Poll: Which might be the strongest unique building so far?

Poll: Which might be the strongest unique building so far?

• Citadel

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hippodrome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dikes

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • Rathaus

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Ikhanda

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • TradingPost

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Ziggurat

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Totem Pole

• Sacrificial Altar

• Terrace

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Rathaus

• Odeon

• Baray

• Stele

• Hammam

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Stock Exchange

• Mint

• Cothon

• Dun

• Pavillion

• Forum

• Masoleum

• Bayans

• Seowon

• Other(ResearchInst,MallGerApothOdeonsObelPavilionGardenBalCourtTotemFeitZig

Votes: 11 11.1%

• Total voters

I can't believe Dikes are running away with this poll. What a travesty.

Ikhanda is definitely the best UB in my book. It's so insanely powerful, I almost think it needs a nerf.

Terrace is also very good.

I voted for the ikhanda.

Dikes are probably the best *in theory*, but as they're situational in their application (re useless away from water) I voted for the Rathaus (Ikhanda I consider equally good though).

Dikes are however slightly overrated. +1 Production per water tile seems great and all, but I often find my cities aren't big enough to end up harvesting that many water tiles as even with the Dike, land squares are generally more productive, unless there are a LOT of water tiles around the city, in which case the city doesn't grow that big anyway - so usually the Dike doesn't tend to mean more than a few extra production per turn (I don't count the production from River tiles, which can be potentially much more, but as Levees get them too is not a direct feature of the Dike).

The only time I get a serious bonus from a Dike is when I have a city with A) a lot of water tiles and 3-4 water resources within the radius of those tiles or B) a city with a massive fresh water lake (pretty rare). Even with a Lighthouse a normal water tile only produces 2 food, which is only enough to sustain the worker working it, not actually cause any growth.

The big thing about dikes that all the dike-fans seem to be forgetting, is that they appear too late.

playing my first willem game right now, since i didn't realize you can build dikes on coastal cities as well as river ones (duh, i'm a permanoob). set it up on an archi map of course since i stink at early wars. i got the harbormaster quest which is insanely good for him. on my way to steam power now, life will be so good when i get there, but yeah it isn't exactly early in the game. he's pretty cool tho, i liked his traits when cathy (i think it was) had 'em in vanilla.

I dont really like the ziggurat much since it doesn't really do anything special but appear early and i don't even think it's on sumerians tech list.. he doesn't start with myst so you have to divert down that path code of laws is also right after priesthood..

it's also pretty easy to beeline or do a slingshot to code of laws so you can get it really quick if you wanted it.

i think rathaus or whatever is the best building but i prefer the iklhanda or whatnot instead personally because it comes so early and goes well with zulu and his utterly crazy overpowering synergy lol ;) that is suppose to be kept hush so the don't nerf him anymore then they did with the dumb worker changes

alters are great tho too but no one mentions um cuz ppl don't really like the aztec uu so they get less playtime i think.

hippoderm is great, ball court is nice.

i think every building is amazing you just have to either know how to use it or it has to fit your play style, everyone plays differently so a different building is going to suit a different players needs more.

for instance, if your going for a cultural win the most powerful buildings in the game are prob a odeon and a pavillion but if your going for a space ship victory they are usless.

alot of people like to warmonger so that's prob why the rathaus and iklhanda get good marks.

i'd like to reiterate this last small detail..... dikes suck, thanks ;)

Top Bottom