1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll on Firaxis.com

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Thunderfall, Dec 19, 2005.

1. GrendelS

GrendelS civ addict beyond remedy

answering the one feature request I'd need, how about having a game without bugs? ;-)

2. Mastiff_of_Ar

Mastiff_of_Ar In his Element

Huh... I did that in college! :crazyeye:

3. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

Just grab a shoe and whack the bugs. How hard is that?

4. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

You sat quietly on your behind trying to meditate on the voidness of the Void?

5. Sunwolf

Sunwolf Chieftain

Civs to add:
    Byzantine
    Carthage
    Dutch
    Holy Roman Empire
    Ottoman Empire
    Portuguese
    Vikings

Leaders:
    Thomas Jefferson
    Winston Churchill
    Pericles
    Vladimir Lenin

No specific unit suggestion

General suggestion: underwater resources and development

6. LauriL

LauriL prince

Somebody explain me what does that Holy Roman Empire mean? Does it mean the "western Rome" after rome had split up or what?

7. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

You could call it the predecessor of the German empire. It stretched from Germany to Italy, but the Italian members broke away. O yes, it was founded (more or less) after the Dark Age in Europe.

8. Siggy19

Siggy19 Warlord

It was kinda derived from Western Rome, but it was basically the first German empire around 1000AD (Frederick the Great founded it, I believe).

Basically Frederick stood his army outside the Vatican and offered the Pope the opportunity to annoint Frederick as Emperor in return for swearing fealty to the Pope. Since the Pope had a pretty good idea what the alternative was, he generously accepted Freddy's offer.

9. ExplodingFist

ExplodingFist Chieftain

With the limited experience I have so far, this is what I think Firaxis should focus on. I reserve the right to change my mind later when I know how you're really supposed to play this game. ;)

In order of decending priority...

• Bug fixes
    • Balance issues
    • User interface improvements
    • Setting the standards for a great strategy game SDK
    • Expand on great leaders and wonders
    • New civ leaders
    • Other new game features and content (including new civs, terrain, etc)

Balance
    About game balance, they should fix tech pace so getting a tech actually means something in the late game of standard maps. What's fun about tech inflation?

I'm sure there are other balance issues, but I am not experienced enough to confidently list any others just yet. However, balance has to be the first and most important area to focus on.

User interface and game control
    A lot of good suggestions have been made in the line of something like this: Give the player more control while eliminating unneccessary micro-management and make important events and information more accessible.

Units
    As far as new units, I would actually want to see one taken out - The Explorer. I might be missing something, but I just don't get it. What's the point with this unit really? I feel bad for the animation artist and whoever spent time to make it...

If a new unit should be added to the game it should be because of game balance reasons and in that case I would want to add a Siege Tower unit available maybe sometime between Catapult and Cannon. It would be used to help capture cities a little quicker. I think warfare just takes too long now to the point that it is kind of tedious/not as fun. Possibly war weariness or war cost could be scaled up to counter balance excessive and prolonged warmongering (if that would become an issue).

Promotions
    In the line of combat, several of the high level promotions in the promotion tree seem to be rarely used. Maybe I'm just not skilled enough to drill down it (I usually get 4 promotions/unit at the most). But it seems like a waste to have a deep promotion tree if parts of it is barely ever used. It is a core game balance issue though, so I guess changing the exp-cost for promotions might be a can of worms to play test. Promotions are fun though, so adding something here would be great as long as it does not come at the expense of balance.

Great people and Wonders (etc)
    Great people are just awsome and something I would like to see expanded on somehow - again, as long as it does not break game balance (hrm, is there an echo in here? :mischief: ). I really like wonders so seeing some more of that would be great. Building wonders are just fun and also blends well with expanding on great people. For instance, if a new type of great people/person would be added (ie for military/health/happiness/whatever), new wonders would probably be added with it. We might see the Great Wall back for that, who knows.

About other buildings and bonuses/terrain, I think it is similar to units. Adding new buildings to improve game balance only would be the best way to go I think. If a new regular building doesn't improve game play it is content and not as important to me at this point.

Civs and leaders
    About leaders, suggesting Stalin and Lenin and not Hitler, etc, is ... well, explainable but kind of rediculous. Heck, why not put in Robert Mugabe, Idi Amin and Pol Pot and all the other butchers of history too? It could add some interesting flavour to diplomacy. Other than that I really don't have much in the line of suggestions here except that it would be nice to see two leaders per civ to give more variations and thus feature the leader traits some more, which I really like. The leaders and their traits really make the civs come alive.

About new civs, it would be fun but it is not as important to me as some of the other things listed above. I regard them as content. The MOD community will take care of adding depth and replayability as long as the SDK is good. New civilizations, new terrain and bonuses, etc are things that have the potential to develop and improve over time.

Other game types
    I really don't have any experience with multiplayer games or scenarios so I have no suggestions here. It is not that important to me.

The bottom line
    It would be great if Firaxis focused first on what only they can do best, that is build a great core game that has excellent game balance, very few defects and a great SDK.

When they are done with that it would be great if they could also start adding improved game elements and more content. I would gladly pay for that kind of quality expansion, but only in due time.

10. mbx114

mbx114 Chieftain

My choices were:

Civs- Austria, Babylon, Byzantine, Carthage, Dutch, Korea, Mayan, Ottoman

Leaders- Ramesses, Pericles, Lenin, and Meiji (giving Japan a second)

Units- The trebuchet, baby.

Rules- Fixing diplomacy's biggest flaw: not being able to see the big picture (foreign advisor) before making a decision.

11. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

I'd like a military great person to aid the war effort, but not create old Civ3 armies.

If anyone said they wanted the polynesians I'll hang them by their scrawny neck. ;)

12. The Condor

The Condor On an excellent adventure

@Puglover Check out the mod in my sig if you are interested in Great Military Leaders :).

13. Mîtiu Ioan

Mîtiu Ioan Deity

My ( little ) suggestion - later religion to give additional benefits.
    For example :
    - christianity may give +1 health ( charity help in treating disease );
    - confucianism may give +1 public order ( happines ) in larger cities;
    - taoism may give a small science benefit in cities where is spread;
    - islam may give +1 exp. point for military units and so on.

I know that this may be somehow "political dangerous", but also I feel that this may increase a lot gameplay. :)

Regards,

P.S. : Excuse me my bad english ... :(

14. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

The explorer can be a cheap, mobile medic unit. Not the original intention, of course, but it has value.

15. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Just took the poll ... didn't really know what to answer though. To me, it absolutely doesn't matter which civilizations or leaders they add. These can be modded anyways. What I want from an expansion is a further refinement of the game engine, i.e. adding possibilities that don't exist yet. Things like a ZOC (I don't actually miss that one, but it's a good example for things that can't be implemented by modders).

And I want to play with an unlimited number of civs. No "18 civs limit" any more. No new "24 civs limit" please. Give us the freedom of choice. :)

16. ExplodingFist

ExplodingFist Chieftain

And the scout can not?

17. MeteorPunch

You're right - a scout can have medic.

18. Snackwell

Snackwell Chieftain

The feature change I suggested is a change in the way the game handles AI requests/demands. Especially early in the game when there are 10 or more civs, some with similar colors, it's hard to keep track of all the deals and relationships. When someone pops up and says "I demand you cancel your deals with X" and you don't remember what deals you have with X, that gets dangerous.

You should be able to delay your answer to the demand/request, open an advisor screen (tech, or foreign, depending) to look at the situation, *then* decide how to react.

Oh yeah and fixing the memory leak. ;-)

19. slothman

slothman Emperor

@Canada as a Civ
    Chemical Ali anyone?

Is Chemical Ali related to Mohammed Ali or the Chemical Brothers?

@Kaleb
    just need some TIME to write up mine

Just give them to me and I can writh them up.
    I like doing that sort of thing.
    Plus I can sneek my ideas in as well.

@JBearIt
    I'll admit that I did not vote for Babylon.

[don't ban me] Blasphemy. :D

@MattJek
    El Cid as an additional Spanish Leader

Wasn't he fake, i.e written in a book, or am I thinking of someone else?

@Steve2000
    Thank you for agreeing with me.
    I have been pushing this for a while with few people supporting it!

As I said I can help.
    Just give me your ideas.

@puglover
    If anyone said they wanted the polynesians I'll hang them by their scrawny neck. ;)

I only want it because it is more unique than the others.
    There aren't many in the south east quarter-sphere.
    Less water ones as well.

20. MeteorPunch

My vote for the one thing to fix was the red text in diplomacy. It's so annoying and unfun.