poll: Science goals

What should our research goal be after Monarchy?

• Trade (Caravan/Marco Polos) requires Currency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philosophy (free tech) requires Writing, Literacy, and Mysticism

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Pottery (Hanging Gardens) no prerequisites

• Masonry (City Walls, Great Wall, Pyramids) no prerequisites

• Map Making (Triremes) no prerequisites

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Something else (be sure to post your idea below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leowind

Emperor
Voting in the general directions poll seems to have ceased. Trade took top spot, closely followed by straight path to Philosophy. No others were close. So now we are voting on what our next goal will be once we've discovered Monarchy:

Trade will require two techs: Currency (Marketplace) and Trade (Caravans and Marco Polo's). Philosophy will require 4 techs: Writing (Diplomats/Libraries), Literacy (Great Library), Mysticism (Oracle :rolleyes: ) and Philosophy. Trade was our top direction indicated, but delaying Philosophy could lose the free tech advantage to the AI. Also the Writing/Literacy path makes Republic available, Mysticism can lead to Astronomy (Copernicus' Observatory) and Philosophy can lead to Monotheism (Crusaders and Mike's Chapel). In addition to these goals, I've listed some techs that should be currently available we might want to consider as a priority. After this poll is closed we'll talk about alternative techs if our choices are not available.

Can someone in-the-know also add what "other" techs we may have to research in between these, due to the restrictions on research order?

I would have thought we are more likely to get a sideline tech on the road to philosophy than on the road to trade.

I for one say we have to get copernicus - if we lose 1 tech to philosophy, we can catch that up. Trade will greatly speed the tech race anyway.

In short, I think trade is more important that philosophy.

As far as I can work out, apart from those advances already mentioned we may also be offered Code of Laws (which we need for Literacy anyway), and Iron Working.

Hmm Philosophy would give us the better techs to research afterwards though with MC and Copernicus (Leowind said this came from the Philosophy route, yet Ainwood seems to think it becomes available from the trade route)

We are currently researching Code of Laws, after which we will research Monarchy. I didnt' include every tech that might be available to us, but tried to focus on the most likely that folks would want. But feel free to suggest others :)

Astronomy requires Mysticism and Mathematics. Mathematics would require us to research Masonry. (I have the tech tree right in front of me). I too think Cops Obs is vital, but Science did not score high on our general goals poll, so I did not include Astronomy as a goal this time around.

Originally posted by Dell19
Hmm Philosophy would give us the better techs to research afterwards though with MC and Copernicus (Leowind said this came from the Philosophy route, yet Ainwood seems to think it becomes available from the trade route)

Sorry if I implied that. What I was meaning was hurry to trade, then consider going straight to astronomy, instead of necessarily going to philosophy. Although the extra tech at philosophy might help on that route also. :)

The thing is that trade would give caravans for wonders to build them quicker plus other trade benefits with a boost in cash whereas Philosophy would give us the extra tech which could give us trade quicker. Perhaps Philosophy is more important as we could easily lose the tech advantage to the computer.

Map making is a tech that we should conisder as a one off if we cannot research a main tech as we need triremes.

Since I consider Mike's Chapel to be a high priority wonder, I am in favor of going for Philosophy (prereq to Monotheism) and using the free tech to pursue Trade as the next priority. After that, head for Astronomy (Copernicus). All my (limited) experience playing Civ2 tells me to (a) keep the citizens out of riot (dare we consider Hanging Gardens?), (b) max up the science while (c) building enough military/diplomats to deal with AI/barbs. I suppose I'm more perfectionist than militaristic...

Trade, and if can't then Writing then Philosophy. There are so many uses for Trade. And Diplomats. If we build many cities, we won't loose the lead to the AI.

If the AI is over the sea, then Mapping becomes the priority after Trade and Diplomats.

Hanging Gardens, Pottery, is more vital than either Astronomy or Philosophy - I'm not sure between those two. The nice thing about Philosophy is, Literacy also leads to Republic.

I think some have discussed but not voted :confused: At the moment Philosophy is leading by a healthy margin, so that is what I"m going to go with. I'll start a new thread to discuss alternative techs if what we want is not available.

Often the discussions are more worthwhile since people do change their opinions and opinions can be useful if the vote is close to decide the best course of action.

Originally posted by Dell19
Often the discussions are more worthwhile since people do change their opinions and opinions can be useful if the vote is close to decide the best course of action.
Very true, and I've often done that myself (at times to come back and find the poll closed before I could even vote :blush: ). But Civ-1 is playing tonight and I felt a tech queue beyond Monarchy needed to be in place just in case. I only have this morning, so needed to get it wrapped up. If the voting on the poll changes significantly we can change our goal. If the vote were close the discussions might have more weight. Actually they did anyway: see my post in the next turn thread :)

Dell19's suggestion of aquiring map making appeals to me. Monarchy comes first, of course, but we could use triremes immediately to explore and settle the nearby landmasses, which are likely unoccupied for the moment. Beachheads need to be established early.

Top Bottom