• Getting your settler factory set up

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Building that "key" Wonder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pointy-stick diplomacy, looting the AIs treasury and techs

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Getting your first Great Leader <= you know you want to vote here :D

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Obtaining that much needed strategic resource through "might makes right" diplomacy

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Wiping out the final AI, proving "there can be only one"

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • "Other"

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Hellfiredoom

Warlord
I was just thinking about all the great moments in Civ, and wanted to see how my favorite stacks up against yours. So here's a poll to see what makes you smile in game, or maybe even laugh at the folly of the Civ AIs.:lol:

For me, it has to be getting that first MGL. After playing and struggling through several games without armies, it's definitely a great moment when I get that first popup asking me what to name my new Leader.:goodjob:

If I missed your favorite moment, simply vote for "other" and add a quick post describing what it is.

Other- In a game where I was just messing around, I built a 400 unit stack. Using it in a 6-Front strike was very fun.

I was torn between "First leader" (because I get them so seldomly despite many elite victories; the RNG must hate me...) and "Managing the Republic Slingshot on Emperor or higher". Another option was "Getting the Settler Factory up", especially if it's one that's very complicated and hard to spot.

But in the end I voted "Other" for the Republic Slingshot.

When playing PTW (where there is no slingshot) the best moment is definitely the beginning of a well-timed Golden Age.

Completing railroad connectivity. After so many wars with roads the freedom of railroads is exhilerating.

Favorite moment has to be getting the first leader, because it's unpredictable. The others, you know you'll get. One key wonder, if you focus on it, you know you'll get. Final civ down, spaceship launch aren't the surprise that the first leader is.

A more minor moment is getting that last luxury hooked up. Usually by force, AI charges an arm and a leg when you have a large empire.

I'm an exploreer at heart. I love it when my curragh makes it across 8 ocean spaces and get sight of another shore.

Once it ahppened this led me to a GL slingshot earning me a Jackpot of techs (I had been on a continent with just 1 civ, built the GL for 10K)

Mine has to be building a road to India, trading a tech for Ivory then switching my pre-build to SoZ and wiping the Indians out with AC .. it was so much fun

Mine has to be building a road to India, trading a tech for Ivory then switching my pre-build to SoZ and wiping the Indians out with AC .. it was so much fun

You got me beat. I forgot about that. SoZ rocks!

In the one save that I posted in bug reports, the all the ivory in the world was just beyond one chokepoint on the Iroquois-Rome-Zululand island. The Iroquois exported ivory to Rome, Rome gets SoZ, and conquers the Zulu and the Iroquois. (But the idiots left Salamanca for some reason

Capturing the Glib when i am an era behind in tech :D.

That's always pretty cool. I intentionally did that gambit one game even though I could have kept pace in research. Playing as Spain without horses, which led to a total bloodbath of a battle to take a Great Library City on a Hill (+100% defense with fortified units). Had a stack of 100 Medieval Infantry and Musketmen, and 50 Galleys to transport them (no Astronomy, of course!). They had Riflemen defending IIRC. Of course, all my Med Inf's were stuck with no upgrades when I did take the GLIB, as they didn't have Replaceable Parts (they got it a couple turns later). Still, a very fun gambit to do, even if it was counterproductive.

Of the options, obtaining the key resource is probably my top choice most often, especially when it's a real battle to get it. Generally any triumph when victory is legitimately doubtful is an ideal Civ moment.

To that end, my first Emperor victory is amongst my most fun Civ games ever, due to the triumph factor. Playing as France, I literally lost half my empire including all my core cities to the Americans when they declared war on me while I was fighting the Maya (I was sandwiched between them). I got lucky with leaders when I really needed some, and lost three entire armies of Cavalry turning the tide. I didn't end up gaining any territory in the war, and a couple of my cities were razed in the process (some by America, at least one by me intentionally to keep them from taking it), but I can't recall having a more come-from-behind victory. Even after that, it was very possible that the situation might repeat, and with lesser luck I might fall, but I was eventually able to gain the upper hand and avoid the devastating late loss that had befallen me in my previous Emperor attempt.

So my vost must go to "triumphal come-from-behind victory".

Getting the settler factory set up--so I can get a quick and easy early expansion, which makes for quick and easy middlegame expansion. :D

Though, as a side note, I have to agree with Spoonwood as well. I usually go for cultural or domination wins, but my first space victory was definitely one of my best moments. :D

I voted for getting my first leader but my 2nd choice would be finding coal. By that stage of the game my empire is pretty spread out and railroads make a huge difference.

Top Bottom