Poll: # of units to defend a city?

How many units do you use to defend an average city?

• Zero, I leave most cities undefended!?

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • one

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • two

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • three

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • four

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • five or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use different numbers of units for each city.

Votes: 16 21.9%

• Total voters

subbss

"The Animal Guy!"
I hope I have made this poll right.

Everyone has their own style of playing Civ to go with their strategies, I would like to know 'how many units do you use to defend the average city' or if you use different numbers of defenders for each city.

I normally use only one unless I am preparing an offensive again a civ, and I place two defenders in bordor cities. (which normally stay there all game)

Much like strider, most of my defensive units are in the border cities. The heart of my civ is undefended.

Like Strider: 1 in most cities, 2 or more against borders. Always stuff a lot of units into the first city I capture on a new continent to prevent it from flipping.

I normaly play with 2 in most citites but anything up to 10 along borders (assuming I have that many units). However if Im desperate everything will be at the boder and maybe 2/3 defending units in the main bulk of the empire covering 20/30 cities :)

i use 3 units because i choose monarchy most of the time so i want those 3 extra happy faces from military police.

i guard all cities with 2 until i get a decent rail system, then only the border cities have 1 and all others none. i keep the extra troops in a place near my capital, ready to go anywhere in my empire

I always go monarchy or communism so i need the mp... 3 in all cities, outdated units in the core.

I think it's wisely to have, in peace time of course, the quantity of units that matches with the maximum or almost the maximum allowed in the current city or town or metropolis. (In peace time normally all players uses Democracy, so it's wise to put only one unit, so the maintenance don't become too high for things that aren't necessary)
If the player do not use Democracy, even in peace time, he must check the beneficts of having a good non-liberal goverment, for example the military police, that makes more easier to control citizens.

Nought until the first spearman is built, then one generally as I mostly play peaceful games. If I'm drawn into a war, I go up to three and might have even more depending on risk.

Just 1.

I keep an eye out for SoD's and AI's attitude. If that gets worrying I move in threatened cities some fast moving units, e.g. horsemen/knihgts etc.

If I go to war I usually have an attackforce which keeps the AI away from my cities.

In the later game, when there are fast moving units around I tend to build 2 defenders in border cities, helped by some canons or artillery. But I always have a reactional force of fast moving units.

I also build culture, to increase my territory around those cities. For earlier spotting and 'cultural defense'.

I usually go with 2 in each city, at war or peace.

Top Bottom