1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Should Workers and Archaeologists Traverse Mountains After Researching Ballistics?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Enginseer, Dec 26, 2018.

?

Title Name

Poll closed Jan 1, 2019.
  1. Yes.

32 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. No,

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. Either is fine.

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

You're confusing the problem really. They already do go over mountains without the modmod at Ballistic.

2. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

No. I remember enemies can use my road to pass mountain in my land as Inca, so I assume that road make moutain become passible.

3. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Oops ! I'am confusing what?

Nobody go over mountains without a modmod (but inca). Did I missed something?
    Only Worker Mountaineering (v 2) allows workers/archeos to get PROMOTION_WORKER_MOUNTAINEER at Dynamite

edit : A new recent VP feature ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  4. DonStill

DonStill Chieftain

Only if we can have coal and dig sites on mountains too.

Asterix Rage likes this.
  5. Enginseer

PROMOTION_ICE_BREAKER allowed workers/archaeologist to pass Ice (intended) and Mountains (unintended) for who even knows. Because of how it took so long to even report the bug, I'd have to say whenever or not it even needs fixing(since everyone has been playing under it just completely unaware of it). In fact, it's likely some people might have seen units over mountains and just thought it was some event promotion or something.

Not feasible unfortunately unlike you like more random CTDs.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Zarggg and TranceBlossom like this.
  6. intelli

intelli Chieftain

Always thought not being able to pass mountains in modern eras was daft, almost as if Switzerland isn't a real place.

Zarggg likes this.
  7. Enginseer

Workers can't build roads on non-allied territory(unless you're a master and they are a vassal)... Also you have to make enemy military traverse in your mountains or otherwise Incan cities on mountains would be impossible to capture.

Also OP updated with a voter's guide.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Zarggg, Asterix Rage and ryanmusante like this.
  8. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

That's not what I was meaning.

What I DON'T want:
    + Workers (and archeologists) are able to hide in mountains (without roads) in foreign lands, and cannot be captured by melee lands units because of the mountain.

What I agree with:
    + Workers (and archeologists) can never go on mountains (unless roads from Incas)
    + Or alternatively, workers (and archeologists) can go on OWNED mountains (past ballistics technology), and build roads to allow other units, allied or not, to go on the mountain.

9. toxyy

toxyy Chieftain

NO.... this is the whole point of choosing the Inca.

10. Enginseer

Zeppelin, Helicopters(to capture), field guns+ line, aircrafts can all easily destroy them.

Not to mention the AI aren't exactly trained to hide workers/archaeologist inside a mountain.

11. kkkitten

kkkitten Chieftain

Is AI trained to deal with ranged units on mountains, vs Inca for example?

12. Enginseer

Yes.

13. Zanteogo

Zanteogo Chieftain

This a dumb comparison. You litterly make it impossible to ever go to land masses without ocean crossing. I don’t even think the map generation allows for closed off land from mountains.

14. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Chieftain

Tribute to our mountains

15. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Oh? So you do think that a civ is not unique because it can do what others can't do during a long time. I guess England is not unique, either, even less than Polynesia, given that having spies is less necessary than traversing oceans. Please, note the sarcasm.

Zarggg likes this.
  16. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

Huh, today I learned...

And looking at the sql, seems that the ice breaker promotion and my worker mountaineering promotion both work from enabling the same column, CanMoveImpassable...

From a modder's perspective, I suppose making two separate columns for passing either ice or mountains makes sense? Or can this already be done via UnitPromotions_Terrains and UnitPromotions_Features?

Gameplay wise, I'm completely ok with workers traversing mountains in the late game. Incas still have the advantage of being able to do so for most of the game before everyone else.

Skidizzle likes this.
  17. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

1843, the first modern tunnel was built. Today, it's an afterthought. Even Elon Musk makes it look easy. So, there can't be an argument against its realism.

Zarggg likes this.
  18. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

There can, though a rather weak one: tunnels are easy to destroy with explosives, making them unpassable, which is why destroying tunnels (and bridges as well, for that matter) is always part of military strategy. If we allow tunnels for everyone it will 1) allow the defending civ to still use tunnels to move around in ways the enemy can't (except for their Survivalism III scouting units, I suppose). Additionally 2) it's not as easy as it is in the real world to prevent enemy units (Survivalism III scouts) from passing through tunnels, because you can't pillage your own stuff and using a worker to destroy/remove the tunnel takes more than one turn (at least on Epic speed) and 3) the enemy has it a lot harder to destroy tunnels than in the real world because in the game only Survivalism III scouts (and Helicopters, I guess) can enter onto the tile with the tunnel to pillage it, whereas in the real world any infantry unit could do it. This also means that 4) it's actually easier for the enemy to destroy your tunnels for tactical reasons than it is for you, because they can do it in 1 turn only through pillaging and can use highly mobile units to do it, while you have to send a worker and wait several turns until the tunnel is destroyed. I guess you could plan for this by using a worker to "unbuild" the tunnel up to 1 turn left in the process and then station a worker near there for readiness but it's still more effort than it is for the enemy.

ryanmusante likes this.
  19. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Chieftain

This is going to pass dudes. The funny thing is it was already there but we didn't even notice it.

Quite funny poll actually. Imagine Brexit. We decided to exit EU so here you are, now if you please vote if we should have done it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  20. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Scorched earth tactics were banned long ago for balance reasons, apparently AI was unable to use that properly.