1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] (POLL) What will be the second first look?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hawke9, Nov 27, 2018.

?

What will be the second first look?

1. Inca

54 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Maori

92 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. The Ottomans

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Phoenicia/Carthage

19 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Sweden

10 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Mali

19 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Canada

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Eleanor

9 vote(s)
    3.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

Just for that alone I'm voting for Turkey! I wouldn't be surprised to see the Inca, Maori, or Mali (Mansa Musa probably had a lot of silver too) at this point either.

Eleanor does sound like a fascinating person and having a leader lead 2 Civs could be very interesting but I feel the same at this point until I see more.
    I actually wouldn't mind having Eleanor as the alt leader at all IF England already had Elizabeth I / Alfred the Great and France already had Louis XIV / Phillip II but with the current selections it would be like you said with having another dubious choice on top of more dubious choices. She would make a great choice for a new governor too but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Zaarin likes this.
  2. Civbra

Civbra Warlord

I vote to Mali but I didn't saw the Maori at first...Changed to Maori. I believe they will show us a little more about the new mechanics and the Maori definitely have some.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

CdM held little influence during her husband's reign, but she managed to serve as regent for three sons. Her policies mostly failed, but she at least had policies. Eleanor only ruled briefly in Aquitaine. She spent about a decade married to the king of France, where she had virtually no influence because they both loathed each other. She then spent decades as the queen-consort/queen-mother of England, it's true, but she used her influence chiefly to support her sons' (unsuccessful) rebellions. Virtually any king of France would be a better option for France--even Charles VII. As for England, there are not only better options but even a good handful of better female options--Lizzy, of course, but also Mary I, Empress Matilda--even the lackluster Mary II or Queen Anne wouldn't be worse choices. :( Eleanor's a great pop culture figure, but in terms of actual political influence she's beneath Gandhi.

...That could actually be compelling, though the only king she was married to or mothered who would make a good leader choice, Henry II, she spent her entire marriage subverting. :p Richard I would be a big personality, but John would be a bigger one and Richard only spent a few months in England. :p

4. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Regarding Eleanor...

I have two problems with the idea of one leader for two civs:
    1. Most players would expect a leader for one civ, not two. I would assume that they'll get confused or find it conceptually complex. I understand that it's a good use of the "one unique something per leader" concept, but I think that there are better ways of doing that. Like an Italian civ for instance.
    2. From what I got when I skimmed Eleanor's Wikipedia article, she had more achievements in France rather than England. In England she only had political influence and became a regent later in life. In France she did so much more. So it wouldn't make sense for Eleanor to be a leader for both civs if she did more for one than the other.

Generally, I am having reservations with Eleanor as being a leader of either France or England, seeing that there are more worthy second leaders for each, both male and female. But I guess I would have to accept Eleanor as a second leader. As long as she's a second leader for France, mostly because I can't think of any other worthy female leader for France except Catherine de Medici and Joan of Arc (yes, I am going there).

Jewelrunna and Zaarin like this.
  5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

She did led armies during the (albeit failed) Second Crusade. Catherine de Medici had spies. :dunno:

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Marie Antoinette. :mischief: On a serious note, Marie Antoinette, for all the Revolution vilified her, probably had more political accomplishments than Eleanor. :p

Guandao, Buthera and CivLuvah like this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

No she didn't. She and her ladies-in-waiting pranced about in armor and scandalized everyone, but there's no evidence she led armies.

Guandao likes this.
  8. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Warlord

Think they'll go with a fan-favorite now, probably Inca will be my bet.

Zaarin likes this.
  9. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Fear not, next expansion we'll get Charlemagne leading both France or (England - strike that, I'm tired) Germany, James II/V leading both England or Scotland and Charles V. leading Spain, Austria, Germany or Netherlands just to confuse everybody :D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Trav'ling Canuck and WillowBrook like this.
  10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Don't you mean France or Germany? :p

11. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I suspect Hungary was chosen first at least in part because its bonuses don't rely on any of the new mechanics. Starting with the civs using base mechanics and getting to the ones using expansion mechanics once they've had more time to explain/show these off seems like a reasonable plan. Of course, this doesn't actually tell us anything unless we can guess which civs are most likely to fall into each category.

12. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I think Inca will be next, for the reasons already mentioned by others in this thread.

Zaarin likes this.
  13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

:shifty: can't even do my own jokes properly. Sorry for that and thank you for correcting me. I'm seeing myself to my bed now, it's late and I only write nonsense (apparently)

14. Chasethemage

Chasethemage Chieftain

Hey, Someone on reddit found an interesting pattern on the live streams that may hint to future announcements:

Tchuli, Guandao, drubell and 12 others like this.
  15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They did a fine job of centering New Zealand in the shot.

CivLuvah, Guandao, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  16. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Had they rotated it just slightly eastward, I could suggest it might be Noongar, too. But no, that's definitely Maori territory.

Haig and TahamiTsunami like this.
  17. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

If that pans out, well then I take my hat of to you Ed and Sarah, that is a cool little feature

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  18. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Surprised by their first pick Hungary, will go with Inca as they're a staple, will gather more enthusiasm (which is still crucial atm) and aren't from Europe. I expect Phoenicia to be late, and Sweden to be late as well as they might have unique mechanics. Mali might be third. alt leader fourth, Canada fifth, Carthage sixth, Sweden seventh, Maori eighth and Ottomans nineth

A lot of hypothetical well received female leaders even never make it into the game. Isabella, Catherine of Russia but also new leaders like Lady Six Sky or Jihonhassee

Zaarin likes this.
  19. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Watch them go Maori next, then point the map at the middle of the Pacific to mess with y'all before going with the Ottomans afterwards.

CivLuvah and WillowBrook like this.
  20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The problem is that Mali, the Ottomans, Phoenicia/Carthage, and Sweden are all in the quadrant of the globe. It would be hard to infer exactly which one is intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.