Poll: Suggested Change to OCC (One City Challenge)

Do you agree with this change?

• Yes

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Leave a Comment)

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

Milae

Prince
Current OCC Mechanics: As soon as you capture any city it is instantly destroyed.

Suggested OCC Mechanics: You conquer the city like normal, and receive the normal city capture popup where you will only be allowed to raze the city, or Liberate the city if that's possible. Clicking Raze will instantly destroy the city.

Basically the change allows you to liberate cities in OCC which is currently impossible. As a side effect you will also get to 'own' the city until you click the popup so you would have one turn to upgrade troops in the city and steal their great works. Also this change allows the city razing in OCC to trigger any raze effects (such as Timurids UA).

I have already tried the change on mine so if you guys want it'll be easy to integrate it. Also I was going to leave it unchanged for CP only users.

Just let it raze the city normally. OCC gets nothing useful out of the city itself because its in resistance the entire time it's being razed. Without being allowed to annex it, there's nothing to do. This also allows the enemy to try to get the city back.

Last edited:
Current OCC Mechanics: As soon as you capture any city it is instantly destroyed.

Suggested OCC Mechanics: You conquer the city like normal, and receive the normal city capture popup where you will only be allowed to raze the city, or Liberate the city if that's possible. Clicking Raze will instantly destroy the city.

Basically the change allows you to liberate cities in OCC which is currently impossible. As a side effect you will also get to 'own' the city until you click the popup so you would have one turn to upgrade troops in the city and steal their great works. Also this change allows the city razing in OCC to trigger any raze effects (such as Timurids UA).

I have already tried the change on mine so if you guys want it'll be easy to integrate it. Also I was going to leave it unchanged for CP only users.

I would make it the same in CP only. It's more of a bugfix for a bad mechanic than a balance change IMO. Don't think this even needs a vote, just push to Github. I've been wanting this for a while.

Would be nice to change the button text to "Destroy" and change the tooltip to reflect the effects, OR as Rek suggests, just have it raze normally instead of be destroyed instantly (my vote).

Doesn't it temporarily raise your number of cities for techs, policies, tourism and needs unhappiness while the city is being razed?

Doesn't it temporarily raise your number of cities for techs, policies, tourism and needs unhappiness while the city is being razed?

Think that was fixed a while ago.

Think that was fixed a while ago.
Fixed? It's not a bug. It's a necessary feature to prevent an exploit. It was discussed when we removed the high-level watermark from the number of cities that count for tech costs etc.

Fixed? It's not a bug. It's a necessary feature to prevent an exploit. It was discussed when we removed the high-level watermark from the number of cities that count for tech costs etc.
What exploit?

Yeah this seems like a good idea, having to trek your units back to upgrade is a bit tedious

Just having OCC actually register a conquered city as being destroyed and triggering the relevant events is worth the change.

I vote yes but as recursive said it's a fix I hoped for rather than a balance change :) congrats if you made it work, as a frequent OCC player I look forward to it!

what's trickier to decide is what to do with conquered capitals and CS in OCC...

Maybe I'm confused.

I vote yes but as recursive said it's a fix I hoped for rather than a balance change :) congrats if you made it work, as a frequent OCC player I look forward to it!

what's trickier to decide is what to do with conquered capitals and CS in OCC...

I may do some work on this...

While you're at it, I'd like you to fix the behaviour of the assaulting melee unit dealing the last blow disappearing as well please, teleporting it to a nearby hex or some other workaround.

If nothing changed in the last year both the conquered city and the assaulting unit instantly disappear in OCC.

Works fine for me under patch before the current one (a month old I guess?) My rifle is just left sitting in the city ruins created.

Top Bottom