1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Who should we begin war preparations against?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by eyrei, Jan 2, 2003.

?

Who should we prepare our military to fight?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2003.
  1. Russia

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Babylon

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. America

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  4. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

This is a poll to determine who we should gear our military towards a conquest of. The discussion thread is here , and has narrowed our options down to three civs: Babylon, Russia or America.

There will be another poll after the next turn chat regarding the actualy declaration of war.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I think we only have to "gear up" for America or Babylon. The quick attack on Russia shouldn't stress our Military too much. I voted for America.

3. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Even though I voted for Babylon, I'm still kind of torn between the two. Our productive cities are still in our core (Taliesin seems to be our best province). America would give us more productive land, but open us up to possible attack from the east (or south-east in this case), what-with that world war still raging on down there. Where are the Babylonian troops now? Are they still down there, or have they returned?

4. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

From what I've analyzed...

If we did get Russia and the Iroquois to declare war on Babylon, they have a much better chance at acquireing more cities. (or razing them). We only have 1 city that borders the Babylonian mainland, and that one is in danger of flipping. It would take 15-20 turns for our productive cities to send over units like muskets and cannons (catapult upgrades that the military has been working on - sort of a modified boomstick). Knights and Cavalry would make it in less time (in about half the time). In 20 turns, They're sure to have Cavalry as well. (BTW, they currently have about 40 units in our borders) Their city of Samarra has Saltpeter, but borders the Iroquois (a prime target for them).

Mainland Border Cities:

Russia - 6 Babylonian Cities
    Iroquois - 5 Babylonian Cities
    Fanatika - 1 Babylonian City

On a side note - most of our productive potential is "wasted" by foriegn cities around our FP.

Now for analysis on America:

England and France are embattled in a bitter war, which would give us time to move in before they decide they want part of the pie. Plus, our productive cities are so close to their border. They have 2 dyes within range (Babylon has one close to Russia). They have horses in Boston, which is somewhat close to the border and could prevent them from getting Cavalry. (They have saltpeter connected near Washington).

For "building up", I'm going to go with America on this one. They'll have more production... We could go for the west once we have tanks...

5. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Just when we seemed to be focusing on the here and now we slip back into a dreamland about the future.

We are no where near being able to field cannons and cavalry! If we wait until we have these units to fight our next war then Fanatika is in trouble indeed!

I think we are experiencing some serious communication problems in Fanatika. this poll should be a multiple choice poll. We should be gearing up our military to counquer America, Babylon, and Russia! That is not to say that we should attack all of them next!

America is indeed an annoyance and America's lands will one day make a great Fanatikan province. Babylon is indeed a threat that will one day be crushed by our military might. Yes, we should be gearing up for that day. But today is not the day to attack America. Today is not the day to attack Babylon. Today is the day to plan our strike against Russia.
    Russia is a targat that we can subdue with knights. Russia has lands near Kyoto that would give us an immediate boost in production. Russia's power can be nipped in the bud now. We could complete our preperations in 20 turns and complete the war against Russia in another 20 turns - that's one week for preperation and one week for war.
    Our goal is to round out the productive rings around Kyoto, break Russia's power forever (though not necessarilty to eliminate Russia) and to extort technology from Catherine - preferably chemistry and metallurgy and possibly military tradition. A further goal is to build up a force of knights that can be upgraded to cavalry when that is possible. Our cavalry could then deal with the Babylonian threat and add the province of America to our country.

6. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Militarily speaking, we couldn't ask for an easier border to defend than our eastern border as it stands now. It's a choke point.

If we are successful in taking several American cities, not only does this destablize the region (likely making both France and England a little more wary of our activities), but it also greatly increases our exposure, making it that much more difficult to defend our eastern border.

I was, admittedly in favor of tackling Babylon next, until Donsig made some good points in that previous discussion thread about Russia. We should capitalize on our defendable eastern front and continue our push westward.

Unless, of course, this poll is more of a long-term approach (ie. not what we can do now, but what we need to start building up for... ;)). But even if that's the case, we still had better start pumping out some more military units, or our battles are going to get a lot tougher....

7. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Excellent posts, CT, although it may have been better to post them in the Citizens sub-forum. I especially like the part about the Babs having 40 military units within our borders.

40J and donsig had good posts too, as I wouldn't mind the surgical strike against Russia to capture the cities around Kyoto (probably prompting a Cultural Flip (CF) by Riga. But I don't think this very short skirmish with a diplomatic solution will require 20 turns to prepare for. I also don't agree with the taking of America destablizing our Eastern border. It may increase the number of cities that the Eastern Nations can attack from 2 to 3 (I seriously doubt a nation would go through Washinton to get to The Burrows or Palanthus), but that is not a major destablization.

Overall, I see the quick strike on Russia, followed by the taking of America bringing us closer to Military Traditon and a larger production base. This will increase our chances of conquering Babylon.

8. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I have already voted (for Babylon), but I would like to say I now support a strike against Russia.

9. Kennelly

Kennelly Starfleet Admiral

I say war against America as they're like a thorn in our side and must go.

10. Furry Spatula

Furry Spatula ...

Russia is ripe for the pickings folks. America wouldn't be such a great idea. As stated before, it gives us a nice choke point. After Russia, we take out babylon, then the Americans.

11. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

12. FionnMcCumhall

FionnMcCumhall Emperor

i say no one and we worry about the internal instead of trying to annhilate everyone on the planet

13. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

We are not trying to annihilate anyone. We are endeavoring to bring the greatness that is Fanatika to as many people in the world as we can. ;)

14. Immortal

Immortal Deity

Interesting spin Donsig, but it is annihilation.

15. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I think we need to consider our next enemy. Altough I dont want to go to war right away, we cant stay peacefull forever!