1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Poll) What civs should be a priority for alternate leader?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Krajzen, Feb 12, 2018.

?

What civs would you choose as next to get some additional leader? Choose up to 4

1. America

44 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. England

40 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. France

114 vote(s)
    63.3%
  4. Germany

55 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. Spain

34 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Rome

49 vote(s)
    27.2%
  7. Poland

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Netherlands

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Norway

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. Russia

55 vote(s)
    30.6%
  11. Egypt

87 vote(s)
    48.3%
  12. Arabia

20 vote(s)
    11.1%
  13. Persia

20 vote(s)
    11.1%
  14. China

83 vote(s)
    46.1%
  15. Korea

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  16. Japan

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  17. India

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  18. Khmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Indonesia

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  20. Other

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Quis

Quis Chieftain

France - Louis XIV
    Spain - Isabella I
    Russia - Catherine the Great
    Egypt - Amenhotep III or Ramesses II

TahamiTsunami and Vahnstad like this.
  2. Duckfromstatefarm

Duckfromstatefarm Warlord

Honestly I'll take any civ that gets a second leader, One of my picks was Arabia mainly for TSL purposes as Saladin is situated where Egypt is and it would be nice to have an alternate leader for Arabia that isn't where Egypt is. I also would love to see an Arab Queen as an Alternate leader for Arabia.

pgm123 likes this.
  3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

In order of personal priority:
    1. Persia
    2. Egypt
    3. China
    4. France

I'm prioritising millennia-spanning empires here. I like what they've done with Chandragupta/Gandhi, showcasing two very different time periods and focuses. Obviously you could argue that the Maurya, the Mughals, etc have enough going for them that they could be their own civ, and you'd be right, but realistically speaking we're not likely to see that outside of mods, so having multiple leaders represent different stages in Indian history is a good compromise.

The exact same thing should happen for Persia and China. I'd love to see a Safavid ruler showcase a highly cultural Persia, focused on Great Artist patronage. The Achaemenids were great and all, but the Civ series has had extreme tunnel vision with portraying the history of Iran. Similarly, a later Chinese emperor would be nice, perhaps with a legalism-inspired loyalty/governor ability to provide a different focus to Qin's Wonderlust.

Then I also voted for Egypt and France. While Cleopatra and Catherine de Medici are controversial choices, I don't have a problem with them as choices in particular. It just seems like a missed opportunity to have them as the sole representatives of their civs. This is particularly true for Egypt - it's a shame to only have a leader who comes form a dynasty of foreign conquerors at the very end of the Egypt kingdom's influence as an independent power. A more ancient Pharaonic leader is a priority from a historical perspective, and could easily have a unique focus.

Greywulf likes this.
  4. Sirimiri

Sirimiri Chieftain

France: Catherine de Medici was a controversial choice for multiple reasons, as both lesser known and not French per se. I'd like to see a leader with a more military focus, or a stronger cultural ability. This probably means Louis XIV or Napoleon

Spain: I'd love to see Isabella I again. It would represent a different stage in what we know as Spain, and the unification of Castille and Aragón, as well as the end of the Reconquista could make for interesting abilities.

Germany: While I appreciate the representation of the HRE, I'd like to see a leader from Prussia or earlier even.

China: With a very long history and influence, I'd like to see the return of Wu Zetian as a ruler from China's imperial age, and while not of the Tang dynasty as ruler, she comes from that time in which China became an established cultural force in East Asia. She would also be a great female ruler!

Greywulf likes this.
  5. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

It was a very hard choice to make, if I had to go with 4 civs, it would be these (by the way, I don't think India should be on the list since they already have 2 leaders) :

- China : with 4000 years of history, it would be a little sad to only have one ruler from the Qin dynasty. Many eras from China can be represented, and if I had to pick one, it would probably be either Wu Zetian (although her ruthlessness is very akin to Qin Shi Huangdi) or Yongle, to have a Ming emperor (and one from the first millenium).

- Rome : again, it is a huge empore with a very long history that is easily divided between the republic and the empire. Since we possess a leader from the imperial part, we should have one from the republic. Julius Caesar appears as an evident choice, but as a dark horse, I would love to see the dictator Marcus Furius Camillius, the second founder of Rome !

- Arabia : Arabia is Strange civ that encompasses more a bunch of people rather than an actual empire (Saladin himself governed the Ayyubid sultanate that governed Egypt to Syria and the Hejjaz). Technically speaking, Saladin should be the warrior leader of Arabia, but for some very obscure reason, Firaxis decided he's be the scientific one ... Thus, I'd go for either al-Malik (an umayyid ruler) for a builder that easily deals with loyalty problems, or for al-Mansur (an abbassid one), who was a ruthless man that defeated many rebels, persianized the court culture and ordered the construction of Bagdad. A third leader could be al-Ma'mum who embraced the mutazilism culture, which tried to rationalize the religious faith and brought great advances towards arab science and philosophy, and was one of the first "archeologist sovereigns" in history.

- Egypt : with such a long history, it's a shame to have the last egyptian ruler. I'd love to have as a leader either Hatshepsut, who be religious focus and trading Partner leader, Thutmosis III as a warmonger leader thirst of conquests, but also Akhenaten, who is one of the most memorable egyptian leaders with his religious reform.

6. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I voted in Egypt, France, China and Arabia.

Although I would like to get alternative leader for most civilizations.

Greywulf, Thormodr and nzcamel like this.
  7. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I voted France, Egypt, Russia and Japan.

On the latter two, right now we have a progressive Russia. We need to see a repressive Russia as well. Bring on Ivan IV.

For Japan, we have an amiable leader. We also need a xenophobic, isolationist leader. Bring on the Shogun, whichever feels most appropriate.

nzcamel and Thormodr like this.
  8. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Personally, I prefer new civs to multiple leaders per Civ. I don't know why, but multiple leaders just don't really do much for me.

9. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I did not vote for France, as we have plenty of European leaders already. Egypt and/or China are the next civs that seem like they could most use an alternate leader--in Egypt's case, perhaps with more military flavor (Senusret III/Thutmoses III/Rameses II), and for China, perhaps with a less worker-focused strategy and a more diplomacy or Great Person focused strategy (Kangxi).

10. conorbebe

conorbebe Prince

France should be the priority because Firaxis gave them a pretty terrible leader.

Egypt second because of their historical significance and I don't think Cleopatra does the civilisation justice.

My final choices were Germany and England but China and Russia are also reasonable choices.

iammaxhailme likes this.
  11. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

France - I thought Catherine was a very interesting choice and I'm not against it, but really, an actual King of France would be nice. Louis XIV is the obvious choice but he was actually a rather terrible king in many respects (you can trace the main causes of the French Revolution back to a lot of his short-sighted and self-glorifying decisions). Napoleon is the other obvious choice, but I'd like to see as little overlap between V and VI as possible leader-wise (obviously they have to have Gandhi because it's Civ he's basically a mascot at this point). Or they could always throw us a curve-ball and do Charles de Gaulle if they want to represent republican France. Of those three I'd probably vote for de Gaulle. And for gameplay reasons, France could really use a buff; de Gaulle would make a great military leader. (Catherine's leader ability is just not very good.) Just, please, PLEASE, NOT Joan of freaking Arc.

Rome - Julius Caesar. Need I say more? I was actually really happy with Trajan as a leader since it was a unique choice and totally appropriate. But I'd love to see their take on Julius Caesar I bet he'd be a really fun AI. Trajan represents the Pax Romana and the Empire, but Caesar could represent the Republic (well, barely) and Rome's justly famous martial prowess. Curveball leaders: Gaius Marius or Lucius Sulla.

Egypt - I love Cleopatra in this game, she's so saucy! But I agree that Egypt should really have an actual Egyptian ruler in their roster. There are so many relatively well-known choices they besides Ramesses II they could pick as well - Thutmose III, Senusret III (both military), Akhenaten (religion), even Hatshepsut (culture). Or if they wanted to represent early Egypt and wonder-building, Djoser or Khufu. Or if they wanted to go REALLY old-school, Narmer (though they may have trouble with that one given basically all we know about him comes from a single tablet). There's just so much history there to mine from it seems a shame not to mine it. Also Cleo is one of the less impressive rulers gameplay-wise.

China - Similar to Egypt, China has such a long history, why keep going back to that old mainstay, the frankly needlessly and hideously cruel and oppressive cultural vandal Shi Huang-di? He's one of those rulers I actually feel kind of dirty playing as just because he was such a monster (and speaking of which, for the love of all that's holy, NOT MAO). Again so many choices here... Qianlong, Ming Chengzu, Song Taizu, Kangxi, Tang Taizong, Wen of Sui, Wu of Han... I suppose they could always do Kublai as well; yes he was Mongol not Chinese, but he perfectly represents the tendency of Chinese culture to absorb its conquerers, and he's famous in the west because of Marco Polo.

Greywulf likes this.
  12. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

I'd love to see Catherine the Great for Russia or Queen Isabella for Spain.

Sirimiri and ChocolateShake like this.
  13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

France - Louis XIV, come on. Let's have a leader who synergizes with the rest of the uniques well
    Egypt - I'd like to see an ancient Pharaoh. It doesn't have to be Ramses II, Ahkenaten would be preferable, in order to synergize with the Sphinx
    Arabia - Now that religion and science are represented, I'd like to see an economic Arabia again
    Norway - I'd like to see a leader who can synergize with the Stave Church. Olaf, maybe

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  14. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I suppose he captures the pompousness of France *shudder*

:lol:
    You are a bad wolf! I bet you vote yourself to represent the sheep too! :p

15. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

I'd say France because Catherine feels like such a weird leader for them still

Also Germany and Russia because a leader from a different era could depict the civ in a vastly different way

16. Phrozen

Phrozen King

Chose France, Egypt, Spain, and Norway. France and Egypt due to week leader choices. Spain and Norway due to the civs being weak and needing a boost.

France: Philip Augustus, a more loyalty focused leader with some warring.
    Egypt: Djoser, great person focused Egypt.
    Spain: Alfonso X, culture and science focused Spain or Isabella extra era points for discovery.
    Norway: Haakon IV focused on peaceful expansion through loyalty flip or outright buying cities.

Olleus likes this.
  17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

France: We need Louis XIV.
    Russia: Vladimir Lenin for a different time period otherwise Catherine. :mischief:
    Germany: Bismarck or another modern leader though nothing after WW1. :p
    Egypt: Akhenaten or any other ancient male pharaoh.

18. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Russia, Germany, Norway, and Japan. Completely forgot about Rome.

19. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

You should have made it 5 because at the very last minute I reminded myself of France and how they needed Louis XIV and/or Napoleon

Anyway my top 4:
    1. England - There should be a pre-Union alternate because England under Vicky is more reflective of Britain than England in general. I propose Henry V.
    2. Germany - Federick the Great would be a great military-culture focused leader. Frederick Barbarossa's unique abilities are a bit boring to say the least.
    3. China - There should be leaders from other dynasties, like Qianlong from the Qing or the Yongle Emperor from the Ming. Heck bring back Wu Zetian.
    4. Japan - Seems kinda odd that we'd have an ability called the Meiji restoration without a Meiji Emperor.

Greywulf and Sirimiri like this.
  20. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Ooh, shots fired.

But I mean he was a formidable human being who refused to surrender to Nazi tyranny.

:mischief:

nzcamel likes this.