POLL: Which game options are you using (part 2)?

Which game options are you using (part 2)?

• Multiple Production

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • Multiple Research

• Usable Mountains

• Surround and Destroy

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Advanced Diplomacy

Votes: 37 94.9%
  • Unlimited Wonders

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Barbarian Generals

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Assimilation

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Final Five

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High to Low

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Increasing Difficulty

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Ruthless AI

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Great Commanders

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Culturally Linked Starts

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Personalized Maps

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Realistic Culture Spread

• Larger Cities

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Realistic Corporations

• Religion Decay

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No Transhuman Era

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Barbarians Always Raze

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • United Nations

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Advanced Espionage

• No Fixed Borders

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No Nukes

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
Second part of the poll:

I still think we should reduce the number of options that are available when you start the game. Some are default game options from BTS, others are old and were introduced because some people didn't like how the game was behaving when a - at that time - new feature was added. So, here's a poll: I need you all to tell us which options you are using and we might consider axing some of the unused ones. You can of course select multiple options. Please don't select those options that you never use or are very very seldom used (like, just a single game to test that option).
Thanks.

If you want to cut options that wouldn't make too much change to overall gameplay, I would start with removing No Inquisitions. I don't think it really adds a lot to make this an option, and the conditions for an inquisition are really confusing so I don't think it comes up in games too much anyway. I'd also suggest making Multiple Production and Multiple Research mandatory. I think it reduces micromanaging in fast games and doesn't affect slow games at all.

With the recent changes to city razing, does No City Razing still make sense? And does Barbarians Always Raze still work?

If you want to cut options that wouldn't make too much change to overall gameplay, I would start with removing No Inquisitions. I don't think it really adds a lot to make this an option, and the conditions for an inquisition are really confusing so I don't think it comes up in games too much anyway. I'd also suggest making Multiple Production and Multiple Research mandatory. I think it reduces micromanaging in fast games and doesn't affect slow games at all.

With the recent changes to city razing, does No City Razing still make sense? And does Barbarians Always Raze still work?

I would like to wait some time to get the most out of the poll, but I definitely agree. No Inquisition should be removed, Multiple Production/Research mandatory, No City Razing should be removed but I would keep Barbarians Always Raze because it should still work and it's meant to give Barbarians something more IMO.

Edit: also, I think Advanced Diplomacy should be mandatory: it's one of RAND's distinctive features.

Last edited:
Wasn't surround and destroy removed from the game coding??

I've tried using it as an option, but it never changed the odds, so seem superfluous option.

I love high to low, give a greater challenge to the game, but that's me.

Wasn't surround and destroy removed from the game coding??

I've tried using it as an option, but it never changed the odds, so seem superfluous option.

I love high to low, give a greater challenge to the game, but that's me.

surround and destroy has been reintroduced some time ago. It should work but I didn't check, I'll have a look.

Mentioned this int he other poll, but I get one-turn units before the Modern even on Epic, and not just in capitol cities either. I always play with the Multiple X options off, especially Multiple Production. I'd be really disappointed if that became a mandatory feature, unless it could still be switched off in BUG or with a little XML editing.

Similarly, I really dislike the Fixed Borders mechanic so always play with No Fixed Borders on.

I usually play with Larger Cities on nowadays, and only sometimes use Realistic Culture Spread. I pretty much always play with Unlimited Wonders as well.

Mentioned this int he other poll, but I get one-turn units before the Modern even on Epic, and not just in capitol cities either. I always play with the Multiple X options off, especially Multiple Production. I'd be really disappointed if that became a mandatory feature, unless it could still be switched off in BUG or with a little XML editing.

Probably most options would not be removed completely; I would just make them default ON/OFF and hide them via XML. I would probably only remove as options some things like No Inquisitions and Advanced Diplomacy, one because it doesn't have a big impact on the game, the other because I consider it a key feature of the mod.

Probably most options would not be removed completely; I would just make them default ON/OFF and hide them via XML. I would probably only remove as options some things like No Inquisitions and Advanced Diplomacy, one because it doesn't have a big impact on the game, the other because I consider it a key feature of the mod.

Keeping the options there "technically" but cleaning up the Options page itself when starting a new game. Not too hard to re-enable something that's merely be hidden (I did that with the hidden Parliment civic briefly, just to see what it was like)

I agree that Advanced Diplomacy's probably something better made mandatory, I think the only time I ever had it off was when there was some bug that popped up involving it?

Not to advocate for or against this particular option, but since we are playing around with options, could we also get some clarification on what Larger Cities is really supposed to do? I don't think I understand it properly. My belief is that:
  • Larger Cities ON = work third ring tiles with Influential culture level
  • Larger Cities OFF = work third ring tiles only with Metropolitan Administration building
  • There is no option that outright denies the third ring.
Is this right?

Not to advocate for or against this particular option, but since we are playing around with options, could we also get some clarification on what Larger Cities is really supposed to do? I don't think I understand it properly. My belief is that:
  • Larger Cities ON = work third ring tiles with Influential culture level
  • Larger Cities OFF = work third ring tiles only with Metropolitan Administration building
  • There is no option that outright denies the third ring.
Is this right?

Yep, absolutely correct.

*Edit* Sorry, misposted in the wrong thread ><;

3AM and not really paying attention it seems.

Last edited:
I use more options from the above list than the previous list: Multiple Production, Multiple Research, Usable Mountains, Advanced Diplomacy, Assimilation, Realistic Culture Spread, Larger Cities, Realistic Corporations, United Nations and Advanced Espionage. I sometimes use Religion Decay and occasionally No Nukes.

Can we have an option to limit number of cities built by everyone in the game? I don't find late game fun only because there's too much to keep track of.

I use Multiple Production, Multiple Research and Usable Mountains, and think all three should be on by default and hidden by default. Any Civ IV mod these were available for, I've had them turned on, and if one is off by mistake I'll restart. (Admittedly, I think I've seen Multiple Research come up all of once in AND2.)

Advanced Diplomacy could also probably be on and hidden - I don't think it ever does any harm - but its effects are usually minor.

I've had Assimilation on because in C2C it's necessary for certain mechanics (despite still being an option. :| ), but I'll probably turn it off in the future. I don't actually like its effects on a more "normal" Civ IV game like AND2. Definitely off and not hidden.

I sometimes use Great Commanders because I love the system, but the AI really, really can't. I probably shouldn't use it outside of multiplayer, and definitely would want it to default off. As much as I enjoy it, it should arguably be hidden until/unless the AI can cope with it.

I recently tried Realistic Corporations and they are super cool, definitely something I'll have on in the future. Still, I'd default to off, since it's such a radical change to the base game. Not hidden, in either case.

I use Advanced Espionage, but I'm not sure the AI copes with it well. Do they use AE functions and I'm just too espionage-heavy a player for them to get away with any on me? If the AI uses this I'd like it to start on, but either way not hidden since it's understandable to want it off.

I've taken to turning on No Fixed Borders because the mechanic just seems weird and unnecessary. On and hidden.

Advanced Espionage - I don't know if the AI uses its advanced function. But, they're useless anyway since they costs hundreds of thousands of ESP to use but once, so they may as well just not be there. In my latest game I've only seen a few techs be stolen by neighbors, but most of the espionage was building destruction from rebel-spawned spies. I don't see much in the way of AI espionage at all anymore.

No Fixed Borders - I hate the fixed borders mechanic so much, but from what I've seen many people do actually like it; so I'd say keeping it an option would be good. Not sure about a default On or Off though, depends on how many people want it on I guess?

I do like great commanders mechanic also, but as AI has no clue about how to use them efectively, its a total waste.

I really like Great Commanders. I think it's one of the things that deserves to be an option. Could default to off, but don't hide it.

I think it's interesting that with 26 votes in the poll, no one has selected Final Five.

Great commanders will definitely stay, no worries. I might try decreasing some espionage costs, some of them are probably too high, but keep in mind you can also build espionage in your cities, like you can build research, culture and science. I'm doing it in my last game and results are pretty good.

Can we have an option to limit number of cities built by everyone in the game? I don't find late game fun only because there's too much to keep track of.

That would be rather radical. I like the idea of avoiding huge empires stretching over half the planet, but I prefer to make it very hard with maintenance costs or revolution effects than to make it impossible using an option.

Well, we have four clear candidates to make on/hidden, with another six not far behind.

Top Bottom