1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polling Decisions

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by GaryNemo, Nov 20, 2002.

?

How shall we interpret authority, and our Constitution?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2002.
  1. D. Maybe best to run loose, as Duke suggested in Turn 420AD (R)

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. D. Maybe polls represent the binding will of the people

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. E. The Governors are a big help, they advise the Minister of The Interior. (R)

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  4. E. The Governors are a big help, they control their Province precisely.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. F. The Minister of The Interior seems to get the last word, thank goodness (?)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. F. The Minister of The Interior must defer to the decision of the Governor or other Minister

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. G. We are grateful The President gets the last word, not critical. (?)

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  8. G. I refuse to agree that The President gets the last word.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. J. I have another important idea for governance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

I am saddened greatly that the controversy last turn seems to have scared people off, and that myself and the Governors are gun shy. We need unity to conquor the AI. This poll replaces the "Taxing Matters" poll.

2. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

No one has absolute rule.

If the people feel that their representatives are not reflecting their views they can vote someone else in. If the representatives constantly go against the popular opinion, they can be impeached. This is not a black or white situtation. The information is gatherd, interpreted, and passed along.

I'll stress again, that's why elections are so important. It is not simply a popularity contest, but should be a vote of confidence of the persons ability to not only play the game but to be able/willing to listen to the people and convince them of their ideas.

3. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

DoM, I couldn't agree more.

4. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

I am abstaining on this poll.

5. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

If this was the Civ3 Game, we'ed be investigating leaders by the ton...

My opinion is that a democratic government is a construct of the people. It was created by the people, derives it's power from the people, and as such must act according to the will of the people. In our situation, polls are the best way to derive this will.

6. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

While the will of The People is important, I find that concern for it gives me caution in posting any new poll. That slows down Our Game. MonkE clearly believes a Poll Result represents the absolute will of the people. Yet it went down 3 : 4 in this poll.

Shall we poll this again? Perhaps, but I have another idea.

I think ANYONE can post a reasoned conclusion of a discussion, a specific immediate plan, either with or against a poll, or deciding a close poll. By adding Any objections? that could become the action plan for NUF's president. You reader, be sure that I will feel free to object to a plan, when I can propose what seems to me a better plan. The same goes for us all.

In this worst case then, if the posters tie, we honor the will of The People. Otherwise, the will of the conclusive posters might best serve NUF.

Any objections?

7. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I object:)
    I think it's a good idea to have discussions instead of polls on big decisions, but a question of what to build in our cities next or if we shall keep the current tax rate is not a topic for a discussion, unless there are special circumstances, or if someone comment on it in a poll thread.:)