1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] (POLL) What will be the second first look?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hawke9, Nov 27, 2018.

?

What will be the second first look?

1. Inca

54 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Maori

92 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. The Ottomans

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Phoenicia/Carthage

19 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Sweden

10 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Mali

19 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Canada

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Eleanor

9 vote(s)
    3.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Carefully selecting which board game or other props they display could help. :p

2. jddods

jddods Prince

Fingers crossed.

CivLuvah, Guandao, Canterbury and 2 others like this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Warlord

I wasn't going to vote in these polls, but now your post has gotten me excited.
    Great observation on reddit, if it turns out to be true.

4. Haig

Haig Deity

Clearly even a mere child could see where the globe hints at...

.. Next week, First look: NOONGAR

CivLuvah and TheMarshmallowBear like this.
  5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I am a massive fan of Eleanor as a person but I broadly agree with this: whichever way you slice it, it's difficult to argue that she is the best leader choice for either country. However...

What really sells me on her is the idea that she will be an interchangeable leader for both England AND France. IMO it's the only way to justify her inclusion. When you look at the list of historical royalty who were King/Queen of both during their lifetimes, the list is pretty damn small. I think we can exclude English "Kings" of France, Henry V and Edward III in particular, because I can't see that making an English conquering figure leader of England and France would be a particularly sensitive move (almost like making Vicky an alt-leader for India).

The gameplay implications of having an interchangeable leader has got me REALLY excited to see what they do with Eleanor and (along with the fact that she is one of the most interesting and influential figures of the medieval history of either country, whether you think she counts as a ruler or not) has completely sold me on her inclusion. If it turns out that the leak is wrong and she can only lead one or the other, then yes, that would be mystifying because both Civs have a long and glittering roster of better choices, and France already has one iffy leader option...

Haig, CivLuvah, Guandao and 2 others like this.
  6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

In the beginning, the earth was without form, and void, the sun shone upon the sleeping earth, into the swirling malestorm of fire, air and water, the first sign of life appeared.

There was the Tamar of Georgia...

and then there was Italy...

and now.. Noongar....

Meluhhan, Haig, CivLuvah and 5 others like this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

On which note, where is the Tamar of Georgia option in the poll? :p

8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Plot twist: it's not Eleanor, it's Tamar! Now she can lead England and France too :crazyeye:

9. Jcturmer

Jcturmer Chieftain

"Felipe II leads Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Netherlands. Italy, Aztecs, Inca, Maya, Mapuche and Philippines in Sid Meier´s Civilization VI"

10. Joketa

Joketa Chieftain

It will be a Civ whose abilities match the game mechanics they've talked about. I imagine Sweden and Canada will have abilities related to the diplomacy mechanics that they haven't fleshed out yet. I would say they are the two least likely.

11. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

The other really great thing about Eleanor is that she cements the design philosophy that alt leaders are reserved for civs with a long history under different polities. Chandragupta represents Maurya, not India. Gorgo represents the Peloppenesian League, not the Delian League. And Eleanor represents the Angevin empire/Norman English post-heptarchy/the Franks, not Great Britain and France.

This is honestly a very responsible design choice, because it offers historical/civ variety in a way that opens dev resources for new civs, while simultaneously placing greater emphasis on very large and long-standing civs. Russia, Arabia, and Rome can now have Kievan Rus/USSR, Umayyad/Saudi, and Byzantine leaders and it strengthens the weight of both "civs," by pointing toward their storied history/legacy, rather than minimizing them.

It's incredibly elegant and I love that Eleanor keeps up the trend. This is how you do history, by representing a continuity of culture. Not by focusing on the same tired cults of personality.

12. jddods

jddods Prince

Didn't see this till now. Bloddy excited. How am I going to sleep!!!

bite likes this.
  13. Kheznik

Kheznik Warlord

On December 4 (next Tuesday), 1909, the oldest extant hockey franchise in the world, the Montreal Canadiens, was founded.

I'm already having visions of next year's raucous over the top celebrations in my home city.

Haig likes this.
  14. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Warlord

Also England, as he was King of England (without much power though) while married to Mary I.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

I'm suddenly reminded of these videos:

Guandao likes this.
  16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Are starting another meme again? NOONGAR OF [I honestly can't spell the tribe unfortunately] CONFIRMED, Y'ALL!!!

There are very, very good points in both of these posts. But personally, what puts me off Eleanor representing both civs (England and France) is not design choice but player experience. To what civ are the players going to associate Eleanor to? England or France? And what if there are suddenly two Eleanors due to a bug? I know that was mentioned before but it'll be a real problem. I do concede to the fact that from a game design perspective it would be great to have Eleanor as a leader of two civs, but it'll be confusing to someone playing the game who has no prior historical knowledge, of Eleanor... or of how feudal marriages work.

Siptah likes this.
  17. Haig

Haig Deity

A leader with Big Personality that could lead two different civs, both with a large fanbase?

King George III leads England and America in Sid Meier's Civilization VI

AvianBritish, Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  18. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Prince

If we are conjuring next Grand Meme pls let it be better Lady Six Sky ;)

19. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Savage.

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm pretty sure the Noongar is the tribe. :lol:
    Alexander the Great? He would have been perfect for Macedon, Greece, Egypt, Persia, Babylon, Illyrians, Bactria, Media, Phoenicia, Parthia etc. Maybe it's just me. :mischief:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.