from a visible fence - which I actually think makes sense, not to keep nature in, but to mark the boundary - if they really wanted to go in on it, they could make unique graphic designs with some unique trees with colourfull flowers, mountain peaks with splendid waterfalls, or savannah style animal herds running around, depending on the terrain within the park. But that would probably be too much to ask for.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. criZp

criZp Warlord

I think more they added the fence because the green line was a placeholder, but then forgot to remove the placeholder or just didn't bother about it.

Zaarin and Aesthetician like this.
  19. Aesthetician

Aesthetician Chieftain

@The googles do nothing Cheers! The parks and I are lichen the support from upstanding citizens like yourself.

In an ideal world where all of @Zaarin 's astute visual requests are met as well, I would love to see what you suggest @kaspergm, though I can imagine the scope requirements of our fancy will never be met.

I too find the fence and tower sufficient. Many national parks have portions that are contained in fences to guide human exploration, or to keep animals safe from highways, or to stop frat boys from falling into canyons, etc. But, there are other options I'm sure that could be layered in to enhance the park's pop:
    1. Make the fencing clearer.
    2. Add saturation shift on the color pallet to deeper richer tones.
    3. Add an animal to the three tiles that do not contain the tower/benches. there could be a few different sprites that are used at random like a bear, gazelle, snake nest, etc. This would require a smaller amount of art resource than even creating a new unit as they would not need multiple animations for different states. (imagine a goat chilling on your park mountains)
    4. enhance the scale of terrain features by some small margin, say 10%, so that the parks' trees are just a bit more impressive.
    5. Add a rustic park gate to each of the tiles.
    6. Add a simple flower skin to park tiles that do not have other terrain features, something that could be used across all terrain types other than snow.
    Just a few ideas off the top of my head, mix and match, throw in a few other gems, and I'm sure the park graphics could be amazing.

I personally build few parks not because they are weak compared to other sources of tourism, but because they make my inner hippy cry.

Jkchart, Zaarin and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  20. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

If my national parks aren't contained in a green sci-fi force field then Civ VI isn't worth it any more, I'm sorry to say.

All joking aside, it makes them easier to locate, but I do agree from the perspective of them being ugly.