Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gallic Warrior

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Oromo Warrior

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

Tephros

Caffeine Junkie
So I searched and did not find a thread exactly like this, at least not for BtS.

Which unit is the best? Note that I don't mean the one you like the most because it's the coolest, but rather how potent or powerful it can be in the game. It doesn't have to hinge on versatility, but that's one possible criteria.

Also note that there are 34 civs in BtS, and only 25 poll options possible. So I had to exclude 9. You can argue that my exclusions are arbitrary and say those units are the best in the thread if you like:

Spoiler :
Naval UU:
Excludes: East Indiaman or Carrack.
Reason: They're difficult to compare to the other units.

Non-military UU:
Excludes: Fast Worker.
Reason: Difficult to compare to other units. Else this would be my pick.

Reduced base strength UU:
Excludes: Dog Soldier, Jaguar, Numidian Cavalry.
Reason: Reduced base strength doesn't necessarily make them bottom-tier units, but it certainly excludes them from being the best, IMO.

Specific explanation for dog soldiers: While they're better than axes against other melee, their reduced strength makes them much worse for attacking cities, which means you are at a major disadvantage without iron for pre-mace warfare, and a potential disadvantage even with iron unless you catch a neighbor without metal.

Specific explanation for jaguar: Resourceless and cheaper, but barely better than axes for attacking cities and worse than swords. Being stronger in forests is not useless, but there will be few forests later, you only need a few medics. In their era swordsmen are mostly for attack, and the jaguar is a bit worse than the original here even if you enjoy sac'ing units.

UU's that are only slightly advantageous over regular version and/or in unusual situations:
Excludes: Panzer, Ballista Elephant, Musketeer
Reason: Tank v. tank or modern armor is unusual combined with late-game unit; ivory requirement combined with situational use; extra movement not especially useful for this unit.

Those in the poll are in no particular order.

It'll be interesting to see how this poll goes.

I have to say I quite like Musketeers. With their extra move and ability to gain defensive bonuses they make for great pillaging units. Try playing as France, bee-lining for Gunpowder, wrecking your opponents economy and then destroying them completely with riflemen or infantry when they are stuck with Musketmen at best.

I voted Praet which was a head decision but my heart lies with either Berserkers (I love just dumping them onto costal cities, razing and leaving the conquering unit to face up to the revenge stack and heading straight to Vahalla) or Janisseries (they just deal with everything).

I expect Praetorians to win this by a healthy margin. I would have picked them, but honestly it's been so long since I played as Rome that I don't have much experience with them. I picked Immortals because I've used them more often and more recently as Darius, and they're certainly a scary and effective UU in the early game.

It'll be interesting to see how this poll goes.

I have to say I quite like Musketeers. With their extra move and ability to gain defensive bonuses they make for great pillaging units. Try playing as France, bee-lining for Gunpowder, wrecking your opponents economy and then destroying them completely with riflemen or infantry when they are stuck with Musketmen at best.

Yeah I had a lot of trouble figuring out which units to exclude. I love the fast worker and east indiaman, but they fit under reasonably clean criteria of exclusion. I could have titled the thread: Which is the best land-based military UU... but then I had to figure out more to exclude.

I had trouble deciding between Holkan, Keshik, and Musketeer for the final one to exclude. Bias here is inevitable. I personally don't like wars of attrition unless it's really early in the game and the person attacking me isn't near enough to be worth keeping their cities. For that situation Keshik can be good, but that would be before musketeers. By the time I have musketeers, I intend to keep what I kill, and pillaging their improvements is counterproductive if I want to take over their empire unless I feel not pillaging would cause me to lose the war or a large number of units. So targetting pillaging of metals/horses/ivory might make sense, but knights are a threat to musketeers unless the musketeer is in the forest.

I voted Praet which was a head decision but my heart lies with either Berserkers (I love just dumping them onto costal cities, razing and leaving the conquering unit to face up to the revenge stack and heading straight to Vahalla) or Janisseries (they just deal with everything).

Berserkers would be the obvious choice for archipelago maps. I can see making an argument for them in general too. The 10% towards city attack alone would make berserkers middle-of-the-pack. The amphibious promotion has a rest-of-the-game effect, and later in the game you can take a city pretty much every turn or every other turn when you have destroyers/battleships to take down defenses, air support to whittle down defenders, and your city raider amphibious troops upgraded from berserkers taking turns attacking.

Keshik. They're in league with praetorians and better on faster speeds. They're the only unit in the entire game that can gain first strike immunity while having a first strike themselves. They come well-promoted (as do all HAs) and are a serious threat to lay devastation to target cities up until pikemen (though they'll still win that in #'s). Cutting through all terrain, roundly dominating troops of their era, they're likely the single greatest unit in the game, or at least in league with praetorians and therefore situationally better.

Edit: You do not pillage with keshiks! You take cities rapidly! I used Mongolia in the immortal/epic large map G major. So many cities...

Honorable mentions:

Praetorian (of course), Immortal, War Chariot, Janissary (gunpowder can be had early, and these things can DOMINATE), Vulture, Hwacha, JAGUAR (omitted).

Why the jag? Your description omits something that makes this unit spectacular: free combat AND woodsman. This unit is, hands down, the easiest unit in the entire game to use for a woodsman III medic III super healer. Woodsman III is faster than medic I too, and is readily available to jags. Swords are very frequently sub-optimal attackers anyway (opponent would need to lack metal to make them truly effective), making the marginal disadvantage from attacking with them less painful.

Numidian Cavalry are much stronger vs their counter unit than normal too.

Keshik. They're in league with praetorians and better on faster speeds.

Well my bias would explain that then. I do vary my games in most ways, but I do play almost exclusivley on huge maps with marathon speed, with a preference for fractal and unrestricted leaders with other options random. :)

They're the only unit in the entire game that can gain first strike immunity while having a first strike themselves.

Unlike horse archers, they don't start with first strike immunity, but I'm assuming you're probably promoting them to flanking II anyway. First strikes are inferior to combat promos unless the strength of your unit dwarfs that of your foe, i.e. first strikes are, in part, anti-zerg protection. When talking about archers in a city, your first strike is not going to be better than, say, an extra combat promotion.

They come well-promoted (as do all HAs) and are a serious threat to lay devastation to target cities up until pikemen (though they'll still win that in #'s).

Any unit wins in numbers. If your opponent has many spears or walls you're going to pay a serious price. You can't bring siege along without negating the mobility benefits. If you have a serious espionage benefit you can use spies to eliminate defenses, but at high cost again.

Cutting through all terrain, roundly dominating troops of their era, they're likely the single greatest unit in the game, or at least in league with praetorians and therefore situationally better.

Maybe if they weren't totally destroyed by spears and elephants I'd agree...

Why the jag? Your description omits something that makes this unit spectacular: free combat AND woodsman.

I didn't omit the woodsman part in the spoiler, but the combat part is due to traits, not from the unit itself. Even with combat its ability to take cities is inferior.

This unit is, hands down, the easiest unit in the entire game to use for a woodsman III medic III super healer. Woodsman III is faster than medic I too, and is readily available to jags.

I generally use my first warrior or two to get woodsman III, first by scouting and then fortified on a forested hill. Plus I think supermedics (medic III and woodsman III) are normally overkill for healing.

Swords are very frequently sub-optimal attackers anyway (opponent would need to lack metal to make them truly effective), making the marginal disadvantage from attacking with them less painful.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest jags are the worst, but definitely not the best. I'd put them close to the middle.

But we're, in part, comparing units to the regular version. You and I agree that war elephants are great, but that ballista elephants don't add much to them and so make a crappy UU. In contrast, swordsmen are not so great, but when it comes to attacking cities, jaguars do not add much and actually are worse. Unlike Ballista, they at least fill another niche: faster superhealers. But I find that if I ever need a superhealer, it's not in the early game as overexpansion is a greater threat in the early game. And forests aren't very widespread later in the game.

Numidian Cavalry are much stronger vs their counter unit than normal too.

I normally use horse archers as a hit-and-run unit versus cities when catapults don't make as much sense, but I don't use them for this when spears or elephants are in the city. Example city would be a single city garrison III archer on a hill. No collateral to cause, so catapult doesn't make sense. I want to keep my best city raiders alive, and nobody else has a better than 50% chance of winning. But the horse archer has a 50% chance of withdrawing on top of a small chance of winning.

Again: Not the worst, not the best. And I was looking for simple, if somewhat arbitrary, criteria for exclusion.

Hello.

My first post. I've played about 15 games (normal speed, normally win on noble now). Always play as England. Therefore I voted for Redcoats. I like to get city attack macemen, then upgrade to redcoats for a war.

I'm also not a fan of early wars.

der

I think Babylon's Bowman would have been a good candidate for omission. It's a perfectly good unit, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that having good archers is a game-breaker (Mali's Skirmishers are kind of in the same category, but maybe slightly better because at 4 str I suppose they could be used for a resourceless early rush if needed). I doubt anyone would miss Gallic Warriors from the list either, since they're just plain swordsmen with Guerilla I (I guess if you played a lot of Highlands maps...), or Navy SEALs, since like Panzers they're pretty irrelevant. I don't have a problem with any of the ones you chose to omit, though.

Poll's going about how I expected so far.

Hello.

My first post. I've played about 15 games (normal speed, normally win on noble now). Always play as England. Therefore I voted for Redcoats. I like to get city attack macemen, then upgrade to redcoats for a war.

I'm also not a fan of early wars.

der

Welcome to civfanatics, PowerOfScience! :banana:

Redcoats are very dangerous. In the hands of Churchill, they will start with Drill 1 and City Garrison 1 too since he is Protective.

I voted for Oromo Warriors. Call me crazy but I think starting with Drill II is a great way to get Drill IV quickly and this can be a big advantage.

I have to say Immortals. You can get them very early, they're strong against most early units, and they move fast. I play on normal speed so the extra movement speed is very valuable. Oh, I almost forgot, they're dirt cheap too.

I'm sure Praets will win, but I voted Quechua.

On Monarch, it almost guaruntees grabbing a neighbours Capital (or two) without the need to beeline Bronze Working and then relying on nearby Copper. This allows me to focus on early shiny Wonders, just make sure you get horses before barb axe's pay a visit!

Well my bias would explain that then. I do vary my games in most ways, but I do play almost exclusivley on huge maps with marathon speed, with a preference for fractal and unrestricted leaders with other options random. :)

Marathon is a completely different game, although it shouldn't bend these UUs TOO much, the utility of a 2 move unit is far less important on a speed where units are produce the slowest, but at a major discount.

Unlike horse archers, they don't start with first strike immunity, but I'm assuming you're probably promoting them to flanking II anyway. First strikes are inferior to combat promos unless the strength of your unit dwarfs that of your foe, i.e. first strikes are, in part, anti-zerg protection. When talking about archers in a city, your first strike is not going to be better than, say, an extra combat promotion.

Some get flanking II (first ones to hit), the rest usually go down the combat line. The first strike, however, isn't something you're really paying for. It makes a big difference over time because of the increased damage each keshik does. These units rely heavily on withdraws, and it's going to take fewer of them with that first strike.

Any unit wins in numbers. If your opponent has many spears or walls you're going to pay a serious price. You can't bring siege along without negating the mobility benefits. If you have a serious espionage benefit you can use spies to eliminate defenses, but at high cost again.

If we're talking a human vs human match, I can see this being a more legit argument (then again, prats get smacked down by cats/axes too...). The AI doesn't exactly mass spears, even in the face of mounted. You're way overestimating the costs though. Your survival rate will never be worse than 50%. During the early stages of the keshik window, it will frequently be much higher. For troop counts in cities below 4 or so, it's not even clear whether withdraw keshiks are truly inferior to catapults. They damage the target units with a very tolerable survival rate, then heal.

Maybe if they weren't totally destroyed by spears and elephants I'd agree...

Elephants are a bigger problem than spears. Flanking II and then shock guys in succession handle spears with decently minor losses. Elephants are a serious problem. However, that's not unique to keshiks. Shock elephants beat praetorians, too. Elephants are a "second UU" for all civs (except crappy UU for khmer).

But we're, in part, comparing units to the regular version. You and I agree that war elephants are great, but that ballista elephants don't add much to them and so make a crappy UU. In contrast, swordsmen are not so great, but when it comes to attacking cities, jaguars do not add much and actually are worse. Unlike Ballista, they at least fill another niche: faster superhealers. But I find that if I ever need a superhealer, it's not in the early game as overexpansion is a greater threat in the early game. And forests aren't very widespread later in the game.

We're going to have to disagree here. There's no such thing as "overexpansion". If you can get more cities at a decent hammer return and avoid strike, it's a good idea to do it. On marathon games, some combination of cottages, resource trades, tech extortion, and possibly building research or wealth as needed can get you well into the double digits in cities in the BCs or early ADs, even on immortal. This is actually still doable on epic on immortal, but marathon makes it pretty easy.

I normally use horse archers as a hit-and-run unit versus cities when catapults don't make as much sense, but I don't use them for this when spears or elephants are in the city. Example city would be a single city garrison III archer on a hill. No collateral to cause, so catapult doesn't make sense. I want to keep my best city raiders alive, and nobody else has a better than 50% chance of winning. But the horse archer has a 50% chance of withdrawing on top of a small chance of winning.

IMO this is way too narrow a scope for a dominating unit even in its stock, non-UU form.

This was only at emperor, but it's marathon as you prefer:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301440&page=2

Very little about that map favored a horse archer charge though. First of all, I was holy rome, opting to attack prior to the usage of my UU or UB. Second, the targets were, in order:

1. Shaka with metal.
2. Boudica with metal.
3. Isabella with metal (finally an easy one).
4. Montezuma with metal. And longbows.

Don't forget:

- Horse Archers cost the same hammers as cats. When attacking cities with <5 troops, very frequently you can STILL save hammers outright by slamming flanking guys into it instead of losing cats (damaged, withdrawn mounted heals). Depends on composition of defenders, but spears are less common than archers.

- Horse Archers come earlier than elephants, so you can cut down an elephant civ if need be before they're a problem. I strongly suggest doing so no matter which of these early UUs you want to make use of.

- Horse archers hold a major promotion advantage over all other classical troops except elephants until feudalism or theology. Shock HA's and especially keshiks can easily beat a spear even if it's only been bumped to 3.0 strength, and that's very typical after a withdraw

- The two moves. This is a hidden benefit. Nobody talks about it or even gives it a passing mention typically. If you're going to compare attacking a city with keshiks/HAs to attacking it with any of these other UUs other than war chariots and immortals, you can't give each equal defenders. It isn't realistic. The praetorians will see AT LEAST 2 extra garrison troops per city they attack, frequently more especially on faster speeds. The AI has an extra turn to whip, more turns to shuffle defenders it produces into the city you're attacking, and more turns to just produce units. Even if the raw hammer sacrifice for mounted LOOKS worse, you have to factor in the ability to capture several meaningful methods of AI production numerous turns ahead of time relative to other options. I even cringed a little when you gave your reasoning for musketeers. Granted, marathon nerfs that advantage somewhat, but not entirely! We're talking about the only 2 move unit in the entire game that can be drafted prior to robotics, in a period where spy and/or cuirasser access is reasonable!

A couple key points in that game to note, that show the potential of this unit and let it truly shine:

- My picture of before and after taking the Aztec capitol, with 60% defenses and longbows, in 805-810 AD. I lost 3 horse archers there. That late in the game, deep in enemy territory, in a tech hole. Three. If I'd gotten unlucky, maybe 5-6, if lucky, 1-2. But that's in 800 AD +, using classical troops to extort civil service from an AI! And that's not even the UU version!

- For fun, load up the 650 AD save, declare on monty, and watch how you lose maybe 1-2 HAs (if you attack in the right order) versus his entire 10+ troop stack. That was the beginning of that war, and it was a crippling blow.

- I rushed the worst or 2nd worse (maybe pacal is worse, maybe) civ in the game possible using HA's, first.

- When fighting Boudica, I blew by a somewhat well-defended crap city and took some of her better ones :rolleyes:. Nothing like nerfing AI reinforcements rather than having to kill them...

I'm not saying it's the only way to war early, but if you're using horse archer units strictly as hit and runs, it might be time to re-evaluate their potential.

Note: The hardest part of that game was staying out of strike. Despite - 40 GPT at 0% science at one point, however, there was 0 turns of strike. On low levels, cities cost less maintenance so if you can grow your cities it's almost non-issue. On higher levels, the AIs actually have the techs you need and you can extort them, even if it means using partial research like one might in normal trades :lol:. I THINK that's the game where I extorted alphabet, used it to build research in my cities, which got me to currency, and then code of laws in a short period of time...short enough to keep warring with that same unit successfully. Also note that monty and izzy would have capitulated (had the settings allowed that), but doing that would have royally screwed my diplo so I didn't take them and wouldn't have.

Although I've thoroughly enjoyed the might of both Redcoats and Keshiks in my games, I voted for Praets. I usually don't play as August nor Julius, but seeing the Romans power rating skyrocket with their Praets merely confirmation of their prowess for me. I did try playing as Augustus once and did get the Praets to perform big time as well. Quite the unit.

I love the Cho-ko-nu because it does collateral damage. Just a shame the chinese leaders are otherwise not so good...

Well, you have pretty much ruined your poll as the best UU is the Fast Worker. A unit you have to build, is usable throughout the game, is usable on any map type and in any situation and doesn't require resources? What is not to like.

It is especially useful in the early game when a quick start is more important than anything else, for example, spending 2 turns to road a forest tile instead of 3 is a huge boost. Over the course of a game it adds up.

There was a game a posted a while ago when a fast worker took 2 turns to move and start improving a tile. If it had been a normal worker it would have taken 4.

As for the rest, I suppose a Redcoat, always usable and very versatile, the main downside is a shortish period when they are viable. I would say Prets, but they are not always usable in the window available, all thoughts of things could put a spanner in the works.

Well, you have pretty much ruined your poll as the best UU is the Fast Worker. A unit you have to build, is usable throughout the game, is usable on any map type and in any situation and doesn't require resources? What is not to like.

It is especially useful in the early game when a quick start is more important than anything else, for example, spending 2 turns to road a forest tile instead of 3 is a huge boost. Over the course of a game it adds up.

There was a game a posted a while ago when a fast worker took 2 turns to move and start improving a tile. If it had been a normal worker it would have taken 4.

As for the rest, I suppose a Redcoat, always usable and very versatile, the main downside is a shortish period when they are viable. I would say Prets, but they are not always usable in the window available, all thoughts of things could put a spanner in the works.

I explained my reasons for excluding the fast worker above. Granted, it is also difficult to compare military units in different eras, but it's a more valid comparison. I agree that fast workers are amazing.

Yeah it's true that, provided you have iron, praets are amazing. But that requirement almost made me vote for another UU. A game without early access to iron or copper is unusual. A game without iron? It happens. And it seems to happen when you're rome, "forcing" you to axe rush the person who has iron, which makes the window of praet domination narrower.

Let's see, a maceman strength unit with city raider promotions in the middle of the BC years (conceivably 2750 BC if you beeline Iron Working).

Since both Roman leaders are imperialistic, this also means fast GG popping. Which means settle first GG in your unit city which means CR I/II strength 8 units waaaay before catapults.

Sounds way OP to me. Sure you can counter them, but only with tons of axeman (which the AI isn't able to pump out too many that early).

I think Babylon's Bowman would have been a good candidate for omission. It's a perfectly good unit, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that having good archers is a game-breaker (Mali's Skirmishers are kind of in the same category, but maybe slightly better because at 4 str I suppose they could be used for a resourceless early rush if needed). I doubt anyone would miss Gallic Warriors from the list either, since they're just plain swordsmen with Guerilla I (I guess if you played a lot of Highlands maps...), or Navy SEALs, since like Panzers they're pretty irrelevant. I don't have a problem with any of the ones you chose to omit, though.

Poll's going about how I expected so far.

I disagree on the Gallic Warriors. Guerrilla III and its 50% withdraw chance significantly increases your chances of survival. You do have to sacrifice other promotions that can be helpfull, but what other promotion gives a 50% chance to withdraw AND help attack those nasty hill cities, add in the swordsman bonus and its quite a handy unit, just make sure and attack from a hill (which in many cases is adjacent to a city for the hammers) so they gain the defence bonus as well. Two promotions especially with a charismatic leader is nothing.

Top Bottom