1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polls: Ranking the UUs (Vanilla Civ3)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by LastMan, Apr 3, 2002.

?

Which UU is the best (Vanilla Civ3)

1. Immortal

86 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Samurai

63 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Panzer

43 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Rider

37 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. War Elephant

11 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Cossack

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. LastMan

LastMan Chieftain

After some basic research, I divided the UUs into the following categories

1. Immortal, Samurai, Panzer
      powerful units great for the conquests in ancient/middle/modern times.
    2. Cossack, Rider, War Elephant
      speedy attacking units, great for conquest in the middle age (perfect for the GA)
    3. Jaguar Warrior, Mounted Warrior, Impi, War Chariot
      scouts with defence/attack, great for the early exploration
    4. Man-o-war, F-15
      naval/air units
    5. Musketeer, Hoplite, Legion, Bowman
      a mixture of the rest of the UUs
      [/list=1]
      Here I wanted to post multiple polls to rank the UUs more precisely, but fount out it was impossible.

2. Beam

Beam Beat 'm up Scotty! Retired Moderator

Since UU is linked to a Civ and with the argumentation you are doing: aren't you saying what is the best Civ because of their UU?

Voted War Elephant btw.

3. No.Dice

No.Dice Chieftain

I voted for the rider, mobility and a well timed golden age. :)

But, IMHO,
    At the very least mounted warriors are equal to immortals. A two move swordsman, even with the reduced ability to retreat, is bordering on unbalanced.

I think there were better choices than the Cossack/War Elephant

An offensive unit with increased defense is useless.

While war elephants can be useful, unless you got seriously shafted with your starting position, you should be able to have iron/horses by the time they're available. If not you were just unlucky, its nothing to count on every game.

Jaguar warriors, Impis, or even war chariots are much more nifty, i think. :)

4. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

hey i think you forgot something.....
    the other civs UU are also good like a hoplite is great for a peaceful stragegy
    while i think that cossacks are not good (my opnion)
    and you forget the nice impi
    great for defending citys after you captured it with horesman

5. acivguy

acivguy Chieftain

edit: my reply seems to match the sentiments of others. I just read the rest of the replies :)

I really think the mounted warrior belongs on the voting section, and in your first group. even with the changes to retreat rules, 3 attack and fast in the ancient age is really good. Other than the poor timing for the golden age, they are probably one of the best 3 UU's -- and unlike immortals, you can upgrade them.

Also, why do you put the war elephants so high? They have the same stats as knights without the resource requirements, which is rarely useful (at least in my experience).

6. Candyman

Candyman Chieftain

OK so I voted the panzer, but there is a mistake that bugged me a bit when I got my hands on the game for the first time and I still feel that it should be corrected....

Hoplites where without doupt one of the greatest battle units of ancient times, only to be mached and surpassed by the later Roman legions.

So I believe that they should have an attack rating of at least 2, because they where a really very effective attack force as the persians found out during Alexander's the Great expedition...

I thing I will try to create a Macedonian Phalanx unit....

HMMMM sounds like a very good idea....
    let me get back to this some time later...

7. Lab Monkey

Lab Monkey Peace thru ultraviolence!

Impi. Basicaly an armoured horseman. They're easy to get and can easily cover the distance to an enemy city.

Also Bowmen are great. Normally when building an army you have to wiegh up spearmen against archers, but Bowmen combine the two.

8. raven

raven Chieftain

Mtd. Warrior.
    Play Iroquis and see what I mean.

9. Richard III

Richard III Duke of Gloucester

Immortals. I would like to say something else, but I have lost too many cities in too many games to Immortals to pretend otherwise.

10. silverhawk_civ

silverhawk_civ Chieftain

I am playing Indian with v1.21f. This their UU (War Elephant supposed to have the exact same attributes as the knight? They do in my game.:confused:

11. Ohwell

Ohwell Chieftain

I like the panzer and the musketeer best.

The panzer is fast, and covers lots of ground rapidly, so if you are bordered by a powerful Germany, watch out! :eek:

And the musketeer... it is good for not only defense, but it is good at cleaning up fodder with it's 3 attack value, so no wasting knights and cavalry on attacking units! :) The Golden Age comes at a good time also.

12. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

Yes, it is supposed to have the same attributes as a knight. The advantage to a war elephant over a knight is that a war elephant requires no strategic resources, while a knight requires both horses and iron.

13. Evincar

Evincar Iron works is a legend!!

Samurais are pretty much unstoppable.

They are excellent atackers, excellent defenders, fast, upgradeable, mid ages is great for GA...and, never ask me why, seem to have unlimited luck during combats...:) and, the most important thing: they are SO cool!!! :cool:

Also, inmortals are very good, but far, far away from Samurais.

14. player2

player2 Chieftain

You left out the best UU of all; the Iroquoi's Mounted Warrior. It's stats are inferior to later UU's of course, but if you've ever wondered what an ancient era blitzkreig would be like, the Iroquoi have the answer.

15. Chingis Khan

Chingis Khan Scourge Of The World

You are all wrong!!! The American F-15 rules!!! It is awesome because it can...no wait, it has more bombs?...no wait, it will protect your cities from bombers?...oh never mind, Mounted Warrior rules.:egypt:

16. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

I would list the Roman Legion as a powerful, conquering unit also. Use them like the Romans did: First build nice straight roads to your borders and then there is no stopping them!
    So I won't vote because of the absence of my personal fovorite UU.

17. radar42

radar42 Chieftain

Question for Acivguy. How were you able to upgrade Mounted Warrior?

I am playing Iroquis now at Emperor level with v1.21, and I am not able to upgrade to Knight even with barracks and lots of cash.

Can anybody verify whether this unit actually does upgrade?

Does not say so in the Civilopedia though... :cry:

18. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Chieftain

My vote goes to the War Elephant, but my second choice would be the Immortal. I like to get the GA to get that extra wonder or two in Middle Ages. It is a waste of time trying to build 10-15 mounted warriors if you have only 3 cities:p

19. Knowze Gungk

Knowze Gungk NOT a mushroom

My vote goes to the Panzer, mainly for the reason that it just looks cool, but also because it's the best offensive unit before the modern armor.

20. Trickey

Trickey Chieftain

The immortal is by far the best uu. You can build it as soon as you reaserch iron workink and have some iron. It has an attck of four so it is good into he middle ages and is unstoppalble in the ancient era. Five vet immortals can take out a good size civ in the early game for sure.