Poll: Score Victory/Unlimited Turns

Do you, more often than not, disable Score Victory?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
i never got anywhere close to the default turn limit in any civ game before winning, so i don't bother turning it off.

The best way to win (not that I often achieve it), is to win a score victory: by preventing others from winning and "enjoying" the journey while postponing another victory condition until a suitable score is reached. A score of less than 2500 is ... disappointing (huge continents/wimpy Prince difficulty).

Once my 2500 goal is achieved I may allow myself to win via another victory condition or I may try to reach higher. My last game I actually ran out of time, though I had recently surpassed 2500 score.

I still maintain that the best victory requirements would be to get points (e.g. 300 or 500 each) for each of the current VC's, so that the winner would be the one with the most points, though the last civ standing could also win. Make it meaningful!

You could have won some other way if you're winning by score, so no.

Back in the old days of Civ 1, every victory was scored. How well you accomplished another victory condition added to the score (like conquering the world sooner, or sending more colonists to Alpha Centauri). There was something about seeing your civilization's major accomplishments summarized on a splash screen at the end that really tied the whole game together. In other words, your score was literally part of your civilization's narrative in a way that doesn't exist today.

I don't even know what gives me points now. But I do keep the score on anyway, mostly out of nostalgia. Which means I always keep the time "victory" opinion enabled.

Top Bottom