1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(Poll) What civs should be a priority for alternate leader?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Krajzen, Feb 12, 2018.

?

What civs would you choose as next to get some additional leader? Choose up to 4

1. America

44 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. England

40 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. France

114 vote(s)
    63.3%
  4. Germany

55 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. Spain

34 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Rome

49 vote(s)
    27.2%
  7. Poland

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Netherlands

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Norway

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. Russia

55 vote(s)
    30.6%
  11. Egypt

87 vote(s)
    48.3%
  12. Arabia

20 vote(s)
    11.1%
  13. Persia

20 vote(s)
    11.1%
  14. China

83 vote(s)
    46.1%
  15. Korea

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  16. Japan

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  17. India

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  18. Khmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Indonesia

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  20. Other

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Russia, China, Egypt and Germany.

Russia mostly because I want to see Catherine again, hopefully in her Civ 4/5 look ;)

China has such a long history, it would be nice to have a leader that reflected another aspect of their civilization.

Egypt because I'd like to see Hatshepsut again. I think she's underrated in terms of how much she did, and I'd like to see her model in 6. Cleopatra is good, but she doesn't really strongly complement the wonder-building nature of Egypt that I like.

Germany because I'd like to see another aspect of their culture highlighted. Having someone other than Barbarossa to deal with every once in a while would be nice.

Mostly selfish reasons overall ;) Other strong candidates I think would be France and the USA. Just to see how they could implement them differently.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    TahamiTsunami and Greywulf like this.
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

china, rome, egypt.

egypt, for one, has been around for 5000+ years. they should get another representative long before one of these young upstarts like france. ;)

3. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Patna was a city for Gandhi. Also, it went under the name Pataliputra for Chandragupta in his day, but still goes with Patna here.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  4. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Oh, sorry for the minor thread necromancy but I just thought of a good one for France that's not Louis XIV or Napoleon - what about Philippe II / Philip Augustus? Undoubtedly one of the greatest French kings, and has a cool name too. If you're unfamiliar with him, in short he essentially reconquered half of France (which through various means had fallen under English domination) which made him by far the most powerful French king probably since Charlemagne (who died 400 years earlier). Plus he was played by a young Timothy Dalton alongside Peter O'Toole's Henry II, Katherine Hepburn's Eleanor of Aquitaine and Anthony Hopkins' Richard the Lionheart. (If you've never seen "The Lion in Winter" I highly recommend it.) Frankly he's such a great choice I'd be disappointed if they picked Louis XIV (so overrated) over him.

Thormodr and Krajzen like this.
  5. Tacgnol

Tacgnol Warlord

France - Napoleon or, even Louis XIV would be pretty different
    Germany - a Prussian ruler, Frederick the Great or Bismark, would represent an entirely different historical period in German history, plus they are always fun
    China - 2000 years of history to work from, could have a lot of different options, Mao, or some kind of female ruler, I don't know anything about Chinese history besides Dynasty Warriors, Cao Cao would be pretty cool
    Russia - Stalin pls. pls Stalin. not sure who else they would have. Stalin tho. Never really liked Russia as a religious civ, they should be more expanionist. or Stalinist.

6. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Warlord

Catherine the Great?

7. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Somebody who didn't kill 20 000 000 of his own people for no reason

Besides:
    Alexander I
    Catherine the Great
    Elizaveta Petrovna
    Ivan IV
    Ivan III the Great
    several others

Russia has a lot of great leaders

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  8. isau

isau Deity

My top contenders:
    • Spain, because Civ without Isabella is strange
    • Russia, because Civ without Catherine the Great is also strange
    • France, because Napoleon or Louis...

Detecting a trend yet... ? :)

But of those on the list, Catherine and Isabella are the two that I miss most from previous games.

9. Xefjord

Xefjord Warlord

Main thing for me is a second leader for China, I could care less for second leaders for the other countries, but when I play on the Giant Earth Map (And I like to play with all Civs) then having more European second leaders will just make Europe even more unnecessarily crowded than it needs to be. On the other hand, while India struggled to fill out its continent before it is now able to do so much better having two leaders and China suffers the same issue. China only ever seems to expand out among northern China or western china (Because of its position in Xi'an) and having a alternate Chinese leader closer to the East Coast would help offset that issue (As well as helping China fill out its historical borders and be as influential as it was in history)

10. Sinchi Wayra

Sinchi Wayra Chieftain

I really like this analysis. It seems to match the civs that have been released. I just wanted to expand your ideas a little further.

First and foremost:

Indonesia: the current iteration in game is Gitarja's Java-based Majapahit, but before that, the archipelago was dominated by Srivijaya on Sumatra. Back before the Southeast Asia DLC was released and we had only heard of "one civ but two leaders", my favorite theory was that Indonesia would have a leader from each of these empires.

Persia: as many before me have mentioned, Persia has a long and interesting history far beyond the Achaemenids. I generally think of Persian history in three phases: the Achaemenids, Sassanids, and the Safavids, and I can think of good leaders for each of the second two periods who brought Persia back to the heights of empire.

Japan: Japan has always been represented by a leader from its feudal age, and not without reason. Nevertheless, feudalism was but a piece of Japanese history, and it would be fun to explore other eras. Of course, the eras after feudal times are too raw and recent to include in the game beyond the electronics factory and Meiji Restoration. But if you looked before feudalism, more options appear. My personal alternative leader would have to be Himiko, the first Japanese person recorded in history and a ruling shaman woman, from the Yamato period.

11. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Wait...You actually want Mao for China?

12. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

Despite there being virtually no chance of it, I want to see Nero for Rome.

13. Winged Hussar

Winged Hussar Warlord

I always liked an aggressive Russia in civ games. Would love to see Ivan the Terrible (aka Ivan the Fearsome) as the Russian leader, or at the very least have Catherine back.

My other preferences deal with the fact that certain capitals are too close to each other on earth maps of most playable scales.

Aachen is too close to Amsterdam, so I wish there was a different leader for Germany who ruled after Aachen seized to be the de facto capital of the Holy Roman Empire, or at least have Frederick the Great or Bismarck back. Also, since Cairo is way too close the Cleopatra's capital, a different Arabian leader would be awesome.

14. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I think China and Egypt by virtue of their immensely long historical timeslan deserve a second leader the most. We don't need more European leaders for now. Ivan the Terrible would be a decent Russian choice for Civ VII maybe. He was as much admired as he was feared/reviled for his later insanity (apparently his early reign was very successful however).

15. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

France without a doubt. Napoleon needs to return.

16. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

But why? He's always been dull in Civ. :|

17. Olleus

Olleus Deity

All up for France as top priority, but I don't think Louis IV would be a good choice (too close to Catherine era wise). Napoleon could work, but he's already kind of represented with the Imperial Guard, and I don't think we need another military inclined civ; not to mention that it would simply clash with Frances UI and UA. Germany is also another civ that could do with another leader which brings up the interesting possibility of...

Philip Auguste - First King of France (the others were king of the Franks)
    UA: Royal Lands. Foreign cities suffer double loyalty pressure from his cities (cap is also doubled to 40).
    One of his greatest achievement is the expansion of the Royal Demesne not only through war, but by bringing unruly nobles under his control and by making his neighbours empire fall apart (case in point, Avegin Empire).
    General tactic when playing France as him is flexible, which is what France should be. No particular bonus in the early game, but getting a golden classical/medieval age opens the door for lots of peaceful expansion. At the very least, you'll have some breathing space as nobody will try to forward settle you. You can then use chateaus and wonders to work towards a culture victory, or use the Guarde to push for conquest (golden industrial age + capturing a capital would make most of an empire collapse very quickly).

18. luigilime

luigilime Prince

This is what I would love to happen:
    Louis XIV for France and capital Versailles.
    Frederick the great for Germany and capital Königsberg
    Otto Von Bismarck for Germany and capital Berlin
    Rameses II for Egypt and capital Thebes
    Ivan the terrible for Russia and capital Moscow
    Wu Zetian for China and Capital Beijing
    A Qing emperor for China and capital Nanjing
    Washington for America and capital Philadelphia
    Arun Al Rashid for Arabia and capital Damascus
    Abu Bakr for Arabia and capital Mecca

Other leaders I would like but don't have a different capital choice:
    Elizabeth I for England ( capital could be Southampton or Liverpool since they were the main harbours from which her explorers set off for the new world)
    Napoleon for France (capital could be Marseilles since it was where he lived before the revolution and since the Marseillaise is the anthem of France and the revolution is certainly connected to the city)

19. magha77

magha77 Warlord

Clearly Napolean needs to be in the game. A different leader for Egypt as well. Don’t care for Teddy, would prefer Washington, Lincoln or Eisenhower. Lincoln would be particularly cool with winning back cities that defected for loyalty issues or even to have benefits during a dark age. For Persia, a non-acheamenid Shah of a different dynasty would be great but would be happy with Darius. He could have ULA of also keeping all cities loyal given his administrative traits.

20. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

America. Washington, please.