1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] (no Discussion please) Civ5 enforces Steam - Will you buy it?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivFanMUC, May 7, 2010.

?

Buy or not?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2010.
  1. Yes, Steam(works) is ok

39.9%
  2. Yes, grumbling

14.4%
  3. I would buy it - but only without forced Steam

42.9%
  4. No, never planned to buy it

2.8%
  1. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

2. Taalen

Taalen Chieftain

Completely agree that there's plenty of conversation about the subject at half a dozen thread already at the very least - just wanted to point out that without the occasional post this may quickly sink out of sight, so someone's probably going to have to float it once a day or something...

3. Craxymaxy

Craxymaxy Warlord

I'm not trying to start a discussion but, really all those people won't buy it just because its on steam? Even though they've been following it for months?

4. CivFanMUC

CivFanMUC Chieftain

5. Taalen

Taalen Chieftain

And I'm not trying to continue a discussion, but not just because it's on Steam. Most things are. There's nothing wrong with alternatives and options. Making Steam mandatory is the problem.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

The poll is missing an option (to be fair, most polls miss it too). "Undecided" or something along those lines needs to be an option. So I can't vote. Even a "Maybe" option would have been nice.

Not a discussion on the topic. ;)

7. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Yes, I am fine with steam and will buy it on the first day of release.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I am fine with Steam. I've never had a problem with it and they have always provided excellent service.

9. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Same here. Completely undecided since i don't have steam and kinda new to it.

10. bhoffarth

bhoffarth Chieftain

Yes, Steam works. I have used it for over a year and never had a problem. The automatic updates are particularly nice and the extra content is an extra bonus. So, I will happily download this game when it become available in September.

11. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

There should be another option as well. For those of whom never had used Steam and don't want it, as well are ignorant on whether it be good, or quite intrusive to their game on their pc.

12. Provost Martin

Provost Martin Chieftain

Of course I'll buy it. Steam has gotten better since the first tries. It's stil far from perfect though, but it's no game breaker. Not entirely happy about it.

13. AvatarLDI

Will never buy it with Steam. I had one game (Half-Life2)with it on my old computer, forced me to be logged onto Steam every time I started my computer, even if I was not playing the game. Wasted computer memory when I was trying to run other programs. Took forever to get that crap off my old computer, and I believe it contributed to my hard drive problems. Never again. I will just continue to play Civ4, don't like the non stacking of units anyway.

14. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

I was going to buy it on steam anyways. Now I get to buy it on steam AND watch people complain about having to run a 10mb unobtrusive useful program. Very win-win.

15. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

It is not useful or unobtrusive at all for me. The only thing it does is annoy me. So, I won't buy this game.

16. Siran

Siran Warlord

You know that you can remove Steam from autostart without any problems, don't you? It want take any memory at all until you fire it up by hand which can do if you want to play your game.

17. AvatarLDI

When I had Bio-Shock 2, it did not remove everything. Still got the pop-ups and eventually had to go into my registry to manually remove references to it. Was like trying to get rid of a virus.

18. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Undecided, but likelier than not. Poll bad.

19. Siran

Siran Warlord

I don't understand. What did not remove everything? And why? Seems to me as if you uninstalled Bioshock 2 but not Steam. And as I said, you don't have to uninstall steam to get rid of the popup. Just take it out of autostart and you're ok.

20. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

*grumble grumble grumble*