1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Resume format, which do you use?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GoodGame, Sep 29, 2011.

?

What Resume format do you use generally?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2011.
  1. Chronological Resume format

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Functional Resume format

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Hybrid (Chrono-Functional) Resume format

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Radioactive monkeys randomly type my resume; Downtown beats down the boss's door to deliver it

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  5. My unemployment might hurt Obama politically

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

A little informal poll for those of you who actually seek jobs and internships:

Resumes are those short pages that summarize your existence for prospective employers, listing your education, work history, and supposedly making you look competitive/non-competitive in the job market. There are three main formats for resume writing: chronological, functional, and "hybrid" which blends the chronological and functional format into one. Chronological resume format highlights your work history, and ideally shows continuity (no large unexplained gaps in employment) and career progression (you got regular promotions). Functional resume format highlights that you got skills, earned at a particular time and place, and would be good for the job or at least a taking "stretch" job that is a little outside your prior experience. Hybrid format just blends the two like half-and-half, usually emphasizing the functional background first, and listing chronology as an afterthought.

My question to the forum: What resume format do you use, and why?

2. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Mine is chronological, and most of the resumes/CVs I encounter in my IT travels are also chronological. I use it #1 because that's the way I was taught and #2 it does a good job of organizing my accomplishments and skills into a coherent format. Don't make the resume-reader have to think any more than necessary. ;)

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Right now, I am using fuctional format because I want my employers to not pay attention to my two year employment void and rather see mee as an asset to hire, not an encumbrance due to my lengthy unemployment.

I hate the way employers place in the section to add what jobs you were previously in a job application since it makes them more likely to discriminate against me based on my lengthy absence from a job.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

In the type of job I do experience is important and that is best portrayed with a chronological format

5. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

My resume follows a chronological format, though it's slowly (painfully slowly) morphing into an academic CV, which follows a somewhat different set of "rules".

If any of you like what I write and need an economist intern next summer, I take requests by PM. ;)

6. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

My resume is chronologic, but that is only because I have only ever worked one particular job type. I don't have to make it functional because it's functional by default. Other employments may differ. If you are in a career track where you may have variable job descriptions, it may be best to put the skills applicable to the job you're applying to first, and then either put others or omit them entirely. Prospective employers are only interested in skills you have that favor them, not all, so "padding" the resume doesn't usually do much good unless they are things that overall make you seem more competitive.

7. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I love the poll options :lol:

My resume is a mixture of both, I've only had two real jobs (and one of them was under the table) and being a student on an archaeological dig last year so I have some of what I did and work related skills emphasized on it.

8. Silurian

Silurian Deity

I have a CV

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Chronological

10. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Chronological, but possibly only because I have little to put on it XD

11. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

Chronological. Having a weird looking resume is a great way to get in the "no" pile.

12. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Chronological but I voted hybrid because I'm hot like that. I like the idea of a functional resume.

13. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Mostly chronological. I currently work two jobs, but one is only a few hours a week, even though it is the newer of the two, I put it below my older (but still current) job.

14. Silurian

Silurian Deity

It depends on the job you are going for.

If your Chronological CV does not show you progressing towards the roll you are applying for then it may not be the best way of presenting yourself. You could have relevant experience in a job, say 7 years ago, but not in more recent rolls. So someone reads your chronological CV and dumps it before they get to the relevant job.

15. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

Hybrid. Relevant financial experience in chronological order and detailed clearly. Irrelevant other experience lumped together in a few lines below that.

16. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

A thousand times this. I read over 200 resumes a day, and I'm going to delete the weirdo ones almost every time. I absolutely prefer Cronological ones at work.

That sounds like something you'd want to address in the cover letter.

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

What if it's a really good skills one? Or does it not make it past the filter to begin with?

Also, keep your resume one page for the love of all.

18. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

This, especially if you're a recent college grad.

I've seen a lot of college students with two-page resumes, of which exactly 0 required or needed them to be that length.

19. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Nah, that's a misnomer. You should only keep your resume at one page if you're a new worker. Most of this stuff is digital now, so the page limit isn't as big of a deal, and having a page and a half resume won't disqualify you at all. Your resume should have all the relevant info, and none of the filler. If you have a page and a half of relevant info, use it.

20. Silurian

Silurian Deity

The last time I was given CVs to look at I was not given any covering letters by the agency that forwarded them to me. I had enough time to read them completely but if I did not well.