[R&F] Poll: Which Governors Are You Most Looking Forward To?

Which governors are you most looking forawrd to?

• Total voters

Phoenix1595

Lord of the Two Lands
For reference, I included their promotion trees, courtesy of Bite's R&F compendium thread:

Magnus The Steward -

Tier 1) Bonus to plot yields and terrain removals in the city
Tier 2) Surplus Logistics - +Growth in the City, +Food in cities that end Trade Routes in the City;
Provision - + Production of Industrial Zone Buildings, Settlers do not consume population
Tier 3) Industrialist - +production for each strategic resource in the city;
Black Marketeer - don't need Strategic Resources to build Units in this city
Tier 4) Vertical Integration - You get the Industrial Zone bonuses from all near by districts not just the 1

Liang the Surveyor -

Tier 1) Grants an extra builder charge
Tier 2) Infrastructure - +production of Government Plaza and Buildings;
Aquaculture - Can build the Fishery Tile Improvement
Tier 3) Zoning Commissioner - +production of building Districts;
Amusement - +production to Entertainment Complex and Water Park Buildings
Tier 4) Parks and Recreation - Can Build the City Park Tile Improvement

Pingala the Educator -

Tier 1) +Science, +Culture in City
Tier 2) Connoisseur - +Production to Theater Square Buildings in City;
Researcher - +Production to Campus buildings in City
Tier 3) Grants - Increases the Great Person points Generated in the City
Tier 4) Arms Race Proponent - +Production towards Nuclear Arms;
Space Initiative - +Production to Space Based Projects

Victor the Castellan -

Tier 1) + City Garrison Stregth
Tier 2) Garrison Commander - Units in cities territory get a Defense bonus
Defense Logistics - City can't be put under Siege
Tier 3) Security Expert - Enemy Spies work at a reduced level in this city
Embrasure - City gets a second ranged strike
Tier 4) Air Defense Initiative - Bonus to air defense within city range against planes and ICBMs

Amani the Diplomat -

Tier 1) Can be sent to a City State where she counts as 2 envoys
Tier 2) Emissary - all Foreign Cities in range get increased Loyalty to your Civ;
Prestige - All Domestic Cities in range get increased Loyalty to your Civ
Tier 3) Affluence - get a copy of the luxuries in the City State you are in;
Promoter - +Amenities in the City you are in
Tier 4) Puppeteer - Doubles the number of Envoys you have in the City State you are Located in

Moksha the Cardinal -

Tier 1) Increased Religion pressure from the city
Tier 2) Grand Inquisitor - +Combat Strength for Religious Units near city
Divine Architect - +Production towards Religious Buildings
Tier 3) Laying On Of Hands - Religious Units fully heal in 1 turn
Citadel of God - Ignores pressure and combat bonuses from other Religions
Tier 4) Patron Saint - Apostles built in this city get an extra promotion

Reyna the Financier -

Tier 1) Acquires new City Tiles Quicker
Tier 2) Harbourmaster - Bonus to agency from Harbor and Commercial District
Foreign Exchange - +gold for all Foreign Trade Route passing through the city
Tier 3) Tax Collector - + Gold for each citizen in the city
Tier 4) Contractor - can buy Districts with Gold
Curator - increased Tourism from Great Works

I already mentioned this in the other thread but here are my reasons:
1. Magnus is good all around for production and growing cities.
2. Reyna is great for acquiring money which is always good for me along with all her bonuses.
3. Pingala since I am a cultural and science player most of the time.

I voted for Amani (because I like City-States), Magnus (for production), and Liang (because I'm a builder).
Honorable mentions go to Reyna (money!) and Pingala (for Culture/Science).
I don't care much for Moksha or Victor....

Magnus will be essential in any game, while the rest are a bit more situational.

I personally am not blown away by Liang, like some, but I can see her being a solid choice generally. Certainly, her early promotions are good, but I am not a fan of the improvements.

I feel bad for Victor. Some of his promotions are fine in certain situations, but not compared to game-length buffs from the others.

The rest I need to see in action, but I look forward to them all. There are definitely promos in each that are very appealing.

I feel bad for Victor. Some of his promotions are fine in certain situations, but not compared to game-length buffs from the others.

The nice thing about him is that he takes less time to establish himself in a city compared to other governors, so you can quickly deploy him to any corner of your empire that's under threat. The devs knew he was going to be the most situational governor, so they made him more flexible to compensate.

Poor Victor the Castellan hasn't gotten any votes yet....:cry:
Then change your vote.;)
Obviously he will be situational though like if your neighbor is Alexander, Gilgamesh or Genghis etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AI will also have their own set of governors, some of whom I would not want to compete against (Victor, Amani, Moksha, and Magnus during a wonder race).

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AI will also have their own set of governors, some of whom I would not want to compete against (Victor, Amani, Moksha, and Magnus during a wonder race).
Good. More buffs to France.

The mod that makes them generic and/or civ specific.

Is that (the Governors being the same for each Civ and not matching the ethnicity of the Civ) really that big of a deal to many Civ6 players?
I remember the four Civ5 advisers being the same (Indian diplomat lady, White economist lady, White General guy, and African Scientific guy).

Is that (the Governors being the same for each Civ and not matching the ethnicity of the Civ) really that big of a deal to many Civ6 players?
I remember the four Civ5 advisers being the same (Indian diplomat lady, White economist lady, White General guy, and African Scientific guy).
The large faces on the city banner were the only thing that threw me off at first, but that's all fine now. I don't really care, I have a big enough imagination that they could be whatever the ethnicity of my Civ is and pretend to have different names if I so choose.
The alternatives are if they aren't modded is 1) you can always play as America and pretend you are a big melting pot, or 2) pretend that they are captives from other places and you have to force them to control certain aspects of your cities.

I don’t know anyone who actually used the advisors in civ 5 outside of people who forgot how to turn the pop ups off or people who wanted to make the art designers feel better about making the game’s most useless feature. All I remember was how the science guy kept telling me “Now THAT’S efficiency!” no matter how backwards and barbaric my civ was in relation to my neighbors just because I managed to produce 1 more beaker than I had total population. Governors are a core game mechanic, and while I don’t hate the leader art style (apart from some of the more hideous ones like Bridge Troll Gandhi and Melted Ken Doll Alexander) I think the governors all look really, really bad in terms of art style.

Last edited:
Can't wait to start building special improvements with Liang! I've warmed up a bit to the idea of the improvements being only possible with her, at first I thought it would be better for them not to be tied to a governor. Her and Magnus will make a good team. I also like Amani a lot due to her interactions with city states and her general vibe.

The question is somewhat open ended, so I cast my votes based on which governors I think will be interesting to use and improve the game overall, rather than which ones I think will be powerful and anticipate using on that basis.

Castellan: I think that as the game currently stands, military aggression is rewarded too heavily. The option to invest in additional defensive bonuses should least begin to mitigate this.

Educator: Any option that allows boosting science, culture and great person points by investing in established cities rather than spamming small ones is very much welcome.

Financier: I very much like the idea of civs benefiting from receiving, as well as sending trade routes. This also looks like a very interesting governor to use: lots of strong bonuses, but lots of choices imposed by the fact that they aren't effective in the same cities.

In my mind, at least, the issue with named advisors doesn't have anything to do with matching ethnicities. It just seems strange that each of the world's empires is employing governors with matching names, appearances and personalities. Sticking with generic names and abstract symbols would eliminate this issue and would also allow governor titles to be viewed as investments in governmental institutions rather than immortal individuals.

In my mind, at least, the issue with named advisors doesn't have anything to do with matching ethnicities. It just seems strange that each of the world's empires is employing governors with matching names, appearances and personalities. Sticking with generic names and abstract symbols would eliminate this issue and would also allow governor titles to be viewed as investments in governmental institutions rather than immortal individuals.

Given how unrealistic Civ6 is...I can live with the Governors being identical in each Civ. I find the idea of them being replaced by abstract symbols more....bland....
It would be like how the Great People are now, but these funny looking Governors have grown on me....

Don't underestimate Victor!
I think we'll be able to use him semi-offensibly. Just move him into the last City you just captured (which takes only 3 turns).
You'll not only stabilize its loyalty, but also have a moving fortress with +5 combat strenght and 2 attacks.
Any unit your enemies might possibly have left after their first City fell will melt in Victors shadow.

You could even move him to a suitable border City before declaring war, then provoke the enemy to move troops there!

Top Bottom