1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: what new European civs would you like to see in the future of Civ franchise?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Krajzen, Aug 21, 2019.

?

Choose 5 new European civs you'd like to see most

1. Italy in united form

43 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Moors/Andalusia/Cordoba

35 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. Charlemagne's Frankish/Carolingian Empire

22 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. Florence, Genoa or some other individual Italian state

25 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. Ireland

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  6. Belgium/Flanders

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Switzerland

15 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. Normans

20 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. Goths (or other Migration Era people)

33 vote(s)
    28.9%
  10. Bohemia (Czechs)

29 vote(s)
    25.4%
  11. Lithuania

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  12. Kievan Rus (separately from Russia)

15 vote(s)
    13.2%
  13. Cossack Ukraine

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  14. Romania

21 vote(s)
    18.4%
  15. Bulgarian Empire

29 vote(s)
    25.4%
  16. Serbia

12 vote(s)
    10.5%
  17. Armenia (culturally 'European')

33 vote(s)
    28.9%
  18. Croatia

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  19. Finland

16 vote(s)
    14.0%
  20. Ancient Germania

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  21. Gauls

26 vote(s)
    22.8%
  22. Burgundy

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  23. Wales

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  24. Albania (Skanderbeg)

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  25. Yugoslavia (Tito)

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  26. Individual German state (Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, Teutons etc)

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  27. Papal State

12 vote(s)
    10.5%
  28. 'Slavs' (Samo, Great Moravia, Pagan Slavs etc)

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  29. Cumans/Pechenegs/Sarmatians/Khazars etc

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Patine

Patine Deity

When did they appear in Age of Empires? I've been playing that series since Age of Empires I dropped in the late '90's, and I use the same user name on all the Age of Empires Heaven forums. I have never seen a Cuman/Kipchak civ. Where are they hiding?

2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

the Cumans appeared in the new AoE2 Definitive Edition (where they were a ludicrously broken civ until the recent nerf and now solidly rank among the S-tier civs.).

Not sure if they would fit Civ 6 though. I would love a nomadic central asian civ that isn't the Mongols, but we already have the Scythians, and I like the idea of Tatars and Timurids/Uzbeks more.

3. Patine

Patine Deity

Was the Definitive Edition a fanmade mod like Realms, Age of Chivalry, Tsars and Salesman, Borderland Empires, Portuguese Civ Mod, etc., or something more semi-official for paid download and install? I've heard it mentioned, now that you bring it up, but always though something else was being referred to (the original HD revived version, basically).

4. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Yes and no. AoE2 DE is a derivative of Forgotten Empires, which was a fan-made mod, but is very much a proper expansion in its own right now. HD is the collection of all the small modifications and expansion packs they made (I'm forgetting the name of the company, but they're Microsoft supported and are currently working on Age of Empires 4)

I did misspeak in my earlier post though. The Cumans were added in the High Definition upgrade, which updated the graphics, made several QoL changes (such as permanent farm reseeding) and added four new Civs (Cumans, Bulgarians, Lithuanians and Tatars (who have a Tamarlane-centric campaign)).

AoE2 HD's civs aren't necessarily something firaxis should go by when designing their civs. The Vietnamese (who I believe are a slam dunk for a third XPac) are playable in DE and HD and they're arguably the most vanilla AoE civ ever.

5. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Definitive Edition is basically an entirely new game. It's a complete remaster of AoE2, with all the expansion content created by Forgotten Empires, plus four new civs and more campaigns/content, one of which is the Cumans. Been playing it since launch and it's A+.

6. Haig

Haig Deity

What could be a unique unit for:
    Armenia
    Romania
    Bulgaria

Would love to see some of them in civ but are there any good ideas for distinctive units?

7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Respectively from modded Civs-
    Ayrudzi Heavy Cavalry
    Calarasi Light Cavalry
    Cumen Ranged Cavalry

Haig likes this.
  8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Can't name anyone from menory but
    Armenia has had a ton of them, with their own fancy names and so on. Bułgaria I don't recall but I am sure you could provide few of them based on their centuries of major powerhouse which was mortal danger to Byzantium. Romania had just enough crazy military victories between 14th and 17th centuries to warrant few unique units.

9. ElectRonin

ElectRonin Chieftain

I'm not sure about the Cuman cavalry. They were very close and influential to the Second Bulgarian Empire, even some of our rulers at the time had at least some Cuman blood, but as a whole they're not really considered "Bulgarian" the way we'd consider special units in Civ. It's like if Byzantium's special unit was a Varangian.

I'd go with Opalchentzi/Hushove/Hajduti (basically freedom fighters) and here's why:

- Very iconic. Some of the best Bulgarian literature we have is based on the Russo-Turkish war, and more specifically the Battle of Shipka.
    - Their mechanics can be based at least in part on historic accuracy. Make them have a +5 on hills terrain and fight at full strength even when injured or something.
    - Their appearance can be more memorable than the usual steppe riders. Here's how they could look

Haig likes this.
  10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Take it up with Merrick. ;)

11. ElectRonin

ElectRonin Chieftain

Nah, you don't look a gifted horse in the mouth. Guy's a badass in my book. It's thanks to him we have Simeon in-game, so he has my thanks. :)