Poll: Score Victory/Unlimited Turns

Do you, more often than not, disable Score Victory?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SirWill90

Warlord
Title speaks for itself; do you prefer to play with Score Victory/Turn Limit disabled?

Of course, feel free to elaborate.

Last edited:
I never actually win (or lose) by score victory, but I still use the score value as a reference to how well I'm doing in comparison to the AI Civs. Just a habit from older Civ games. I know the score isn't that accurate for how well you are doing, but generally you can rest easy you won't lose the game if you have a higher score. If you disable score victory, you can no longer see your score.

I keep it on

Never won a score victory, game long over before I get close. Do they have a countdown warning you that the game is going to end like in previous Civ games?

If time victory sets in before anything else, I don't deserve to win so I keep it on.

Never won a score victory, but I actually do have one score loss. It was a game I would have won a turn 502 cultural victory. If other civs get eliminated (loss in tourists) and you're up against a strong culture civ (America, Kongo, Russia) the game can be somewhat stalemated. You also would need a lock with your spies where you have enough and they're upgraded enough that you can pillage spaceports easily.

Anyway even with that loss, I didn't really have a problem with score victory existing. Its just another small clock that makes the game a little less boring in the rare cases the game goes super deep. The turns after 500 aren't that exciting anyway so its not like you're ever losing much.

I always take score off. Annoying if I, or someone else wins just when its interesting, and the only reason is X turns.

I wish science victory took more to do and religious victory vs only AI is way to easy.
My first time winning via religion was when I was attacking everything. I wasn't going for religion but got it anyway because I took so many cities! (And of course bring my religion with perks in)

I wouldn't mind to see the UN victory from previous civs. That would fuels the diplomatic side and you would keep much better track on what everyone are doing....with others.

I've been playing the civilisation series since Civ2, for almost exactly 20 years now. In everyone one of those games I have won by every victory condition possible.

Except score. The end game has almost always been the most boring part of this series. The idea of pressing end turn 100 times just for the game to say I've won falls between watching paint dry and reading a 1970's Russian magnetohydrodynamics journal on the dullness scale, and only because I don't speak any Russian.

I remember losing by score once shortly after I had started playing Civ 5. Was playing around so much, and so inefficiently, constantly battling other Civs without really making too much progress that as some point, suddenly the game told me that I had lost. That was annoying.

I don't think score victory has ever been relevant to me since then.

I didn't even know turning off score victory was a thing.

Sometimes I will turn off every victory but score, just so I can feel like I have a game with no goal. It also works out because even with just score on you can still win domination(the VC screen just says "you have won because everybody else has lost") if you wipe out all of the other civs. Also it really doesn't matter for turning the time limit, you can still just "one more turn" even if time runs out. There is no HOF so it really doesn't matter if you can no longer "win".

The only time a game I ever played got to score victory was once in civ 5 when I was new. I was probably playing on a low difficulty, or else the AI would have won space or someting by itself. So I don't bother to turn it off because it's never relevant anyway.

I guess to make it interesting, you could set max turns to 200 or 175, and then score victory might be a "thing." But as is, it's the same as it was in Civ5 - unless you are playing at a really low difficulty level, score victories are probably the hardest to get and definitely the cheesiest because you are intentionally avoiding triggering another victory condition. More importantly, you need to prohibit the AI from hitting a victory condition, and on Deity level that's a lot of work - especially regarding space victories.

Top Bottom