1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: What game speed do you usually choose?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Yaviel, Nov 7, 2019.

?

What game speed do you usually choose?

1. Quick

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Normal

48 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Epic

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. Marathon

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Yaviel

Yaviel Chieftain

Go vote!

2. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Standard for serious strategy games.
    Marathon for fun RP games.

3. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

Epic for everything else in between.

Ziad and vyyt like this.
  4. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

Epic. Standard speed is just too fast and many times AIs upgrades their units mid war putting you in a very challenging (unfair ?) situation. Emperor difficulty and up though.

bigcat88 likes this.
  5. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

What speed do I prefer? Epic
    What speed do I usually choose? Standard (because no way I have the time to finish an Epic game before the next update)

(And I use Quick speed to test mods)

Yaviel likes this.
  6. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

Very relatable!

Yaviel likes this.
  7. Earf

Earf Chieftain

Epic, but I almost never finish a game. I always end when I'm far ahead, or where I've conquered too many cities and can't expand anymore, or it gets late in the game where turns take too long to process, or I've already accomplished my own mini-goal/victory condition. Then I just start a new game and go on the war-path once more.

4CV and Zanteogo like this.
  8. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

Epic. Any faster then your outdate units too fast. It's nice to be able to start and finish wars with the same type of units.

9. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

Epic, for one reason: In my opinion, unstacked units causes tactical movements and war in general to be very slow. I want lightning wars to be possible. Having my units march off for a campaign and come home to a completely new era is immersion breaking. And there should be incentive to keep a standing army rather than building one during after war breaks out. Slowing down everything else per turn while movement per turn stays the same is, in effect, making movement speed faster relative to everything else.

On the other hand, it disturbs the balance of goody huts and first encounters. Building a new scout is a riskier investment because more huts will be grabbed during the build time, and likewise losing your initial scout is a greater setback. I'm also not sure whether the yield quantities are adjusted for game speed. But I don't think goody huts are meant to be balanced or any more than a minor part of the game.

10. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

Only epic. Don't want to see my armies one tech behind, when enemy is not a neighbour.

11. Coffee Monopoly

Coffee Monopoly Warlord

Only ever epic. Never played any other speed, never will. It's perfect. The way it's meant to be played. Totally not sponsored by Nvidia.

You bring up a good point, but draw the wrong conclusion. I almost never build a 2nd pathfinder, and losing my starting one is an instant savescum. I'd still say the number of ruins I get per game is pretty consistent at 3-4 (more if islandy map). So the opening build order of standard is certainly different from epic, and I've also seen many people who play with ruins disabled by default to take the RNG out of the early game. Overall, I'd say standard speed WITH ruins brings the worst and most inconsistent early game out of the 3 popular options.

vyyt and cammcken like this.
  12. Randomized

Randomized Chieftain

I have only played standard with this mod. I've considered trying epic, but as it is I rarely finish games because I get the urge to try a new civ/strategy/synergy. So on epic I'd probably never get any games finished.

13. anl93

anl93 Chieftain

People without time because of the work play on normal speed.
    So...
    as expected.

14. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Marathon. I like to spend some time in each era.
    It makes conquest too easy, and I suspect not everything (especially on time yields) is already scaled correctly, but you cant have everything.

15. TranceBlossom

TranceBlossom Warlord

Standard because I barely have free time even for games at that speed, but seeing everyone saying Epic makes me want to give it a try.